Good deeds = mazda rocks

I have a 2007 CX-7 which I got on June '06 (it now has 113,000 miles), I've always said my engine sounds like a diesel even after the VVT TSB, dealer has always said that is normal.

Fast forward a few years & they said it was not normal (out of warranty at this point) and I needed to get the VVT fixed about $1K. I've been putting it off for years now cuz I know the noise has always been there and it's not any louder.

I went for an oil change today (I've been going to another Mazda dealer the past few years cuz I moved) & the guy was saying it was 'very loud and could fail at any time". Trying to scare me type of thing, I told him I was not worried cuz the noise has been that way since new. He then said when you take the oil cap off you can touch the timing chain and it had too much play & should be tight and would cost $1200 bucks to fix the VVT.

He suggested I call Mazda America and tell them my story, maybe they would help cover some of the cost since it has been this way since new. I called for the hell of it, told the guy my deal and how it's way out of warranty now. He called the dealer spoke with the service guy, then called me back to say Mazda is going to cover the cost of replacing the VVT cuz I've been a loyal customer with the dealer.....I was like "WHAT, for real"

So I set up an appointment for next week, it's nice to see a company do something good every once in a while.

Anyway, just wanted to share this story.

Yeah, loyalty goes both ways. Mazda is VERY keen on dealer loyalty. I've been loyal to my dealer for ~10 years and they have been fantastic. Some people complain about dealer service but there are good and bad apples out there, same goes for those consumers who try to "pull one over" on their dealer. Some people forget that dealers are in the business of making money.

Nice to hear may go to bat for you.
I know nothing of turbos and just got an 08 CX-7 with 70,000 miles on it. I think it sounds deisel-ish and the oil with 800 miles looks almost black. Should I have anything checked out? I bought the lifetime LOF at the dealer and the high tech warranty taking me out another 36,000 miles.
I've read of timing chain issues,
sludge in the turbo/motor - PCV set up
and am happy I have some coverage to say the least.

Back