Hesitation with no code - Solved

:
2009 Mazda5 Sport
This seems to deserve a fresh thread.

This 2000 Protege ES has been doing this jerk, twitch or hesitation on acceleration -- it just fails to rev up for a moment. It only seemed to be in a certain temperature range (never when dead cold), only in first or second gear (either right off the line, or on the other side of the intersection), mostly in summer, and sometimes only with the A/C on. It never threw a code for it, so no check engine light.

Over time I've replaced vacuum hoses, spark plugs and their cables, cleaned the MAF sensor, and tried to validate the MAF readings via OBD. I thought I had it solved when I changed out the cracked air intake hose (that one DID throw a code), but it didn't last. Threw in a bottle of Techron (which may actually have helped but didn't solve anything).

Then I saw eszoom's success comment in this thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...famous-coil-packs-going-bad-or-something-else

Simple as that. Just finished replacing the ignition coil pack weekend before last and sure enough, that solved it. $40-ish on Amazon (C-821) and it bolts in. Wish I had seen that much sooner.

How many miles are on your odometer? That would be helpful for others whose odometers may be approaching the same numbers.

hesitation during acceleration usually means issues with ignition... always check the coils first on Proteges (any model). from my understanding, coilpacks on these cars last roughly 30k-40k miles. one of mine took a dump a few months back, replaced the entire factory P5 setup with 1.8 liter coilpacks and never looked back ;)

...very close in mileage to my recently sold Protg which I owned for 9 years - never needed a coil pack. I guess I was lucky.

Back