Gas Cap problem

Unless you have a forum like this..there is no way to know if the problem you are having is just on your vehicle or whether it is a flaw in design..up until now, I thought it was just our car.. Our dealer probably would have made us think the same too! This incident happend the second time we got gas. Luckily it has not happened again, only because I am very careful when putting the gas cap back on..so far so good.. but I will mention this to our dealer when it is time for service..

I understand your logic about a recall but I'm not quite sure I understand your logic about not filling up when you are running out of gas.

I would say that the majority of people fill up when the light comes on (or somewhat close to it... maybe when it goes below 1/4 tank). It just doesn't make sense to fill up "when you are NOT running out of gas"... I don't feel like you should be FORCED to fill up whenever you are just below half tank (or anything close)

Is it too much to ask to simply be able to drive a car for a full tank of gas instead of filling up all the time?

And it seems like NOT everyone has this problem... So how do you get it fixed first? So are you saying that ALL Mazda5 owners go into the dealer to get it fixed first?

I don't think I can explain it any more clearly. If your cap is stuck, why would you keep driving? If you can't grasp this, then I can't help you.

I don't think I can explain it any more clearly. If your cap is stuck, why would you keep driving? If you can't grasp this, then I can't help you.

Not wanting to really argue with you but I'm quoting your OWN words
"but if you know you are running out of gas YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING IT. Get it fixed first."

Just a couple of observations.
1. How do you know it's broken UNTIL it actually is stuck. (of course, once you figure that out you go straight to the dealer). But you seem to imply that you should get it fixed first... How do you get it fixed when you don't even know it's broken yet?
2. MOST of the time you go to the gas station when you NEED gas. And it's then when most people discover that the cap is stuck.

So basically I'm saying that YES, we understand that you should get it fixed immediate once you discover it is stuck. But most of the time you only discover it's stuck when you are at the gas station and your tank is near empty already...

Last edited:
Try to make it to the dealer, if you ran out of gas then call roadside assistance its free or better yet call them directly so they can fix it on the spot or tow it to the dealer.

I had my cap replaced Saturday at the dealership. I was in & out within 15-20 minutes, which was great. Of course it also helped that I was able to seal the broken cap and avoided getting a CEL, which would have kept me there longer.

The service associate was very straightforward about the bad cap problem and lamented that Mazda didn't tell the dealerships sooner. In any case, it is a known issue and nobody should have a problem getting it remedied.

Our dealer still does not seem to "know" about this cap problem, Gawd I want to strangle these guys.

Our 5 is back in the shop AGAIN for the 50mph shake and rear suspension noises and the dealer is still telling me there is no new gas cap and nothing from Mazda on any problems.

Is there a bulletin or something I can show these guys?

There is a major issue we are seeing with 3's (5 has same cap) where they somehow get inserted crooked and get stuck in the filler neck.

They're actually on and off backorder since Mazda is going through so many.

It might be related.

From what I found when I managed to unstick mine; that is exactly what occurs.

There are blocks or tabs in the screw pattern of the cap and it gets cocked & those blocks get jammed in the filler neck pattern.

If you don't panic (this is tough BTW) and keep trying to unscrew it you can (at least I could) work the cap straight again.

Though in retro-spec, just break the damn POS and at least then they will give you a new one with no hassles.

Ogre:

With so many people howling about the poor quality of the stock Toyo's, I wonder if changing the tires will solve the problem. The vibration is not terrible for me at the moment so I'll wait until I wear them out to see if that fixes it.

It does. Immensely. I changed to a "high cost" Michelin tire after reading internet ratings and the tires are excellent-feels like a new vehicle-quiet, smooth, and handles very well. Toyo Proxes are junk stock tires that seem to be a "disposable tire" to be sold on new Mazdas.

Stopped by the Costco in Garden Grove, CA to gas up before heading home from Disneyland vacation....gas cap wouldn't come off...called the attendant over...he tried...and succeeded in snapping off the black plastic "handle".

The main white plastic cap/plug is still in place...cant get it out...therefore cannot gas up to get home or get to nearest Mazda dealer...nevermind, it's Sunday, all dealer parts dept. are closed...

