Harsh Ride

tuOdekcalB

:
09 Mazdaspeed 3
So my rear shocks were blown about 8 months ago and replaced them with Bilstein B6's (did them myself and mechanic checked them like a month ago and couldn't see anything loose).

I don't remember how the ride was when I first got it but lately it is really harsh. I am feeling every bump like I am driving over the grand canyon. There rattling in the back constantly, like the rear windows are lose or something. I have to blast the radio so I dont hear it. I checked everything in the back (jack ect) and everything is tight.

I have had the car for 6 years and not sure if this just how the car rides and my tastes have change to a more smoother ride. Is this how the car rides? If not, what are remedies to get a smoother ride?

Yes, the B6s are firm. Bone rattling, teeth jarring firm. But, your car will not squat or lean. If your old shocks were shot, you could no longer feel how firm they were when new. However, those Bilsteins are much stiffer than even new OEM shocks. Much more.

Because of the extreme control of your rear suspension, especially on compression you feel everything. Their stiffness is also transfering more of the load to the rear sway bar. The rattle you hear is probably one or both of the sway bar end links. I had to tighten one of them a long time ago. I believe there is a hex wrench involved and a second wrench of some kind to hold the endlink in place to keep it from rotating while it is tightened. Apply blue Loctite to keep it from backing out. They may be worn out. Replacement end links are cheap.

There are also sway bar bushings that can make the noise when old, worn, and the rubber getting hard. I still have my OEM back there, but had to replace both the end links and bushings in the front when I put in B6 struts and replaced rhe upper strut bearings. I did all four corners at once.

Replacing end links and/or bushings is a common maintenance item on our cars once they get old. That will stop the noise, but will not soften the ride. That is the Bilsteins. If you have tires with very stiff sidewalls, like my AD08Rs, the harsh ride is even more pronounced. This is the price we pay for performance. If this is too stiff, you can replace them with OEM or equivalent and sell them. My guess is that they will sell quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks you so much! That was exactly what I wanted to hear. The ride I can deal with its the rattling like my rear windows are going to fall out which is the problem. I have all OEM except the rear shocks so maybe I do need to replace some of the parts you described. The car is 6 years old w/ 52k miles on it.

Could you recommend some good endlinks and brushings I should purchase.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back