H&R lowering springs

(2thumbs)(2thumbs)

I have not got an alignment yet as I just installed them today. The install was completed by myself and like I said it is so much easier than my VW.

howlow1.gif

Hopefully this image will give some an idea on how much of drop to expect.

now back to the ride after 190 miles, few 40+ mile trips with 4 passenger and some luggage.

smooth road, highway, similar to stock, if road imperfection, large dips, the car will rebound more, if you have other cars with shorter stiffer springs you know the feel. but is not harsh. my wife didn't notice any difference.

cornering, from my butt G sensor it feels flatter, less top heavy feeling, yea 1.5" drop is not that much off, but that lowers CG by 1.5"

as for mileage I didn't notice anything, I'm about to drive to LA again next week I'll see if there is a change.

yes, not sure how long the stock shock/struts will last, so Bilstein, Koni and Tokico please make some for us :)

so yes I will not go back to stock springs.

Thanks pt for excellent write-up and specs.

As expected (as you clearly described), we now know some ride deterioration occurs with these lowering springs.

I'm disappointed that the car couldn't be brought back into compliance with Mazda's alignment specs. I know running a little too much negative camber doesn't bother some, but having fought the good fight with premature tire wear a couple of times, I don't see "rotate the tires a little more often" as a solution. The fact that there are no camber kits available for the CX-5 (at the current time) only adds to this concern for me. But thanks anyway for the heads up pt!

yea the front is really not big of a deal and is not that off from spec. if you really want the camber back, like someone one posted, just slot the top 3 holes. It doesn't bother me, my BMWs have more camber than this and the wear is not that bad. The rear is more off still not that much, and yes can cause more wear and I"m not sure if there is a fix for it. I'll see how long my first set of tire last and where it is wearing. I'm looking for light 18" rims in the future. I'll post back later.

If anything, I'd prefer a bit more negative camber. I take on and off ramps fairly hard, and the outter edges of my CX-5 will definitely wear faster than the inner edge given my driving habit. As I have said earlier, aggressive toe settings will wear edges of treads much quicker than equivalent caliber of camber.

yea, my old track car have -3 upfront (camber kit to bring it up to -1.5), -1.8 in the back, just rubber there is always more :)

Can one install lowering springs with minimal tools, garage equipment and average mechanical skills??

If you have a working knowledge of suspensions and some spring compressors I don't see why not. This suspension seems so much simpler than some I have seen.

Why? Do you need some sort of press to do it?

Sorry, you did not sound so confident in performing the install. That is usually the first sign to put it in the hands of someone more experienced and has the proper tools. Besides having the know-how and basic hand tools, jack, jack stands and spring compressor; if a compressor and impact gun can be available to you, it can make the job a lot easier!

If you are confident at this point, download a copy of the service manual from the How-to section of this forum before going into it. Good luck!

based on bay area hourly rate, most shops probably charge you 3-4 hours, so expect about 3-400 bucks, and 100 bucks alignment.

if you have a helping hand you can give it a shot, just spend the afternoon on it but you do need to have the tools.

-torque wrench up to 160+ ft-lbs
-1/2" drive breaker bar
-jack, jack stand
-socket set up to 23mm, 1/2" drive
-Allen head 3/8" drive type.
-Open end wrench 14-19mm
-Spring compressor, manual type

FYI, you can rent spring compressors for free from most auto parts stores (Advanced, Autozone, etc.)

Sorry, you did not sound so confident in performing the install. That is usually the first sign to put it in the hands of someone more experienced and has the proper tools. Besides having the know-how and basic hand tools, jack, jack stands and spring compressor; if a compressor and impact gun can be available to you, it can make the job a lot easier!

If you are confident at this point, download a copy of the service manual from the How-to section of this forum before going into it. Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys!

I just ordered H&R from THMotorsports. They are doing free shipping on it atm (cheaper than CS + free Shipping).

Thanks BB. How are you finding ride quality now that you've had them on for a couple of weeks?

The ride does not bother me at all. but I also came from a lowered GTI. I would say it is close enough to stock that most people would not notice, but you do feel a little more of the bumps but not allot, not enough to annoy my 55 year old mother. I actually enjoy the ride more myself as I tend to like to feel the road some when I drive, helps me feel more connected to the car.
So they have been approved by mother and my wife, and that should say allot.

Back