Gas mileage question

It's FWD - we have the most basic model. We got it up to 35.6 today...average speed probably between 50-55 mph. As someone else said, I'm still babying it and driving as smoothly as I possibly can, and that makes a big difference. On the other hand, the drives we take are also hilly and windy, and I was in a stiff wind today. I am a very happy consumer.

That's a amazing for such new petrol car, according to my calculation it's about 6.6 ltr/100 km ! Thank you for keeping us updated.

I am thorn between two oposite cars that one serbian dealer has available:

Basic model 2.2 diesel FWD for some 26,000 eur, or
fully loaded 2.0 petrol AWD for some 29,000.

I am thorn between two oposite cars that one serbian dealer has available:

Really depends on what you want.
I wanted the whole kit personally and also cared about fuel economy. The reports on this forum show that the fuel economy is achievable with either the diesel or petrol models.

It was only driving the two side by side that made the diesel the compulsory purchase.

Need the kit.... go the petrol.
Need fuel economy.... go either.
Need performance... go the diesel.

Drive both. Then you might find that the dealer doesn't have the exact combo you want.
Only you can determine this after driving both.

Thanks, inodes. First diesels should arrive next week and I will try petrol and diesel "side by side".

How is your mpg btw?

The millage that the manufacturers give are not real world figures. they are in controlled environments and a little fibbing. Do you think they take the car out in the real world. Its not like they give the test car to an employee for a year and say, "here, go test it for a year in the real world with your family going on vacation on a ski trip with hills, in the cold, going up and down hills and the wind and luggage". Beside, I have the CX-7 and I get better gas millage when I am not as heavy on the peddle, but because it is a 4 cylinder (even with the turbo), it probably has to work harder than my van with a 6 cylinder, therefore using more gas. You also have winter tire or summer tire? Are they properly inflated. Do you have a roof rack or not?

I've never seen any actual evidence that a 6-cylinder can in some situations save more fuel than 4-cylinder because the 4-banger has to work harder. Certainly there's no reason that is true when comparing current, naturally aspirated engines. Some 6s can compare with a large 4 on the highway, depending on the vehicle, but they lose badly in the city.

after ~700 miles on 6SP MT, the car computer is stating 36.5 MPG
90% hwy at 70mph
10% back roads at 40mph

dam impressive

We've driven it mostly in the city, where the mileage has been good, though not spectacular (around 26.5mpg a tank with 90% city driving). This last tank, though, was about 90% highway and we averaged over 32mpg, so cheers for that. Given the numbers, I think a pure-highway tank could have managed nearly 34mpg.

We've got a FWD Touring.

If you could all enroll on Fuelly.com and show the real world mileage that would be great. Car computer calculation is often off.

I'm at 29.3 MPG, mostly suburban driving (Avg speed: 22). Computer checked because I have not had to fill up so far since the dealer gave me a full tank. I will enroll in Fuelly once I fill it up myself.

Decent fuel economy so far. Living in downtown Toronto I can easy average 8.0 to 9.0 L/100 km in urban driving. Suburban and highway mileage is in the 6.5 to 7.0 L/100 km range. This is much better than my previous 2004 4 cyl. Mazda 6. I love it so far.

I've got about 650 miles on it so far with one fill up. My drive is about 50/50 city/highway. The computer averages are always in the 30-32 mph range at 28-30 mpg. Spot on the advertised combined mileage. There is definitely room for improvement on all highway trips.

If you could all enroll on Fuelly.com and show the real world mileage that would be great. Car computer calculation is often off.

It is off indeed, i guess it will be off a bit more in the city since it won't display current FE under 5km/h, maybe its is not accounting it in the FE figures too. I would guess idling isn't accounted too. Those tanks with greater offset I did more stop&go than others.

Real World (Computer)

9.0 (8.8)
9.1 (8.7)
8.8 (8.8) - Fudged by the previous fill up
9.5 (8.6) - With service, he filled it to the second click before i could tell him :(
9.3 (9.2)

The trip computer average showed 32.7 MPG for my first tank. The gas pump clicked off at 11.56 gallons (full tank) and only cost me $45 compared to my 2001 tundra that would have cost me $90 to fill. I went 457 miles with 1/8 tank left so 457 miles/11.56 gallons = 39.53 MPG. That's impressive! Don't know why there was a discrepancy there. The Tundra was getting 17.5 driving the same roads. I did baby the throttle and kept the highway speeds around 70 mph. My trip was about 70% highway with very little stop and go driving. I have an automatic FWD sport. Keep in mind I tried to squeeze as much mileage as I could driving this thing to get that #.

I drive my CX-5 primarily for business and average close to 100km/day. I picked it up mid-March and currently have driven slightly over 3000 km. The fuel consumption has steadily improved at each fill up and I drove 640 km of mixed city/highway on 48 litres. This works out to 7.5 litres/100km (31.36 MPG US), exactly in line with what the trip computer was showing. Pretty impressive results for a vehicle that isn't even broken in. I am definitely taking it easy on the throttle, and kind of making a game of it, but these results beat my old 2002 Honda CR-V by about 2 litres/100km.

I currently have just over 1200 miles on my CX5 manual. I do 70% highway and obviously 30% city. I have averaged on 3 fills; 36, 38 and the latest with 160 miles on tank 42.3. I have been keeping the speed down and driving it in a fashion to optimize economy. I understand it might be a bit frustrating to get up to speed a little more slowly but by using the instant mpg gauge just like on my hybrids this vehicle is capable of averaging 40 mpg highway.

I've only had my CX5 Diesel Gt Tech Pack for a week but have made two country trips and three refills. Average so far is 39mpg (imp). Very happy with the fuel economy.

I've only had my CX5 Diesel Gt Tech Pack for a week but have made two country trips and three refills. Average so far is 39mpg (imp). Very happy with the fuel economy.

Jump on Fuelly.com JockC. I'm a tad lonely with the only "2012" CX-5. I'd like to do a comparison between our almost identical models.
When did you pick up yours by the way. There is practically a chance they were on the same ship even.

We have just over 600 miles on the car now and averaging 27.1mpg with an avg speed of 31mph. So mostly city. I'm happy with the 27.1 BTW Touring FWD model.

Back