Great mpg so far on 2023 CX-5 Turbo

just got back from a 966 mile road trip from Montana to Oregon and drove the posted speed limits so anywhere from 60mph to 80mph and for the 966 miles I took 33.552 gallons so pleased as can be. now have about 2600 miles on the car.
IMG_3444.jpg

I just returned from a trip to DC from MA. I averaged 30 mpg when keeping it 72 mph. On the way back I got 28.6 going 80 with some considerable stop and go. My daily commute average is about 26, and my overall average is 24.6 at 6,000 miles. I bought my 23 turbo in December, so my numbers are based mostly on winter gas, driving etc. where mileage typically goes down. I see those numbers steadily increasing as the weather gets nicer. I can’t complain at all.
This was my first long trip and I’m quite pleased with the way it behaves on the highway. There is plenty of top end left for stress free passing.
The bonus is zero issues with the car so far. At this point I had made 6 trips for defects on the 2021 F150 that I traded in for the Mazda. 12 overall before I traded it.

My CX5 on the other hand….. Efficient, fun, reliable, and easy on the eyes.

My 2022 Preferred (non-turbo) was getting around 30 mpg highway when I first got it, but now (6k miles) after an dealer oil change it dropped to 28 mpg per the dash. Not sure why, not driving it different either and tires are properly inflated. Still, fun car to drive though a turbo would have been a nice sporty thing to have, but it would have cost me about $4k more at the time I bought the car.

My 2022 Preferred (non-turbo) was getting around 30 mpg highway when I first got it, but now (6k miles) after an dealer oil change it dropped to 28 mpg per the dash. Not sure why, not driving it different either and tires are properly inflated. Still, fun car to drive though a turbo would have been a nice sporty thing to have, but it would have cost me about $4k more at the time I bought the car.
You cannot go by the Trip Computer mpg, it is not that accurate. :(

so far my hand calculated has been better than the computer on every fill up. Never had a vehicle do that before. usually the computer is optimistic but I hand figure every fillup and so far always better than the computer shows.

[my best Bill Lumberg voice] soooo, yeaaaah, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with that statement. 😜

In my case, I have found all of my Mazdas' trip computers to be fairly accurate when compared to pen and paper math calculations from miles traveled and pump gallons purchased over thousands of miles (not individual fill-ups). IMHO.

...was getting around 30 mpg highway when I first got it, but now (6k miles) after an dealer oil change it dropped to 28 mpg per the dash. Not sure why, ...
If I were to guess, I'd say your 30mpg was over a longer period and something was reset with the "dealer oil change" visit and your 28mpg is since that reset happened. May take some time to climb back up. Colder temperatures takes more energy to make things move.

In my case, I have found all of my Mazdas' trip computers to be fairly accurate when compared to pen and paper math calculations from miles traveled and pump gallons purchased over thousands of miles (not individual fill-ups). IMHO.
Well, maybe your 'fairly accurate' is different from mine. ;)

We have three Mazdas amd two other maker's cars. I'm kinda anal and we keep written records of miles/gas/calculated and trip computer mpg - resetting the trip mpg at each 'full' fuelup. Although the trip computer's accuracies are "OK", they all vary by up to +-3mpg from calculated refill measurements.

Well, maybe your 'fairly accurate' is different from mine. ;)

We have three Mazdas amd two other maker's cars. I'm kinda anal and we keep written records of miles/gas/calculated and trip computer mpg - resetting the trip mpg at each 'full' fuelup. Although the trip computer's accuracies are "OK", they all vary by up to +-3mpg from calculated refill measurements.
ditto I reset my A trip every fill up and the computer has always shown less than hand figured. I have hand figured 99.9% of every fill up I have done since the 70's. I just do it out of habit.

Just reset the Trip A counter at every fill-up. It should also reset the mpg meter
I reste the A trip and yes the computer recalculates but it still is lower than what I get dividing miles drive ie the A trip by actual gallons pumped in. for some people close is fine but I like to know exactly not nearly :) we are all wired differently tho.

I reste the A trip and yes the computer recalculates but it still is lower than what I get dividing miles drive ie the A trip by actual gallons pumped in. for some people close is fine but I like to know exactly not nearly :) we are all wired differently tho.
if you're that meticulous about it, you also have to use the same gas pump every time and stop pumping the first time it clicks off. on my Mazda 6 the counter is usually .5-1 mpg off from the manual count

Ha! I didn't want to derail everyone on this little side excursion lol. It's just funny (odd funny) to me that folks discount the precise fuel metering measurements of the ecu in favor of the imprecise multiple variables of a single tank fill.

I know some of you mentioned that you track your fuel numbers pretty religiously over time but individual fills can vary for sure.

if you're that meticulous about it, you also have to use the same gas pump every time and stop pumping the first time it clicks off. on my Mazda 6 the counter is usually .5-1 mpg off from the manual count
I use the TFL way of pumping gas have been doing it that way for 50 or so years and unless I am traveling, I generally get fuel at the same station and usually the same pump most of the time. I would same I am pretty close to being as accurate and reliable with the same fill level as possible. What I can say is every single fill up and I usually only fill up when I am at a 1/4 tank or so unless I am traveling then I let it go almost to empty. My hand figured numbers are better than the cars computer is showing and on all my other vehicles it has always been the other way. I do agree one or two fill ups will never tell you the story but multiple fill ups over time will. I put over 30,000 miles a year on so lots of fill ups :)

Gauges are never perfectly accurate. I have no idea how much variance there is when I put 12 gallons in my CX-5 from fill to fill, but I'd bet that it's less than 16 oz. That is a 1% difference. My gauge is up to 2 mpg optimistic, so about 8% off.

Back