Has anyone had their seat foam altered?

they dont make like they used to :)
but yeah most comfortable seats Ive been in were cars from prior 2001-2002
It seems to be. Even gen-1 CX-5, especially the 2016 MY with seating surface lengthened, received much less complaints than gen-2 CX-5. Although I still feel the lumber support on driver seat even with the adjustment is lacking, and the head rests on front seats are too much forwarded on my 2016 CX-5.

We bought a couple of these cushions: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) My wife (5 foot 4, 130 lbs) uses hers all the time, including long trips, and swears by it. I used my for a while, but it was terrible on a long trip for me (6 foot 4, 185 lbs.) and I have over time become used to the seat cushion. I adjust the seat height/angle often, and that helps. One thing to remember is that these memory foam cushions become hard in the cold until they are warmed up.

When I drive for extended periods (3 to 4 hours) in my wife's 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD, my right leg gets numb. Its an issue due to the throttle placement (at least for me) and seat bottom being a little less supportive then what I would like. Not horrible just a little annoying. I weigh 160 lbs and I'm 5' 11".

Hello all. I wish I had read these post before I bought a used 2018 CX-5 Touring back in early July of this year. I love the SUV, but hate the seats. While driving do most of you find the pain to be in the right hip area? Two earlier post almost hit the nail on the head. It is a bolster issue. The front seats are not symmetrical about the centerline. The inside bolster (next to the center console) has more rake in it to accommodate the seat belt buckle. While the outside bolster (next to the door) is more flat-ish. At 6 foot tall and 225 pounds that inside bolster keeps my right hip sore. I'm going to try a wedge car seat cushion and modify it to fit the shape of the bolsters. I'll post how it turns out. For the most part Mazda really missed the ball with the seat design.
I've felt the pain (and numbness) on longer drives and I'm shorter and lighter than you.

I haven't gotten the nerve, or time, to have the seats redone. I was hoping we would sell the car, but she likes it ok with the above-mentioned cushion from Amazon PLUS a piece of foam under that cushion between the bolsters. I'm still not sure I would like it on long trips though. But to not be able to use the heaters or ventilation is lame, and you can't slide in and out as easily.

bottom most position of the lower seat and 0 incline of the bottom part seems to help. Your legs wont rest on the bolsters that much.

I haven't gotten the nerve, or time, to have the seats redone. I was hoping we would sell the car, but she likes it ok with the above-mentioned cushion from Amazon PLUS a piece of foam under that cushion between the bolsters. I'm still not sure I would like it on long trips though. But to not be able to use the heaters or ventilation is lame, and you can't slide in and out as easily.

What specifically did your wife not like about the CX-5 seats ? I read the OP and understand you both find the seats uncomfortable but I am not clear if that is because you find them too firm or too soft ?

there is a common problem on the Gen2 that a lot of a people find. Seats are too firm. More specifically the bottom side bolsters on the seat are too hard and the seating is on the small and narrow side.

there is a common problem on the Gen2 that a lot of a people find. Seats are too firm. More specifically the bottom side bolsters on the seat are too hard and the seating is on the small and narrow side.

My take is that the 2016 (Gen 1) seats were great because of their firmness and support. In contrast, the 2017-2021 seats (Gen 2) are much softer , which for some is uncomfortable because there is less support. I never measured the seat size/width so I won't comment about that aspect.

My 16.5 has pretty firm seats. I put a memory foam cushion on my driver's seat for any trip over an hour or two.

My take is that the 2016 (Gen 1) seats were great because of their firmness and support. In contrast, the 2017-2021 seats (Gen 2) are much softer , which for some is uncomfortable because there is less support. I never measured the seat size/width so I won't comment about that aspect.
One of the changes on gen-1 2016 CX-5 facelift is to lengthen the seating surface on all seats which makes seats feel more supportive than previous seats. I guess Mazda didn’t follow the upgrades on gen-2 CX-5, and changed them back to be less comfortable.

My 16.5 has pretty firm seats. I put a memory foam cushion on my driver's seat for any trip over an hour or two.
Yes, my 2016 GT seat is only good for short trips. Any drives longer than 2 hours will make me feel very uncomfortable.

One of the changes on gen-1 2016 CX-5 facelift is to lengthen the seating surface on all seats which makes seats feel more supportive than previous seats. I guess Mazda didn’t follow the upgrades on gen-2 CX-5, and changed them back to be less comfortable.

Gen 1 covers 2012 to 2016? 2012 to 2016.5 ?
What are the differences between 2016 and 2016.5?

To 2016.5.

Are the bucket seats different between 16 & 16.5?

I have back issues and find the 16.5 seats comfortable for long trips. 6’2” and very large lol.

Gen 1 covers 2012 to 2016? 2012 to 2016.5 ?
What are the differences between 2016 and 2016.5?
In US, CX-5 started in late 2012 as the 2013 MY, although Mazda started selling 2012 MY CX-5 worldwide. The last gen-1 CX-5 MY is 2016.5, as the facelift CX-5 came out in late 2014 worldwide as the 2015 MY, but in US Mazda North American Operations categorized it as 2016 MY and started selling it in late Jan., 2015. Since it’s over a year selling the 2016 CX-5 in the US, MNAO decided to re-arrange some features among the different trim levels, such as offered heated front “cloth” seats on Touring, and categorized those as 2016.5 MY and started selling in Feb. 2016 until the 2017 gen-2 CX-5 was coming out in late Mar., 2017.

So what are the differences between 2016 and 2016.5? Nothing other than the fuel filler pipe bracket upgrade and rear disk caliper revision to fix safety issues and design flaws.

To 2016.5.

Are the bucket seats different between 16 & 16.5?

I have back issues and find the 16.5 seats comfortable for long trips. 6’2” and very large lol.
The seats are the same between 2016 and 2016.5 CX-5. As mentioned above, 2016.5 CX-5 Touring has “heated” front cloth seats.

Last edited:
What specifically did your wife not like about the CX-5 seats ? I read the OP and understand you both find the seats uncomfortable but I am not clear if that is because you find them too firm or too soft ?

Too firm. In general I like relatively firm seats, I'm used to German cars. As mentioned the side bolsters are the biggest culprit -- they are rock hard. I took it to an auto upholstery shop, and he said they were the hardest he had ever seen. It wouldn't be as bad if the seat base were as wide as most cars, but it's narrow, so you end up sitting on the bolsters a little. And I'm thin.

The base is hard for me as well, feels like I'm sitting on a wood bench. Typically firm seats are not as comfortable initially but pay off on long trips, where the lack of support of soft seats becomes an issue. But these get worse the longer you spend in them.

In 19 cars I've only had 2 others that I couldn't stand, both due to lack of lumbar support. That aspect is fine with these.

Back