Has Anyone Found Appropriate Chains for 19" Wheels & Tires Yet?

:
Occupied Calif.
:
2019 CX 5 GT-R
The highway from my mountain community had chain requirements due to snow a couple of days ago.
The California Highway Patrol says chains, or 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicles are allowed if they have "snow tires", My 2019 GT-R has 19" wheels with Toyo A36 tires which are stamped M+S (mud and snow) on the sidewalls. I understand that those are really "all season" tires and not dedicated snow tires.
There was a document included with the owners packet for my car that said that you could not put "chains" on it. I assume that they mean conventional chains ? How about cable chains and has anyone found a brand that do not have fitment or clearance issues with the suspension components like some have reported ? I sure would like to have a set available. I live on a pretty steep street and feel that they would be helpful there and of course on the highway if there are travel restrictions.

The M+S designation on the tires meets California's "snow tire" requirement.

Only chains will clear the structs.

IMG_1685.jpg

Hi. I just got a 2019 signature which has the same 19" rims and Toyo A36 tires. I didn't receive any documents with my car saying not to use chains. In fact, I already bought "normal" chains not knowing that. Would you mind posting a picture of your document so I can see what it says? Thanks!

Here is a scan of the notice regarding the caution against using tire chains on my CX 5. It was with the assorted financing documents and was not in the regular owner's manual pouch.

Referring to the manual for details as the notice suggests (see manual, Sections 3-50 and 3-51) discusses the use of chains but makes no mention of the recommendation not to use them. I assume that is because the manual is rather generic and also covers the other models that do not have 19" wheels which apparently aren't subject to the notice not to use chains. The "other type of tire traction device" that the manual discusses are studded tires. Not much clarification from Mazda.

Attachments

• CX 5 Tire Chain Notice.jpg
    CX 5 Tire Chain Notice.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. I looked through my paperwork and definitely didn't receive that warning with my car. Since I already purchased the SZ429, I gave them a test fit. It actually clears the wheel well and main cylinder of the strut fine. But what worries me is the clearance to the lower part of the strut as well as clearance to the strut stop pads. Both were around 1/4" or less. Here are some pics.20191231_152651x copy.jpg20191231_151709x copy.jpg20191231_151419x copy.jpg20191231_145233x copy.jpg20191231_144834x copy.jpg20191231_144804x copy.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I looked through my paperwork and definitely didn't receive that warning with my car. Since I already purchased the SZ429, I gave them a test fit. It actually clears the wheel well and main cylinder of the strut fine. But what worries me is the clearance to the lower part of the strut as well as clearance to the strut stop pads. Both were around 1/4" or less. Here are some pics.View attachment 221979View attachment 221980View attachment 221981View attachment 221982View attachment 221983View attachment 221984

What happens when the chains get iced up?

Here is a scan of the notice regarding the caution against using tire chains on my CX 5. It was with the assorted financing documents and was not in the regular owner's manual pouch.

Referring to the manual for details as the notice suggests (see manual, Sections 3-50 and 3-51) discusses the use of chains but makes no mention of the recommendation not to use them. I assume that is because the manual is rather generic and also covers the other models that do not have 19" wheels which apparently aren't subject to the notice not to use chains. The "other type of tire traction device" that the manual discusses are studded tires. Not much clarification from Mazda.

I got a CX-5 with 17" wheels and I was also made to sign the no chains thing during financing. I read somewhere online that somebody emailed Mazda about it and they had no idea why dealerships were making people sign this.

I got a CX-5 with 17" wheels and I was also made to sign the no chains thing during financing. I read somewhere online that somebody emailed Mazda about it and they had no idea why dealerships were making people sign this.

My dealer did not make me sign such a document.

Could it be a regional thing?
Did you purchase wheel/tire insurance?

My dealer did not make me sign such a document.

Could it be a regional thing?
Did you purchase wheel/tire insurance?
I didn't get any insurance. Probably depends on the dealer. I Iive in an area where we get snow in the mountains and then we have to get chains or cables.

Last edited:
The 2021 owners manual actually encourages carrying chains with you for winter driving, but cautions they may only be used on the front wheels.

Mark

The 2021 owners manual actually encourages carrying chains with you for winter driving, but cautions they may only be used on the front wheels.

