Guiltless Gas Sippers: 10 Cars That Deliver the Most Fun Per Gallon

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
By: Greg N. Brown

Date Posted 09-15-2005

Even with gas north of three bucks a gallon, you don't have to give up driving fun for the sake of miles per gallon (mpg). There are cars out there that offer both driving pleasure and guilt-defying fuel economy from every gallon. These 10 are our favorite fun-to-drive gas sippers, the cars that offer the enthusiast driver rewards far beyond fewer stops at the pump.

But remember that "actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's conditions." In other words, EPA gas mileage figures are mere approximations of real-world fuel economy, and your results will undoubtedly differ. Should EPA estimates then be discounted as meaningless?

Well, as a certain bushy-haired physicist once proclaimed, "It's all relative," and that's how we judged the cars on our list. Every one boasts a very favorable economy index relative to the fun we've had testing and driving them. They're the fossil-fuel-friendly cars we want to drive, and we've listed them in alphabetical order.

acura.rsx.500.jpg

2006 Acura RSX Type-S: 23 city/31 highway
OK, this successor to the Integra is getting long in the tooth, but until its replacement is here for 2007, it'll do very nicely as a resourceful runner. The 201-horsepower 2.0-liter is capable of 15-second quarter-mile bursts and 0-to-60-mph times well under 7 seconds, but the car's strength is in its blend of performance handling, upscale ride quality and optimal use of a gallon of gas. Fuel: Premium

audi.tt.500.jpg

2006 Audi TT 3.2: 22 city/27 highway
The revolutionary little coupe/convertible has been around long enough to be considered an icon of modern automotive styling, but it's staying young with a great DSG gearbox and a 3.2-liter V6. Futurists figured we'd be driving zippy little spaceships by now. That hasn't happened, but a TT with 250 hp and paddle-shifted six-speed transmission comes close, and you don't have to come down to earth very often to gas up. Fuel: Premium

chevrolet.corvette.500.jpg

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: 16 city/24 highway
Waithear us out. This best ever 505-hp V8 Vette can do it all. It's bloody fast, lapping the infamous Nrburging faster than any production car except Porsche's Carrera GT, but it's also exempt from the federal gas-guzzler tax (although we doubt racecar driver Jan Magnussen got close to 16 mpg on his flying lap of the Nordschleife). No other supercar comes close to the Z06's combination of performance and economy. Fuel: Premium

honda.civic.500.jpg

2006 Honda Civic Si: 22 city/31 highway
Once the darling of furiously fast youth, the Si has matured over the years to become a paragon of smooth, effortless performance. Now a proper sport coupe instead of milquetoast hatchback, the all-new Si drives younger than ever, but it's also a wiser machine. Power is way up to 197 hp from the new 2.0-liter, but highway fuel economy remains unchanged. Fuel: Premium

mazda.miata.500.jpg

2006 Mazda MX-5: 24 city/30 highway
The little roadster has been dear to our driving hearts since it rebirthed the two-seater market in America, and the all-new Miata makes those hearts beat even faster. Longer and wider, it's still a nimble playmate that earns the claim of most fun for the buck. For under $25 grand, you get a more powerful 170-hp, 2.0-liter engine that also delivers improved fuel mileage. A perfect example of bigger can be better. Fuel: Premium

mini.cooperconv.500.jpg

2006 Mini Cooper Convertible: 27 city/35 highway
The Mini's styling first caught our attention, not the modest 1.6-liter engine specs. Then we drove the Mini, and the visual attraction was matched by our love of its dynamic personality. Easy on the eyes, and just as easy to drive quickly, it's had a lot to do with the masses understanding the concept of "handling." And as a convertible, it couldn't be cutier. Fuel: Premium

porsche.boxster.500.jpg

2006 Porsche Boxster: 20 city/28 highway
Probably the world's best all-around two-seater, the littlest Porsche delivers big payoffs with its superior balance and practicality: two trunks, long range and free climate at the drop of the top. "Settle" for the 240-hp, 2.7-liter base engine and avoid the options list, and the Boxster's a huge bargain compared to older brother 911, yet it delivers pureblood Porsche pleasure. Fuel: Premium