Called Mazda roadside assistance...after spending five minutes telling them last 8 digits of VIN, car color, current location, my name, diameter of left testicle, am informed that all parts are closed on Sunday..."Is there anything else I can help you with?"...yeah there is, tell me how I can head back home to Northern California with the gallon or so of gas left in the tank...

Kids are cooperating but don't want to push my luck...think think think...start driving around "major" streets hoping for inspiration...see a AutoZone store! Sorry, replacement gas cap is special order! But the young man there comes out to take a look...likes the challenge...he and I succeed in removing the white plug! Thank you Luis Mendoza! A ten note is all I have left to give you after the Disney meals (how can kids eat so many Churros????)...

He suggests Kragen down the street...Kragen doesnt stock the part either, but guy there suggests I duct tape the white plug in place with towels after gassing up...hmmm, kids in car, full tank of fuel, rags in gas tank, thank goodness this isnt the Middle East, might get some strange looks...

Back to Costco, gas up but dont tell the attendant the details cause I am afraid he will say it is illegal for me to buy gas without a tight fit gas cap...duct tape and towels seem to do the trick..time to get on I-5 and head home.

So, has anyone else had problems with the gas cap? Found several "known problems" relating to Mazda 3 gas caps.

How do I get Mazda dealer to replace cap for free? (List is $55; that's like 18 Disneyland Churros!!!! )

Thank you for answering, and my apologies for the ramble.

So, has anyone else had problems with the gas cap? Found several "known problems" relating to Mazda 3 gas caps.

How do I get Mazda dealer to replace cap for free? (List is $55; that's like 18 Disneyland Churros!!!! )

Thank you for answering, and my apologies for the ramble.

Yes there have been a couple of threads about this problem. Did you search this forum? My dealer just replaced it for Free.

Yup...clicked on Search...entered "gas cap"...no results. Mebbe I don't know how to search the forum...then again, the search should have at least found my post...hmmmmm...

i had a customer with this gas cap problem TWICE within a month? and i talk to my parts manager. turns out the new cap they're putting on is a reinforce gas cap now. so after replacing it.. shouldnt' be a problem

My local Mazda dealer replaced the gas cap, warranty. Said he had seen a few Mazda5's with same problem.

Dealer washed the 5 as well, which was nice after the road trip.

Hi, is there any Canadian M5 have the gas cap problem? I haven't see any Canadian post up this problem.
So far is only "blacktalon13"'s customer from Toronto.
I don't want this happen to my wife when I am not in town. Too bad, this is not a recall.
I own a 08 GT..

Last edited:
stuck gas cap issue

My wife pulled into the gas station this afternoon to fill up our 5 month old Mazda 3 '08, she said the cap was stuck, and that her and several employees at the station tried to loosen it, before the cap finally broke off and the remainder of the cap was stuck in the tank. She called me on her cell, i had to leave work to go to the gas station, where we were finally able to get the remainder of the cap out of the tank with pliers. I see many others have had this same problem. I wonder if Mazda has sent anything to the dealers notifying them of this defect. I am taking mine back to the dealer where i purchased it, to see if they fix it for free. It really ticks me off that i had to leave work for such a stupid incident, especially since the car is only 5 months old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

My wife pulled into the gas station this afternoon to fill up our 5 month old Mazda 3 '08, she said the cap was stuck, and that her and several employees at the station tried to loosen it, before the cap finally broke off and the remainder of the cap was stuck in the tank. She called me on her cell, i had to leave work to go to the gas station, where we were finally able to get the remainder of the cap out of the tank with pliers. I see many others have had this same problem. I wonder if Mazda has sent anything to the dealers notifying them of this defect. I am taking mine back to the dealer where i purchased it, to see if they fix it for free. It really ticks me off that i had to leave work for such a stupid incident, especially since the car is only 5 months old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Both the 3 and 5 seem to have cap issues. I am sure your VIN is listed somewhere with that issue noted.

One of the first few times filling up, I had this problem. The cap wouldnt turn to the left anymore, and wouldnt pull out. This cap is a strange design. What seems to work for me is retightening it, making it click about 5 times, and then trying again. So far, so good.

Gas cap

Recently went to fill the tank on my new 09 and couldn't open the gas cap. My wife made jokes about the bowflex not being used in our basement but I even got someone else to attempt with no luck. After 10 minutes of pain I finally got it open. Has anyone else expirnced this problem?

Back