H&R lowering springs

My recent experience is primarily with Eibach and F-sport/Lexus lowering springs and they do provide written alignment specs. I agree that deviations from those specs are made due to personal preferences and it's important to use experienced shops for any of this work.

My recent experience is primarily with Eibach and F-sport/Lexus lowering springs and they do provide written alignment specs. I agree that deviations from those specs are made due to personal preferences and it's important to use experienced shops for any of this work.

Primary reason for the information is that Toyota's original intention is for the tech that is installing the springs is to align the vehicle. It's a Toyota Standard and not an industry standard. The majority if not all suspension companies will not specify alignment specification. Toyota has a rule of thumb when doing stuff in which everything is to last a minimum of 10 years (depending on which part of course) hence the durability of the vehicle compared to others. FYI this is based off of my work experience working as a Toyota supplier.

When I did susp work on my other cars, incl. lowering the toe didn't change, because I didn't remove the tie rods? Yes I agree by lowering the camber will increase -.75-1.5 will help turn in. Too much will create uneven wear. I have yet to do the swap and get it aligned.

just looked up the specs, talked to the guy who does all my alignments, by lowering more than 1" toe will change a bit, so I'll have it aligned after the swap.

Last edited:
Primary reason for the information is that Toyota's original intention is for the tech that is installing the springs is to align the vehicle. It's a Toyota Standard and not an industry standard. The majority if not all suspension companies will not specify alignment specification. Toyota has a rule of thumb when doing stuff in which everything is to last a minimum of 10 years (depending on which part of course) hence the durability of the vehicle compared to others. FYI this is based off of my work experience working as a Toyota supplier.

Good to know, thanks. Toyotas intention of durability has achieved results. With my Lexus IS350 I purchased the Eibach 350 springs and they also came with recommended alignment specs (they are the same springs as the F-Sports but in black, not blue).

For the H&R's I assume we should not expect specs.

By far the easiest install. Coming from a vw it is night and day difference on how easy it is to do this. The ride quality did not change that much I only notice a little difference between the stock and H&R springs. Took me about 2.5 hours in a dim garage.

By far the easiest install. Coming from a vw it is night and day difference on how easy it is to do this. The ride quality did not change that much I only notice a little difference between the stock and H&R springs. Took me about 2.5 hours in a dim garage.
How did the realignment go and were you able to do the install yourself, or was help required? Please post pics!

Last edited:
I have not got an alignment yet as I just installed them today. The install was completed by myself and like I said it is so much easier than my VW.

howlow1.gif

Hopefully this image will give some an idea on how much of drop to expect.

Looks good; thanks. Did you take any measurements to see if you got the advertised 1.25/1.74" drop? Please let us know how the alignment goes.

Oh, man. Thanks for the before/after .gif. That is amazing.

Drop looks PERFECT. Man, I wish I could convince my wife to let me do this. It's her car, so she has final say.
But a drop that subtle...if I am careful, she may not even notice!

That does look good, very tastefully done. Makes the factory 19's standout even more.

Curious to hear after a few hundred miles what ride and handling impressions are...

love it.

let us know how the alignment works out. hopefully stock adjustment hardware can easily compensate.

make note of any mpg differences. you should get better aero and highway mpg. (hint: this is how you justify to wife :p )

nice, I've also did mine took me 3 hours, compressing the spring took the longest.

I'm going to measure the drop after alignment next week or after I put some miles on them. and give some ride feedback, so far it feels like stock, I'll give it some time.

here are some pics, side by side, stock springs are tall.

here is center wheel to lip

stock springs:

Front lip to center: 465mm
Rear lip to center: 480mm

H&R:
Front: 430mm
Rear: 440mm

front lowered: 35mm/1.38"
rear lowered: 40mm/1.57"

again just after install less than 5 miles, I'll post after a week and alignment, (eyeball with tape measure so give it +/- 3mm) I think that is what they advertised.

Attachments

• IMG_7846.JPG
    IMG_7846.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_7848.JPG
    IMG_7848.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_7853.JPG
    IMG_7853.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_7854.JPG
    IMG_7854.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 577
  • photo hr.JPG
    photo hr.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
Thanks pt00323i; will look forward to your updates! Didn't realize they were blue. All the better to match my Sky Blue paint!

I went to the Auto Hobby (a kind of do-it yourself- shop with optional help to hire, tools to rent etc) shop at my local base to see what they would charge to swap the shocks. The guy tried to tell me that there were struts on the rear and shocks on the front, then after I pointed out the shocks in the rear he tried to say that the front only had struts lol.

Anyone who did their own replacment, did you unhook the auto-leveling wiring (rear suspension)?

I paid 250 shipped from THMotorsports, getting my alignment done this friday, will let you know how much it went off.

update.....after alignment:

Note there is no Camber and Caster adjustment.

R and L are set very close I'm only listing one side, units in Deg, converted from CX5 manual, before=after H&R install, after=after alignment

Front
Toe: -0.17 to +0.33/.........before: -0.40/ after:0.06
Caster: 6.4.................. (not adjustable)/after:6.5
Camber: -0.33 to -0.36 ..........(not adj)/after:-0.7

Rear
Toe: -0.17 to +0.33/.........before: 0.17/ after:0.06
Camber: -0.85 to -1.0 ............(not adj)/after:-1.6

so after lowering you do need to do alignment to adjust the toe, as for the camber, is a little more than spec, but will help handling and just rotate your tire more often.

now back to the ride after 190 miles, few 40+ mile trips with 4 passenger and some luggage.

smooth road, highway, similar to stock, if road imperfection, large dips, the car will rebound more, if you have other cars with shorter stiffer springs you know the feel. but is not harsh. my wife didn't notice any difference.

cornering, from my butt G sensor it feels flatter, less top heavy feeling, yea 1.5" drop is not that much off, but that lowers CG by 1.5"

as for mileage I didn't notice anything, I'm about to drive to LA again next week I'll see if there is a change.

yes, not sure how long the stock shock/struts will last, so Bilstein, Koni and Tokico please make some for us :)

so yes I will not go back to stock springs.

Last edited:
Back