Got hit from the rear :[

BlackCherry

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Alright so here's the scene. I'm driving to the movies with a close friend of mine. He just got his license....ohhhh lets say a month ago. So he's still fairly new. So anyways we're driving and he's being a moron. And he ends up rear ending me after I came to a stop at a stop sign (apparently he doesn't stop at stop signs?) So he ends up giving me a bump hard enough to rock my car and passengers a fair amount. I got out looked at the damage. He hit the left side. It's a little scuffed up, there's a little crack, and the bumpers popping out a little on the left. I'll post pictures when it gets bright out. But I need your guys opinions on what to do. And should I be looking for any kind of internal damage like behind the bumper, or do you think it's just what's visual? Also what do you think that'll cost to repair? Thanks in advance!

Mistake #1: not filing a police report to send to insurance.

No no he's a really good friend of mine he's just getting started I was planning in getting a little body work done soon anyways couple rashes every here and there and the clear coats going so I figured I'd get it all done at once. If it's nothing, and just that little bit on the body I don't mind paying it, just as long as that actually atleast gave him a wake up call to driving

A police report and the hit on the insurance would have woken him up for real. It did for me.

I don't wanna be a dick about it though :/
I remember my wake up called it sucked, 9 points on my license, I don't wanna talk about it haha.
But yeah no points sounds good, if anything I'll just make him pay for it

In my experience any repair in a body shop is going to cost $1,000 or more. You cannot tell how much damage is under the outside damage without someone with body repair knowledge inspecting the car. Surely the bumper support parts are damaged based on what you told us.

I agree you should have called the police and let them make a report. In any case your friend should pay for the damage.

I recently had my Mazda 3 hit in the rear at a stop light. We didn't feel anything in the car. The hit was a swipe in the in the right rear, if the other car had been 6 inches further to the right it would have missed my car. Bumper damage, tail light broken and some fender damage behind the gas filler. Cost to repair was a little over $1k plus the other car's insurance company provided me with a rental car.

Clifton

Last edited:
Really? Call the police on a good friend of mine? :/ dang that's kinda rough in my opinion, but I've been wrong before. I guess I dunno I'll have you guys take a look at the pics soon enough, it's not horrible, it just doesn't look nearly as nice as it did

Well you should of gave him the wake up call, especially if he is just getting started as you say...and he isnt much of a "GOOD FRIEND" if he didnt even offer to pay for the damage for "being a moron", vice you MAKING him pay for it...IMO

is it just me?
i was expecting some explicit pictures of some kind of intercourse from the thread subject.
haha
"got hit from the rear"

come on....

Dude, it's not "calling the police" to take him away. It's calling the police to get a report of the accident written up in the event insurance needs to pay.

Let's say, hypothetically, you get a quote and he can't afford to pay out of pocket. Then you go to the insurance companies, who now have no proof of who's at fault. His insurance is going to fight your insurance (or you if you go directly to them) and, without any proof, you're pretty much stuck. ALWAYS get a police report, I don't care how good a friend it is. It's a matter of CYA.

is it just me?
i was expecting some explicit pictures of some kind of intercourse from the thread subject.
haha
"got hit from the rear"

come on....

lmao dirty minds think alike(idhitit)

serious tone now: your friend should have at least paid for damages, if u find a good place, u can get the bumper done for under 500. thats including either replacement or just repair and paint.

It happened to my friend's gold gti and he only paid i think around $300. came out like new. just make sure they install everything back on. the place accidentally left an important peice out. he went back and the installer guy got fired lol

Dude, it's not "calling the police" to take him away. It's calling the police to get a report of the accident written up in the event insurance needs to pay.

Let's say, hypothetically, you get a quote and he can't afford to pay out of pocket. Then you go to the insurance companies, who now have no proof of who's at fault. His insurance is going to fight your insurance (or you if you go directly to them) and, without any proof, you're pretty much stuck. ALWAYS get a police report, I don't care how good a friend it is. It's a matter of CYA.

I agree with AMaff, plus you dont know what was pushed in or broken off, past the cosmetic damage...and that can potentially be a nice chuck of change...

So he ends up giving me a bump hard enough to rock my car and passengers a fair amount. I got out looked at the damage. He hit the left side. It's a little scuffed up, there's a little crack, and the bumpers popping out a little on the left.

I'm with the others on the police report. That said, my car was smacked in the back pretty hard in a 3 car rear ender. Thankfully I was at the front of this and took the smallest hit, the car in the middle was mashed in the back and very scuffed up in the front, plus his airbag went off. From your description, and my accident, you should expect to have to replace the rear bumper cover and the styrofoam part of the bumper, which is a sacrificial component good for exactly one crash. No way to tell if the metal part of the bumper, or anything else, is bent until you take off the bumper cover. Since he hit you on the left side check the fender on that side. In my case the car behind went a bit under, and slightly bent the tailpipe. If you were hit higher, check the lights on that side very carefully.

Your friend needs to pay to fix it whether through his insurance or out of his own pocket. And you don't need a police report so long as your friend doesn't decide to try and lie and say he never hit you. But i'm guessing you have enough witnesses so I wouldn't worry about that either.

As for the cost, it probably damaged stuff underneath the bumper cover which is why it popped out. So it will most likely need more than just a new one.

leftsidepoppingout.jpg

You can't really see it all that well, but if u run your fingers down it, it doesn't lay as flush as it used to

rearhit2.jpg

It's not horrible, it's just a little scuffed up

rearhit1.jpg

Slightly different angle

And you guys are definitely right about the police report. Next time I'm definitely going to get that done for sure. I guess I made a mistake on this one. He's going to pay for the damages though.

leftsidepoppingout.jpg

You can't really see it all that well, but if u run your fingers down it, it doesn't lay as flush as it used to

rearhit2.jpg

It's not horrible, it's just a little scuffed up

rearhit1.jpg

Slightly different angle

And you guys are definitely right about the police report. Next time I'm definitely going to get that done for sure. I guess I made a mistake on this one. He's going to pay for the damages though.

Up here in Boston, that is a normal look to a rear bumper! Anyways, I feel your pain! (boom02)

Back