hacking GPS to type address while car is in motion... anyone know how?

The same locking is set up for the "vehicle" Options on the HeadUnit. When moving, this Option Tab is greyed out and no option is availble to be touched.
Can Any European guy confirm that this Vehicle Options can be set up while moving?
If they can, this could be more hardware or HeadUnit dependant
Had any US NAvigator on the early versions this feature activated?

The same locking is set up for the "vehicle" Options on the HeadUnit. When moving, this Option Tab is greyed out and no option is availble to be touched.
Can Any European guy confirm that this Vehicle Options can be set up while moving?
If they can, this could be more hardware or HeadUnit dependant
Had any US NAvigator on the early versions this feature activated?

I can adjust the settings for the car while driving along.... I haven't tried all the functions, but have altered the settings for the lighting and wipers while the car is moving.

Is enough. All my settings under "vehicle" tab are unselectable once the car is moving.
The same piece of hardware and software combination is acting on the headunit as well as on the nav

I just emailed them at http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/emailMazda.action and asked them to reconsider this restriction for U.S. drivers. Told them my story of trying to go someplace yesterday and voice control could not get the street right. My husband was driving, but I could not enter in the address manually. I ended up using my Android phone, Google Maps, and streaming the instructions via Blue Tooth. Pretty unnecessary workaround.

Maybe if they get enough feedback they will change it.

I really hope not. Although you were a passenger in this scenario, there are a bunch of people not smart enough to watch the road as it is...

The stupidity of certain people cant be paid for the rest. The system should detect at least the copilot in order the nav could be touched. I the same way the airbag detects the passenger due to the weight

Enough weight with a backpack or something else would also trigger the NAV to accept input during driving. Then the same nutcase will be typing and just like texting no eyes on the rode. Each his own and how they want to destroy their vehicle, just don't let them hit me...

The stupidity of certain people cant be paid for the rest. The system should detect at least the copilot in order the nav could be touched. I the same way the airbag detects the passenger due to the weight
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's that simple. If the passenger airbag is not activated, lock out the manual input. Hopefully they will add this fix.

The smart city braking is great, now I can text in stop and go traffic and don't even need to look up. Having the lockout on the GPS doesn't let me utilize the SCBS very well.

As soon as the courts start ruling that way and punish those that bring stupid lawsuits against companies then the problem will be solved.

Until then companies will just be more and more paranoid.

I agree that it would be cool if it could sense a passenger but you'd still have the problem of the drivers using it and blaming Mazda if someone was maimed or killed. And a sympathetic jury going "ohhh, Mazda has so much money they should pay them millions for the heartache they have to suffer through"
They need one of those screens that shows a different image depending on which angle you are looking so the passenger could see to type and the driver couldn't.

Last edited:
"Enough weight with a backpack or something else would also trigger the NAV to accept input during driving. Then the same nutcase will be typing and just like texting no eyes on the rode. Each his own and how they want to destroy their vehicle, just don't let them hit me..."

I'm less worried about people hurting their cars or mine and more worried about them killing other people. I could post MANY articles like this one (and others with cyclists being killed), but here's one that happened in my city not long ago that took 2 people from one family. Unfortunately, we have laws because people can't use good sense.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...w-hopes-in-life-ended-in-accident-4080332.php

truly tragic.

and yet, like a drunk driver, people will insist that they can drive perfectly fine while texting, surfing, or updating facebook.

I'm surprised anymore if on my commute I don't at least see 2 or 3 cars playing road pong (bouncing between the lines) while looking down for 5+ seconds and a quick glance up at the road and then back down. Or driving along a 4 lane freeway doing 55 when everyone else is doing 65+ because they are doing the same head bobbing game. Then when they finish with their important task they speed up and try to make up lost time. Or the ones that don't go when the light changes to green or they go but don't accelerate over 15 mph because they are trying to finish up their typing.

And I would bet each one of them would claim that doing that while driving doesn't impact their driving at all.

if the voice control worked properly and didn't kick off with the 'safety lock' then this wouldn't be a problem, but it doesn't..

if the voice control worked properly and didn't kick off with the 'safety lock' then this wouldn't be a problem, but it doesn't..

Agreed. Whats the point of voice activation if it locks you out when you start to drive?!
The same thing with the texts being read, you have to stop to download.
The same thing with Pandora, you have to take your phone out to ACCEPT.

My voice activation for the Nav works. I dictate the address and it lists it on the screen.

The smart city braking is great, now I can text in stop and go traffic and don't even need to look up. Having the lockout on the GPS doesn't let me utilize the SCBS very well.

Go ahead and try that and then come back on the site and tell us how much the damage is for you and the person you hit. The SCBS does not stop the vehicle it reduces the travel on the brake pedal so you can stop quicker.

My voice activation for the Nav works. I dictate the address and it lists it on the screen.

Mine does too when you are not moving.....when your stopped and start to drive, the voice command shuts off and the screen goes back to the map. POS Tomtom.

Mine does too when you are not moving.....when your stopped and start to drive, the voice command shuts off and the screen goes back to the map. POS Tomtom.

Sorry, I left out the part that I can dictate while moving.

Sorry, I left out the part that I can dictate while moving.
Yeah,ours does too. But, I think I tried it once while stopped, and then started moving and it shut down in the middle and went back to the map. Started the voice recognition again and it worked.

Go ahead and try that and then come back on the site and tell us how much the damage is for you and the person you hit. The SCBS does not stop the vehicle it reduces the travel on the brake pedal so you can stop quicker.

Incorrect. SCBS actually stops the vehicle if you show no signs of breaking and there is an obstacle in front of you. It will cut the gas and apply the breaks.
Check out:http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-City-Break-Support)-Tried-and-tested-Sort-of!

Audi takes it a step further and uses it as a cruise control feature, instead of just a safety feature like Mazda does.
Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa_ZSRj0WM0
Funny thing is, CX-5 has all the sensors to do this kind of cruise control (Smart City Break Support + Lane Departure Warning System).

I test drove a 2014 GT CX5 on Saturday and the sales lady on the passenger seat was keying in an address while I was driving. Is the lock out tied in to the seat sensor?

Back