Has anyone had their seat foam altered?

:
Utah
:
2021 CX-5 GTR
Just got a new CX-5 GT-R and like many others are extremely disappointed in the seats. My wife and I both find them painful after a short while, even though we have two totally different builds (one of us very thin). I am used to European cars with firm supportive sport seats and they never bother me. These manage to be neither supportive nor comfortable. I have had cars with uncomfortable seats due to the lack of lumbar support but that seems fine here.

I have read every thread here about it; some people say they break in a little but others say they don't. I've thought about putting a bag of sand in them every night, but not sure if it will help. Right now we are sitting on $7 Walmart foam, but that's not a long term option. I may get the $30 cushions off Amazon but I really hate the idea.

Several suggest talking to an upholstery shop, which I plan to do tomorrow, but has anyone actually done that? My understanding is it is not a big deal to remove the cover -- my local Dodge dealer installs those Katzkin covers all the time. I know side airbags can be risky, but the bottoms should be easier. I don't know how ventilated seats complicate the issue though, and I don't know if the bolsters are just foam or mostly metal. The other risk is anything that raises the cushion will alter the position of the lumbar support which might cause other problems.

Mazda really should offer a retrofit solution -- officially sanctioned instructions and new foam. (Not expecting it to be free.) I know the leather wouldn't Here are some instructions I found on the web, although it doesn't mention ventilated seats and I don't follow it very well.

If we can't do this we will probably sell the car, it's that bad. We had planned on buying a used European car but wanted something more reliable, but now regret it. I've also thought about getting some cloth seats from a lesser model, but it sounds like they aren't great either.

Just got a new CX-5 GT-R and like many others are extremely disappointed in the seats. My wife and I both find them painful after a short while, even though we have two totally different builds (one of us very thin). I am used to European cars with firm supportive sport seats and they never bother me. These manage to be neither supportive nor comfortable. I have had cars with uncomfortable seats due to the lack of lumbar support but that seems fine here.

I have read every thread here about it; some people say they break in a little but others say they don't. I've thought about putting a bag of sand in them every night, but not sure if it will help. Right now we are sitting on $7 Walmart foam, but that's not a long term option. I may get the $30 cushions off Amazon but I really hate the idea.

Several suggest talking to an upholstery shop, which I plan to do tomorrow, but has anyone actually done that? My understanding is it is not a big deal to remove the cover -- my local Dodge dealer installs those Katzkin covers all the time. I know side airbags can be risky, but the bottoms should be easier. I don't know how ventilated seats complicate the issue though, and I don't know if the bolsters are just foam or mostly metal. The other risk is anything that raises the cushion will alter the position of the lumbar support which might cause other problems.

Mazda really should offer a retrofit solution -- officially sanctioned instructions and new foam. (Not expecting it to be free.) I know the leather wouldn't Here are some instructions I found on the web, although it doesn't mention ventilated seats and I don't follow it very well.

If we can't do this we will probably sell the car, it's that bad. We had planned on buying a used European car but wanted something more reliable, but now regret it. I've also thought about getting some cloth seats from a lesser model, but it sounds like they aren't great either.
It’s unfortunate the seat comfort erased all other good virtues of a vehicle. We’ve seen too many complaints on this for gen-2 CX-5, and I’ve been trying to remind people testing the seat before making the purchase. The problem is still people usually can’t feel the problem during a short test drive.

I don’t buy the break-in theory on seat comfort, rather, I believe it’s the person who gets used to the uncomfortable seat. Some people blamed the problem on narrow seating surface with firm side bolsters. If this’s the case for you, not sure how much you can do on a design problem.

You should always try a reputable upholstery shop and find out what they can do for you. But I share your concerns especially the excellent ventilated front seat feature which may stop most ideas of seat modification.

It’s unfortunate the seat comfort erased all other good virtues of a vehicle. We’ve seen too many complaints on this for gen-2 CX-5, and I’ve been trying to remind people testing the seat before making the purchase. The problem is still people usually can’t feel the problem during a short test drive.

I don’t buy the break-in theory on seat comfort, rather, I believe it’s the person who gets used to the uncomfortable seat. Some people blamed the problem on narrow seating surface with firm side bolsters. If this’s the case for you, not sure how much you can do on a design problem.

You should always try a reputable upholstery shop and find out what they can do for you. But I share your concerns especially the excellent ventilated front seat feature which may stop most ideas of seat modification.
Thanks. I'm surprised no magazine reviews mentioned seat issues. It's dumb that we didn't notice it on the test drive. But it was only 5 minutes and we were focused on other things (performance, handling). I hadn't intended on buying a car that day, it was just to see if it was a candidate, but I was letting my wife make the decision as it's her car and she wanted it and really wanted it then. I had intended to try to rent anything I was interested in buying but totally forgot.

Thanks. I'm surprised no magazine reviews mentioned seat issues. It's dumb that we didn't notice it on the test drive. But it was only 5 minutes and we were focused on other things (performance, handling). I hadn't intended on buying a car that day, it was just to see if it was a candidate, but I was letting my wife make the decision as it's her car and she wanted it and really wanted it then. I had intended to try to rent anything I was interested in buying but totally forgot.
You’re not alone based on too many reports here on seat uncomfortable issue from gen-2 CX-5. Yes most of time it’s hard to find out such issue during a short test drive and, like you said, most people are concentrating on too many other things at the time.

Love the CX-5, hate the seats...Any way to make them better?

