High compression pistons on stock ECU?

Jeezus

:
2002 Mazda Protege, 2002 Mazda Miata, 1982 Mazda RX7
Would the stock ecu work on higher compression pistons?

So a yes and a no?

I was looking at the 10.4:1 pistons.

Last edited:
The stock ECU will pull timing if the knock sensor is triggered. You will have no issues running the stock ECU with higher compression. Yes, you will need to run higher octane.

The stock ECU will pull timing if the knock sensor is triggered. You will have no issues running the stock ECU with higher compression. Yes, you will need to run higher octane.

That's not the right way to do it.

That's not the right way to do it.

The stock ECU will pull "If" their is knock. Their are many factors involved that are related to knock. Increasing compression is one of them. If he does nothing more than add compression, it's likely he will not see knock. The stock Protege ECU timing is already low. Now if he does have some knock, then the ecu will pull timing and "learn".

The stock ECU will pull "If" their is knock. Their are many factors involved that are related to knock. Increasing compression is one of them. If he does nothing more than add compression, it's likely he will not see knock. The stock Protege ECU timing is already low. Now if he does have some knock, then the ecu will pull timing and "learn".

You are very misinformed. I've tuned the s*** out of the FS, and researched to death how toe stock ECU works. Relying on the knock sensor as your sole means of avoiding ping is incorrect, stupid, and a "hack" way out of proper tuning.

You are very misinformed. I've tuned the s*** out of the FS, and researched to death how toe stock ECU works. Relying on the knock sensor as your sole means of avoiding ping is incorrect, stupid, and a "hack" way out of proper tuning.

Please enlighten me as to the timing table the stock ecu has? I also have tuned the FS and spent countless hours on it. As for relying solely on the knock sensor, that was not what was said. I said if knock occurred, the stock ecu would pull it. Safety feature. 10.4-1CR with the stock ECU, cam overlap on stock degree'd cams and profiles will be just fine. Like I said, their are many factors related to knock/ping/detonation. The stock ECU is very capable of pulling timing if knock is present.

Back