Gen 1 brake change issue

:
2015 Mazda Cx-5 Touring Sport 2.5l AWD
BD4CB6B0-F03D-4606-8184-06EDA26E13AA.jpeg

I was thinking my wheel hub was going from grinding that changed while making steering adjustments. Is this wear pattern indicative of that? Both sides are like this but the noise was coming from drivers side it seemed.I’ve got new rotors and pads from the dealer and one new wheel hub from oreileys, should I try to grab the other hub while everything is torn apart? I’m about to inspect calipers. Should the piston go back in if I press it, how do I troubleshoot the piston!

Attachments

• 3F51ED58-0186-4D56-A8DA-D41B7F84794D.jpeg
    3F51ED58-0186-4D56-A8DA-D41B7F84794D.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 117
I don't think you trouble shoot the pistons....but rather inspect the rubber piston boots for any rips.

View attachment 306740
I was thinking my wheel hub was going from grinding that changed while making steering adjustments. Is this wear pattern indicative of that? Both sides are like this but the noise was coming from drivers side it seemed.I’ve got new rotors and pads from the dealer and one new wheel hub from oreileys, should I try to grab the other hub while everything is torn apart? I’m about to inspect calipers. Should the piston go back in if I press it, how do I troubleshoot the piston!
How many miles on your 2015 CX-5 Touring? It seems to be odd to me you need a new hub. Do you have damaged front wheel bearing?

If the inner pads wore more than outer pads on both sides, I’d check the slide pins and lubricate them with rubber-friendly silicone brake grease such as AGS Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound.

I don’t think you need to check caliper pistons unless they’re leaking brake fluid.

If the inner pads wore more than outer pads on both sides, I’d check the slide pins and lubricate them with rubber-friendly silicone brake grease such as AGS Sil-Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound.

This right here.

Unless it is obviously damaged I would not change the wheel hub. And if necessary only with an OEM genuine Mazda hub. It's not worth chancing it by replacing high quality original factory part with some aftermarket part. A lot of aftermarket hubs have Chinese bearings that don't last long. On my last car I had a hub replaced (aftermarket part) and specified hub with USA bearing only. They installed one with "National USA" stamped on the bearing. And it still only lasted just over 2 years. So no aftermarket hubs (and some other parts) in my book. Just my experience.

Back