hacking GPS to type address while car is in motion... anyone know how?

Wish they would also consider whether the 2nd passenger airbag was activated and presume my 'co-pilot' was handling navigation, letting it happen. The "I agree" buttons when starting are quite annoying too.

i'll have to test that out next time i'm at the local mall with the underground parking, didn't think of that, good call

Try taping a metal can over the shark fin to block the gps signal and see if data entry is disabled or not as you drive. If not -disabled it is from the gps, if disabled - it is likely from vehicle wheel speed or transmission speed sensors via main cpu. If data entry works with the can covering the antenna as you drive, you might put a switch in the antenna feed that you could open while you are entering data and then close for normal navigation, you may need a resistor the size of the antenna rather than a open line. The CX-5 has in effect a lan on a twisted pair that all the components talk to the cpu with. If the speed info is coming from the cpu you might be able to put a switch in the twisted pair going to the gps from the cpu and open the circuit with a switch to enter data and then reconnect it, but it will throw error codes when the cpu looses contact with the gps and may disable the gps (?)

it's definitely keyed off a vehicle input, was in underground parking last night and screen said 'searching for gps signal' yet the safety lock still operated

so now we need to find a wiring manual/schematic to determine the trigger wire

I have 2 nav units, ones a 2008 factory Ford that had a software hack, though it does require a few keystrokes every start up to enable the hack. And a aftermarket pioneer avic F90bt that had a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire that was left disconnected so that it would not lock up in motion. Both units actually have VSS wires. My bet is that this TOMTOM UNIT use both GPS and VSS. When GPS signal is lost the NAV unit knows vehicle speed and can give accurate ETA's and whatnot. The VSS is definately the culprit of the lockout, find the VSS wire cut it, problem solved. As with the Ford nav, there was a software disablingway of disabling the VSS, so this one prob has a way also.

i've looked at the service manual wiring diagrams and i can't find anything obvious that serves as the vss, i'm afraid it might be a bus signal from the engine computer not a dedicated wire

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814555-Stereo-Wiring-Diagram-Pin-Outs-and-Stereo-Removal-Instructions-for-the-CX-5/page2

on page 2, there is aan attachment to a PDF of general connector pin outs on Mazda cars, IDK if this means anything to us.

I do want to add that you will lose some of the smoothness when disconnecting the VSS form the head units. Like I said previously, while in tunnels the NAV will just stop and say no signal, and in the rare occurance that GPS signals are lost the unit will not advance. I guess at that point, the unit acts just like a portable unit and they seem to work pretty well.

Last edited:
I realize it can be annoying, but as a cyclist and runner and other driver on the road, I would suggest you keep your eyes on the road. Additionally, I wish we could disable ALL texting while driving since people aren't smart enough to figure this out for themselves.

I realize it can be annoying, but as a cyclist and runner and other driver on the road, I would suggest you keep your eyes on the road. Additionally, I wish we could disable ALL texting while driving since people aren't smart enough to figure this out for themselves.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have installed may a GPS and DVD system in may cars and I know that the preventative feature for them is that they must be tied to the parking break all I do is tie the to something else that provide 12v and it would trick the system to thinking it was in park and let you watch DVDs when driving. I would assume the built in one might be a bit more fancy like listing for the trigger to lock the doors when you car gets above 10 KM/h. Just my two cents but you would have to have an oscilloscope to watch for falling and rising changes on each wire from the harness that goes to the head unit a simple volt meter might not catch a fast trigger that only lasts 1 clock cycle. You have digital and analog mixed in their most likely, hopefully its just as simple as the parking break/in gear trigger but might not be that simple in a digital car.

I can type addresses and use all functions of the Sat Nav while driving at any speed... Maybe they don't care about the safety of their UK drivers so much?

In for a solution as well. I was getting so angry while using the voice activation that it kept locking me out when in stop and go traffic. Just let the passenger input the destination!

I'm pretty sure it's tied to movement detected by the GPS signal

Other than North America you can type on the move. This behavior must be in the NA software. Someone who knows their stuff could take a look at the setup files on the non NA TomTom and compare it to the NA files and may be able to change a parameter and make it work. Comments?

The screen lock is utterly pointless and stupid. Funny how it locks all menus, then unlocks when you get above given lock speed. At least work around that fault somehow.

BTW, the speed sensor is speedo based, not GPS.

I just emailed them at http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/emailMazda.action and asked them to reconsider this restriction for U.S. drivers. Told them my story of trying to go someplace yesterday and voice control could not get the street right. My husband was driving, but I could not enter in the address manually. I ended up using my Android phone, Google Maps, and streaming the instructions via Blue Tooth. Pretty unnecessary workaround.

Maybe if they get enough feedback they will change it.

Back