Gas mileage question

A car manufacture would be in deep dodo if they fudged mileage numbers. The government tests are quite explicit on how the values are achieved. I've observed that people with the poorest mileage are the more spirited drivers and they need to blame someone or something. :))Ed

My guess is that technology like iStop does not improve the EPA ratings due the way they test the MPG
as of today. In real world, however, the iStop can improve 10% or more of the city MPG.
I read this news before from an interview with Honda CEO.

My guess is that technology like iStop does not improve the EPA ratings due the way they test the MPG
as of today. In real world, however, the iStop can improve 10% or more of the city MPG.
I read this news before from an interview with Honda CEO.

Seems like it is the case, well at least when this article, taken from the Mazda3 forums I'm not sure where right now, was written in 2010. I suppose it may change in a few years...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_...s--but-us-testing-may-keep-it-off-the-market/

First tank of gas 27.9 MPG combined City Highway...I'm happy with the initial numbers. Our old AWD Honda Element would have returned 22 or so in the same drive cycle..

That's presumably a bogus number. Since you did not fill the initial tank you don't know how full it was.

Skeptical much? I was with my salesman when he filled it to the click..

I did the same today. 293 miles 10.5 gallons..

Last edited:
First tank of gas 27.9 MPG combined City Highway...I'm happy with the initial numbers. Our old AWD Honda Element would have returned 22 or so in the same drive cycle..

I'm getting slightly less so far, but I'm not too worried about this at this point it's too early to tell.

Hmmm, I'm at about 2200 kms right now and have been averaging 9.7l/100km (24.25mpg) in the city. I was just on a 1000km road-trip and averaged 7.4l/100km (31.79mpg). Not too bad I guess!

Hmmm, I'm at about 2200 kms right now and have been averaging 9.7l/100km (24.25mpg) in the city. I was just on a 1000km road-trip and averaged 7.4l/100km (31.79mpg). Not too bad I guess!

Pretty good, still higher than the values Mazda Canada/government testing gives (8.0L/100km city, 6.4L/100km highway), but considering how the test is done that's to be expected...

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/transportation/fuel-guide/2011/testing-procedures.cfm?attr=8

Last edited:
Ok so hereisa little update, I'm currently at my 3rd fill up, I did reset the original L/100km average and I'm currently doing 8L/100km that's about 29MPG, I will keep testing but it seems the original numbers where off, not sure why.

This is much better, Also my air was showing me that I could do about 520 Km on that thank, after about 150 Adam still showing 490Km did mostly highway.

I'm a little bit happier :)

will post more result when this tank is empty.

Landed a new record last night... You can see the temp and on-board fuel, and it was the three of us (wife, son, and myself) enjoying the ride. With a bit of careful driving and Prius inspired hypermiling, the CX-5 continues to amaze us!!!

Here's the 17 mile route in case you're curious... We lucked out and only hit four of many lights the whole way home!

532942_3756413673170_1361332988_33549050_1687041804_n.jpg

Landed a new record last night... You can see the temp and on-board fuel, and it was the three of us (wife, son, and myself) enjoying the ride. With a bit of careful driving and Prius inspired hypermiling, the CX-5 continues to amaze us

Nice! Now do that for a three tank average. :)

I was a little confused filling up today..I ran the gas down until i had 1 bar left on the gas gauge...the computer said i had 20 miles left on the tank...but when i filled up at the pump i only was able to get 11.5 gallons in the tank. ??? I thought that it had a larger tank than that! WTF?

I was a little confused filling up today..I ran the gas down until i had 1 bar left on the gas gauge...the computer said i had 20 miles left on the tank...but when i filled up at the pump i only was able to get 11.5 gallons in the tank. ??? I thought that it had a larger tank than that! WTF?

Basically the reading will show less remaining than actually available as a security measure. My Mazda3 did the same.

This has been discussed a little in that thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123813439-Computer-reading

Back