gas miles comparison

Mr.J

:
03 mazdaspeed protege #429
in the next year i plan on gettin a new car either an rx-8 or a gt mustang which of these cars is better on gas and the winner of the comparison is it anywhere close to my currernt ms protoge

What do the EPA mileage figures say? It probably won't reflect real-world mileage, but it should give you an idea and not be too hard to find out.
As for a Protege' comparison, I can't answer that, since I've never owned a Protege'. But IMHO:
Acceleration: RX8 < Mustang
Handling: RX-8 > Mustang
Exterior styling: RX8 > Mustang
Interior: RX8 > Mustang
Not seeing your car at every intersection and parking lot: RX8 > Mustang
Being able to wind up at 8K in each of 6 gears RX8 > Mustang
Aftermarket support for bolt-ons etc. RX8 = Mustang (or at least close)

Lol thanks for the insight I havent thought the other aspects over and i didnt know mustangs were faster...oh well like u said it would be nice to not see your car everywhere you go and reving that high (drive) must be fun

well just call me stupid cause i dont know the diff.... i went to mazda to price a rx 8 later on the same day i caught the post and the sales clerk was tellin me that mustangs are faster and some other nonsense about once u go v8 u dun come back. I guess it was because i pulled up in my girlfriends gt but could u explain it to me :confused: ...also they were gonna sell me a fully loaded rx8 for 22gs good price?

Mr.J said:
well just call me stupid cause i dont know the diff.... but could u explain it to me :confused: ...

1st, I'm not here to bad-mouth the Mustang. The GT is a nice car. And I don't own either car (see my sig), but drove each a little. These are my recollections. The GT seems/is heavy, has a relatively high center of gravity and IIRC has only a live (solid) axle in the GT model. Brakes are OK, but not as good IMO, as the RX8, possibly because of the weight. The steering also isn't as good, seemed slower to me and gives you less feedback. And the Mustang's shifter (I think it was an 03 model I drove) was like rowing a boat. The suspensions don't even compare.
I don't define "fast" as only in a straight line. Now I enjoy going WOT on my car once in a while and it's definitely fun. But to me it's one-dimensional. In the handling department, the 8 is a much better car. Take them out on a twisting country road, or the track and then come back and tell me which one YOU think is "faster". Just my .02, but maybe an RX8 owner, or someone with more time in either car can chime in (yupnope) .

Last edited:
Well just a couple insights, my rx-8 is faster in a straight line than my friends 03 GT convertible (might be because of the extra weight he's carrying), the rx-8 redlines at 9k rpm not 8k, and I get about 18mpg combined city/highway with 20" rims.

Hope it helps!

Well I can tell you this. I drove my friend's V8 firebird for a little while, and when I got back in my 8, while the acceleration feels less kick you in the ass type of acceleration, it definitely feels lighter on its feet. I can't explain it, but the car just "feels" faster than the firebird. The Firbird will definitely throw you in your seat, but once you start trying to throw the car around, it feels like a huge bucket of bolts, where the RX-8 feels like a feather.

I'd say the Mustang is probably a similar comparison. Think of it like the RX-8 is Bruce Lee, and the Mustang is Mike Tyson...

im on my 3rd tank of gas since i bought the rx and thus far im getting ~20mpg, with about 70% being highway driving

i get 16mpg in my 8. and the burn a little oil as well. i wouldnt have it anyother way though, this is probably the most fun car ive ever owned and its car number 13 for me

KYMP5 said:
i get 16mpg in my 8. and the burn a little oil as well. i wouldnt have it anyother way though, this is probably the most fun car ive ever owned and its car number 13 for me

Hope to find that out soon, going 8 shopping this week.

Ohhh can't wait :)

and btw saw in another thread about the rx8 forum and who posts to read...very very insight. Head still spinning (cheers)

I say it really is a fun car to drive, but keep in mind that this is RWD car and it will be very very different from your FF cars.(I had all FF cars before and this is my first serious FR sports car) and I had learned my lesson the hard way(I spun out(boom05) ...luckily, I didn't hit anything, just rash on my wheel) I also have the base model, so it doesn't come with DSC. I'm in portland and it rains alot, so RWD isn't very rain friendly...think about that as well.
I think 22g for loaded 8 is great deal, but milage...?
I thought I had steal on mine....base 6 speed w/ appearance package for 20K(mj)

My insight....maybe not so helpful, but hey...
After all said, this car is just awsome. the fuel consumption can be forgiven(well not completely) after driving this car....so much fun. Not to mention I get looks from everywhere...very very attractive car!

Ray

on our road rally to minnesota over the weekend, i consistently got 21.9 mpg in my rx-8. (rockon)

Back