2019 CX-5 Signature, Seat discomfort?

19 CX-5 GT-R uncomfortable drivers seat fix?

2019 CX-5 Signature Seat Swap?

Any bolt-in seat upgrades?

Is anybody having seat comfort issues?

Got my CX-5 Today

Sorry, but I couldn't pull the trigger (sad-ish)

There is no long term solution as far as I know. It has been discussed a lot in reference to Gen2 CX5.

For some people (myself included) the seats are not very comfortable for longer drives. Seating pad is not long enough to support legs and bolsters are too hard. Plus on some years the leather on the seating pad is sagging.

Adjusting position of the seat (there are some very good instructions in the car manual) does help but does not fully remove the issue. You can minimize it to say 75% but at the end the seats are crappy design structure for some people. For others its ok.

You dont see it much in the 'magazines' because I think most so called magazines are paid reviews and not always objective.

Last edited:
Yes, seat comfort (lack thereof) definitely cost them a recent sale to a friend of mine as I highly recommended the CX-5 but after driving it, the first thing he mentioned was how much he and his wife disliked the seat comfort. He purchased an Audi instead which he loves so Mazda really needs to address this and soon.

The seats are definitely uncomfortable! I can't believe the night and day difference between the CX-5 seats and those in my 21' RDX. Wow!

Is the seat discomfort correlated to having the ability to have cooling seats....and would altering the seats affect the performance of the cooling and heating of the seats?

Is the seat discomfort correlated to having the ability to have cooling seats....
Not likely as the the seat comfort complaints started a lot more frequently since the gen-2 CX-5 came out in 2017 but ventilated front seats are only available since 2019 MY. Besides, not all trim levels on CX-5 since 2019 MY offer ventilated front seats.

and would altering the seats affect the performance of the cooling and heating of the seats?
Very likely on ventilated front seats; less likely on heated seats.

Hello, fellow CX-5 owner. I just bought at '19 GT with heated/ventilated leather seats and cannot believe how uncomfortable the seats continue to be. I noticed they seemed rather stiff on a test drive but convinced myself I could find a comfortable setting. Not happening. I am 6'4" and 185 lbs, so I don't have a lot of natural padding. My wife is 5'4" with a bit more natural padding (we'll leave it at that), and she also finds them uncomfortable. I read every single review I could find on the CX-5, and not one mentioned seat comfort as an issue, which just floors me. We are using these pads, which take the "edge" off the seats somewhat, but they block the heating/cooling. They stay in place nicely, and I'd recommend them, but they do not solve the problem:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
And they don't match the parchment seats. I, too, will be visiting my local upholstery shop to see if there are any other options. I don't think we'll be able to keep the car long-term. Good luck, and if you find a workable solution, please let us know! Thanks.

There is no universal seat that everybody likes. It is either too soft or too hard. But it is true that it takes some time to break in a seat and they do break in eventually.

Mazda seats, like those of some other Japanese makers, are not perfect for American butts. The bottom cushion is too short, the bolsters are too close together, and bottom cushioning is too sparse. Many folks will be able to adapt - I am among those folks - but some simply cannot. This just highlights the absolete requirement to test drive a vehicle before you buy. You cannot rely on “reviews”. I cannot imagine why anyone would buy a vehicle purely online like Carvana offers, millennial “convenience” and “saving time “ I guess. Some of these shortcomings can be fixed by an experienced upholstery shop, some cannot.

My 2018 GT has the best drivers seat I can recall using. I've owned Acura, Honda, Mercedes, Infiniti, Nissan and Isuzu over the last 30 years.

It’s weird for me. My previous car was a 03 Mercedes. Obviously much more comfortable seats plus they were very well worn in. Also I’m going from a car to a suv so the angle is a bit different on sitting. So far I don’t love the seats, bought it 3 weeks ago, but I hope they break in a little better

Usually I attend the annual Auto Show where I can sit in any car there. For the last couple of years they cancelled them because of the shutdown.
So I haven't sat in the newest models.

I can say this about my 16.5 with cloth seats:
The seat is 20" wide with about 15" between the bolsters. The depth of the seat pad is about 19". The foam is firm.

I wonder what exactly is different about the newest seats?

there is a big difference in the seating pad and thats why the issues present with gen2 more frequently.
Gen1 is more ergonomic vs gen2 which is like sitting on a bench in the park with rough bolsters + the front part is not long enough.

gen1
20210504_105039.jpg

20210504_105416.jpg

gen2
20210504_105056.jpg

20210504_105446.jpg

Last edited:
It’s weird for me. My previous car was a 03 Mercedes. Obviously much more comfortable seats plus they were very well worn in. Also I’m going from a car to a suv so the angle is a bit different on sitting. So far I don’t love the seats, bought it 3 weeks ago, but I hope they break in a little better
I should add that this is my first SUV, and the angle probably has a lot to do with me liking it.

I have a little Nissan pickup, also higher than a sedan, but not as high as CX-5 and it has old worn out manual seats.

Yeah both times I had a loaner gen 2, I thought the seat comfort was horrendous. My gen 1 seat on the other hand is fine.

there is a big difference in the seating pad and thats why the issues present with gen2 more frequently.
Gen1 is more ergonomic vs gen2 which is like sitting on a bench in the park with rough bolsters + the front part is not long enough.

gen1
View attachment 298172

View attachment 298178

gen2
View attachment 298173

View attachment 298177

What is the actual measurement of the seat pad depth (front to back) of both seats? Gen 1 definitely looks like it protrudes more, but maybe the side bolsters are just shorter.

Back