Got an oil change on my 2017 CX-5 today...Air filter left out, have a question

Brought my car in for an oil change at a trusted mechanic I’ve been using for years. After the oil change the Mazda sounded much deeper on acceleration, which concerned me. Read it was probably the engine air filter box. Sure enough, it was unclipped…and was pretty shocked that when I opened it, it was empty. I know nothing about cars, never changed an air filter. Instead of making a huge thing about it and driving 25 minutes back, I just went to Autozone and bought an air filter and the sound went away. Makes me kind of want to go back to using the dealer for service again...

I do have a question, though. See that piece of mesh on the top end of the box? Does that ever need to be cleaned/replaced? Photo without the air filter below.

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

I believe that is a carbon insert. I don't think it is replaceable, but I would probably take a vacuum to it whenever you change the air filter.

I'd be willing to bet that the shop took the filter out to clean it a bit by smacking it against the wall, but forgot to put it back in. Ooops! Lol

I do my own oil changes. It is an easy and safe job with a pair of rhino ramps.

This is why never take a coffee break in the middle of a job. Easy to forget things. This could happen even at the dealers. I usually check the oil level and the two filters (air and cabin) after dealer service in my cx5, primarily to see if they are not ripping me off since we pay more than 300Euro for service here. Good you sorted it out. Hope you go and talk to the guy who missed that bit on service. Ideally he should offer you a next service free to keep his customer happy.

Brought my car in for an oil change at a trusted mechanic I’ve been using for years. After the oil change the Mazda sounded much deeper on acceleration, which concerned me. Read it was probably the engine air filter box. Sure enough, it was unclipped…and was pretty shocked that when I opened it, it was empty. I know nothing about cars, never changed an air filter. Instead of making a huge thing about it and driving 25 minutes back, I just went to Autozone and bought an air filter and the sound went away. Makes me kind of want to go back to using the dealer for service again...

I do have a question, though. See that piece of mesh on the top end of the box? Does that ever need to be cleaned/replaced? Photo without the air filter below.

View attachment 304076

View attachment 304077
Where you charged for the air filter part and the labor to change it?

Why would you not bring this error to the attention of the mechanic who did the work?

That white mesh doesn't need to be changed. It's just to keep the big stuff away from the filter.

⋯ I do have a question, though. See that piece of mesh on the top end of the box? Does that ever need to be cleaned/replaced? Photo without the air filter below.

View attachment 304076

View attachment 304077
On 2017 and newer CX-5’s, there’s an additional carbon filter on the underside of the air cleaner box cover. It’s not a separate part and you'd have to get the entire cover for a new charcoal filter.
In most cars, the carbon filter has been used to absorb hydrocarbons after the engine shutdown. It helps to get a PZEV rating.

I'd check the oil and filter as well.
Is the oil nice and clean? It should be almost invisible on the dipstick if it's new. Start there.

I've been ripped off in the past when charged for oil changes, and the work was never done.
Once at an independent shop, and once at a Ford dealer. Caught them both times.
Always check, before even driving away.

I'd check the oil and filter as well.
Is the oil nice and clean? It should be almost invisible on the dipstick if it's new. Start there.

I've been ripped off in the past when charged for oil changes, and the work was never done.
Once at an independent shop, and once at a Ford dealer. Caught them both times.
Always check, before even driving away.
If I didn't trust them I'd do it myself.

I do it myself.

Doing oil/filter changes at dealer won't guarantee any better. One Mercedes dealer filled only 5 qts when 8.5 qts are needed(but charged 9 qtt x $12 each for parts) for me a while ago.
For peace of mind, DIY for easy fluid changes. That's the only sure way to get things done right.

Guess who does the oil/filter changes at dealers? It's not ASE certified mechanic, most likely part time young kids getting paid minimum wage.

Last edited:
Unfortunately dealerships as well can do half a job when doing services on a car.
I do my own maintenance on all my cars.
Before doing my first oil change on the CX-5, i did a thorough research with regards to parts and tools needed.

Back