Mark
That might be a problem as I think they require all four wheels in some places.

While M+S marked tires are usually legal, some have poor snow traction. All have poor ice traction. Real winter tires have the mountain & snowflake symbol for Severe Winter Service. Recently developed All-Weather tires have the mountain & snowflake symbol, but Consumer Reports says that they aren't as good on ice as real winter tires. They're OK in snow and OK all year.

Class S tire chains are the thinnest for the most clearance. Some Class S are thinner than others. There are non-chain substitutes that are approved in place of chains in most states, but never ever drive them on pavement, only on a snow base. They'll shred in short order when driven on pavement.

The street I live on is very steep. I had an incident last winter where there was about 2" of fresh snowfall on the ground and I approached my house going just a little bit too fast. The ABS system kicked in and I slid down the street rapidly approaching the trees at the dead end. Luckily the road flattened out near the end and I was able to stop and then execute a U turn and head cautiously back up the street and turn into my driveway. My car has AWD but the tires seem to be a limiting factor. I would feel a whole lot more confident in driving (and being able to stop) on my mountain roads if I could install some chains on the front tires. Just pulling out of my driveway and making a 90 degree turn onto the street in snowy & icy conditions to get started up the steep incline causes me to remember several Catholic prayers from my youth in case my desired forward direction turns into an undesired rearward direction.

The street I live on is very steep. I had an incident last winter where there was about 2" of fresh snowfall on the ground and I approached my house going just a little bit too fast. The ABS system kicked in and I slid down the street rapidly approaching the trees at the dead end. Luckily the road flattened out near the end and I was able to stop and then execute a U turn and head cautiously back up the street and turn into my driveway. My car has AWD but the tires seem to be a limiting factor. I would feel a whole lot more confident in driving (and being able to stop) on my mountain roads if I could install some chains on the front tires. Just pulling out of my driveway and making a 90 degree turn onto the street in snowy & icy conditions to get started up the steep incline causes me to remember several Catholic prayers from my youth in case my desired forward direction turns into an undesired rearward direction.
Winter tires on separate rims for Dec to March are a better solution, at least for me.

Chains are for once or twice a year ski trips or traveling over a mountain pass. Winter tires will give you safer grip all Winter, including when its just cold out without snow.

Chains tear up the roads if there isn't enough snow, limit driving speed, and only help when you have them on. Plus you have to put them on and take them off as the conditions dictate.

If you go too fast and a chain breaks loose I'd hate to think what it could do to the undersides.

Winter tires on separate rims for Dec to March are a better solution, at least for me.

Chains are for once or twice a year ski trips or traveling over a mountain pass. Winter tires will give you safer grip all Winter, including when its just cold out without snow.

Chains tear up the roads if there isn't enough snow, limit driving speed, and only help when you have them on. Plus you have to put them on and take them off as the conditions dictate.
I have to agree with tires. I did not think tires made such a big difference, but my WRX came with summer tires and required me to purchase a set of winter tires and wheels, and what a difference. Made all season tires I had in other cars, including AWD cars, pale by comparison.

There are also advantages to winter tires. Actually getting smaller wheels, higher profile and narrower sections make the whole package much more palatable. Also the Tire Rack makes it very easy!

I have to agree with tires. I did not think tires made such a big difference, but my WRX came with summer tires and required me to purchase a set of winter tires and wheels, and what a difference. Made all season tires I had in other cars, including AWD cars, pale by comparison.

There are also advantages to winter tires. Actually getting smaller wheels, higher profile and narrower sections make the whole package much more palatable. Also the Tire Rack makes it very easy!
And you can get a set of used Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 wheels from Craigslist for under $200. The winter tires pay for themselves because they prolong the life of your all season tires.

I only get snow 3 or 4 times a year and it has usually melted, at least on all the paved roads within a few days. Buying a set of wheels and dedicated snow tires isn't practical. I'd like to just have a $75 set of chains that I could install in the comfort of my garage when needed. It is retarded of Mazda not to have designed their suspension to accommodate the occasional use of snow chains.

I may just do an online search and try to find some that really hug the sides of the tires so as to not interfere with any components and do a test fit in the garage. I can always send them back before driving on them.

Back