Great mpg so far on 2023 CX-5 Turbo

:
2023 CX5 turbo
I only have 550 miles on my 2023 cx5 turbo dealership had filled the first tank so never really know how full they fill it. I ran it down under 1/2 a tank or so and filled it how I always fill ie when pump kicks off do two more clicks and call it good. Today I had 333 miles on the fill up I did and it took 11.4 gallons. so 29.2mpg. this was just running around with kicking in the turbo every once and a while up to 90 or so. the computer showed I was right at 28mpg so not too far off from actual. I would think on a road trip I will easily break 30mpg. I am happy as my sticker says 24/27mpg and already better than that. I have the tires at 35psi as per the door sticker. It is still winter here so can't wait to get some summer fuel and try out some high octane......

Don't fill it past the shutoff. It can damage something. There was a bunch of threads awhile back about it. When it clicks and shuts off don't add anymore.
two clicks don't go past. if you keep filling it can clog your charcoal canister. two quick clicks don't do that. it adds about 1/10th more fuel but makes each fill consistent.

The previous posts are correct. This isn’t a 1990s vehicle, over-filling can cause damage, sometimes very expensive damage. I’s not just Mazda, most manufactures face the same issue. Stop when the pump first shuts off. An extra 1/10th or two simply isn’t worth it. You’ve been warned.

Our 2023 Turbo has 1500 miles. According to the gauge on the car we are averaging 24.4 mpg. Our old 2016 FWD Grand Touring averaged 28.4 for my wife driving to school and back.

More than likely the AWD, being a new car at least the first few hundred miles, a small weight difference and the turbo account for the difference. Going in I knew it would be less.

We haven't taken it on a toad trip yet.

Last edited:
I find mine is pretty good on fuel on the highway IF I keep the speeds down. As soon as I am over 110 km/hr, aerodynamics start to really kill the fuel economy.

I find mine is pretty good on fuel on the highway IF I keep the speeds down. As soon as I am over 110 km/hr, aerodynamics start to really kill the fuel economy.
hopefully mine will stay good at 80mph. Where I live if you drive under about 80 old ladies flip you off as they pass you and semi trucks tailgate you...:)

I will be surprised if your mileage remains that high - especially if you have fun with the turbo;). My 21 is around 22-25mpg with mostly in town rides. If I do a long distance highway drive it's typically around 26-27mpg. I have never seen anywhere close to 30mpg. What does your cluster say about your MPG?

I will be surprised if your mileage remains that high - especially if you have fun with the turbo;). My 21 is around 22-25mpg with mostly in town rides. If I do a long distance highway drive it's typically around 26-27mpg. I have never seen anywhere close to 30mpg. What does your cluster say about your MPG?
it was showing 28mpg. I was surprised it was actually higher as usually in my experience the computer is usually optimistic. Maybe I am not trying hard enough :) to exercise the turbo..I am at over 600 miles now so I can play a little harder.

may be the landscape plays a role?
locally here there is lots of ups and downs on the roads and highways, more uphill usually and the mpg drops more there. example
one direction can get me 28-29 mpg then the same road going back is 24 mpg. Avg goes to 26

may be the landscape plays a role?
locally here there is lots of ups and downs on the roads and highways, more uphill usually and the mpg drops more there. example
one direction can get me 28-29 mpg then the same road going back is 24 mpg. Avg goes to 26
montana so either going up or down. speed limits are 75-80mph

I've had mine for almost a year. I drive pretty aggressively with quick accelerations , occasional triple digits and average about 80-85+ on the freeway going with the flow. My mileage is down to 21 mpg lol. But I'm not worried about mileage since you don't buy the turbo model with a concern for mileage.

I have been considering moving away from Mazda, for more leg space. But I actually really like my Mazda. I upgraded from a 2017 CX5 FWD to a 2020 CX5 AWD. Slight drop in mpg but I love the handling, also thinking about going back to FWD because of slightly better MPG.
But yesterday I test drove a 23 Turbo. 😳😳😳😳😳WOW! The punch the way it handles.
I am strongly considering this model, I wouldn’t push it all the time. But 26/28 combined MPG is not too bad.

I have been considering moving away from Mazda, for more leg space. But I actually really like my Mazda. I upgraded from a 2017 CX5 FWD to a 2020 CX5 AWD. Slight drop in mpg but I love the handling, also thinking about going back to FWD because of slightly better MPG.
I am strongly considering this model, I wouldn’t push it all the time. But 26/28 combined MPG is not too bad.
If you drive aggressively the mileage on the turbo would be a lot less. My 22 averages about 21mpg. But I drive aggressively because I don't care about mileage.

on my 2023 I have just over a 1000 miles now and have been enjoying the turbo on every drive and I have gotten better than the epa estimated mpg on each tank full. granted I am not in grid locked city traffic but do some stop and go city driving and been doing a 26 or so mile round trip 2X a day at about 60mph where I can kick the turbo in up to about 90mph a few times each trip :).

on my 2023 I have just over a 1000 miles now and have been enjoying the turbo on every drive and I have gotten better than the epa estimated mpg on each tank full. granted I am not in grid locked city traffic but do some stop and go city driving and been doing a 26 or so mile round trip 2X a day at about 60mph where I can kick the turbo in up to about 90mph a few times each trip :).
Not bad at all👍🏾

filled up today.
IMG_3285.jpg
IMG_3285.jpg
IMG_3286.jpg
IMG_3288.PNG

Back