subaru.wrx.500.jpg

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX : 20 city/27 highway
One of our own just drove the newest WRX, with larger 2.5-liter turbo and revised face, and there's nothing going to wipe the grin off his face. The 230 hp is backed up by a rich stash of torque that finds its way through all four 17-inch wheels and low-profile performance tires for superior grip. Upgraded brakes and a quicker steering ratio also provide the driver with a more intimate feel for the road. Fuel: Premium

toyota.corolla.500.jpg

2006 Toyota Corolla XRS: 26 city/34 highway
It's not the most exciting car on the list, but for less than $18,000 there's a lot of reliable performance to be enjoyed behind the XRS badge. The sophisticated 1.8-liter engine puts out 170 hp through a close-ratio six-speed manual, the 16-inch alloys are wrapped by summer performance tires, and bespoilered bodywork adds a sporty profile to the enhanced performance. Want a quick, grippy econocar that starts every morning? It's hard to do better. Fuel: Premium

vw.gli.500.jpg

2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI: 25 city/32 highway
Turbos are now so efficient, it's a wonder every car doesn't have a blower under the hood. VW's new 200-hp, 2.0-liter turbo in the new GLI shows how modest displacement can provide bravura performance. Order the fabulous dual-clutch DSG automanual transmission and get F1-type shifting, torque, revs and good mpg in a sporty package. Ausgezowie!or something like that. Fuel: Premium

source:http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=107241#2<!-- end Primary Content --><!-- PR3662: related discussion --><!-- end related discussion --><!-- Footer content -->

Last edited:
I would donate a paycheck if I saw a real life person with their normal driving habits get 24mpg out of a corvette..

I disagree, 2 people in my brother-in-laws family own new z06s and they drive them like old fogies I am sure they get pretty close to 24mpg sadly enough. Though one of them (chief of police) sometimes opens his up on the GS parkway once in a while since his "license is made of teflon."

You forget that 90% of the people that buy Z06 vettes are all baby boomer 50+ year olds (you've seen them; the guy with the baseball cap, Polo shirt and sunglasses on the way to play golf). I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating a fact. Most of them like driving the car, but don't get on it that often, which is sad.

On the other side of that, I doubt I get even close to the 30 mpg that the MSP is rated at. Why? Because I like to imagine I'm Mario Andretti on the way to work every morning.

Spooled said:
You forget that 90% of the people that buy Z06 vettes are all baby boomer 50+ year olds (you've seen them; the guy with the baseball cap, Polo shirt and sunglasses on the way to play golf). I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating a fact. Most of them like driving the car, but don't get on it that often, which is sad.

Irony at it's best. They are doing that while we are driving our lil four bangers to death.

Spooled said:
On the other side of that, I doubt I get even close to the 30 mpg that the MSP is rated at. Why? Because I like to imagine I'm Mario Andretti on the way to work every morning.

QFT

as I am the same way :)

seanmcsean said:
I would donate a paycheck if I saw a real life person with their normal driving habits get 24mpg out of a corvette..

My fiance gets about 25 in mixed driving out of her C5. 31mpg on the highway!

Do you want to send this month's or next month's paycheck? ;)

kurt said:
My fiance gets about 25 in mixed driving out of her C5. 31mpg on the highway!

Do you want to send this month's or next month's paycheck? ;)

not a z06 there champ (thumb)

You didn't say Z06, you said Corvette (nana)

Anyway, not that it matters. Both get nearly the same mileage.

Most Corvette owners won't see that mileage anyway because most of them are auotmatics.

hahaha, my gf's dad has an 04 z06. his lowest was 8mpg, best so far is 19mpg on his way up to tahoe. that car's insane. can't even begin to imagine the 06 z06

Back