Full Transmission Replacement

You can post all the nonsense videos you want, but it doesn't change anything. The CX5 is unanimously loved and praised for its sporty handling by every reviewer I have read on the internet. Most of us here can and will comment the same opinion. The Prius, yeah try again. So again, why are you wasting your time? If the CX5 is so bad, why do you still have it? Trade it in and go get a Prius. You would then be in the Prius forums going off about the Prius and what you find distasteful. I think you're just a pessimistic person.

I don't find anything distasteful about the CX-5. It does EXACTLY what I bought it for: Provide AWD locomotion over semi-rough terrain, and on the freeway, reliably, and for a cheap cost of initial purchase, and ownership.

I can't trade it in on a Prius because I would bottom a Prius out the places I go. It's a non-starter.

This is what I mean by...why the hell did OP even have a CX-5? It made no sense, if a Prius could fulfill his technical requirements, and he wasn't very emotionally attached to the CX-5 purchase.

I'm dogging on the CX-5 as "a performance vehicle". It's not. It handles well for what it is, sure. But it is, what I outlined above.

THIS is what I mean by...why the hell do half the people here even have a CX-5? They trade them in for vehicles COMPLETELY outside of the spectrum, with no life changes. I could understand if they traded for a Forester, or a Rogue, or something like that. It's the flavor of drink...but this forum seems to be full of people who are all about "You don't have Pepsi? I'll have a Glock 9mm, then, please". It's like...wtf? I thought you wanted a soda...

Look at MikeM. I don't agree with him most of the time, but he uses and owns his CX-5 because nothing else fits the bill as well as the CX-5. He takes it places a car won't go. He drives it a lot (I guess?) and the mileage is good, especially with his 2.Slow, which is, in his words, plenty for him. I get why he has a CX-5. This Chris guy...his CX-5 is lowered...and he is trying to make it fast. It makes no sense why he has one instead of a Subaru WRX STi Hatch.

Last edited:
Company for the CX-3 or are you replacing it?

No, replacing it (the pair would look swell on my drive but I'm not quite loaded enough for that!). I'm very fond of the CX-3 but due to a change of circumstances, we need more space. For that reason it is a no brainier that big brother is the obvious choice. The CX-3 has the identical transmission and AWD drive coupling and even with double the torque being fed through it, like Mike, I have no reservations whatsoever regardless of these comments. Forums can be a bit misleading at times as owners with faults are drawn to them and that can look very inflated.

As it happens, GM were alleged to have thrown gasoline on the flames of the Toyota sticky accelerator debacle.

I have 24k on my 2016 CX5 , is the transmission issue with the AWD rather than the front wheel drive, Mazda does seem to have issues with the AWD transfer cases, mine is FWD and so far has been flawless.

You can post all the nonsense videos you want, but it doesn't change anything. The CX5 is unanimously loved and praised for its sporty handling by every reviewer I have read on the internet. Most of us here can and will comment the same opinion. The Prius, yeah try again. So again, why are you wasting your time? If the CX5 is so bad, why do you still have it? Trade it in and go get a Prius. You would then be in the Prius forums going off about the Prius and what you find distasteful. I think you're just a pessimistic person.

You have to remember that Unobtanium admitted in a post that he is antagonistic jerk in real life and he is proud of it. He is one of those guys that is a real life jerk so it's no surprise that here on this forum he is living out his true life persona. It's an outlet for him so he acts like a complete ass.

You have to remember that Unobtanium admitted in a post that he is antagonistic jerk in real life and he is proud of it. He is one of those guys that is a real life jerk so it's no surprise that here on this forum he is living out his true life persona. It's an outlet for him so he acts like a complete ass.

I antagonize people who poke at me. Based on this post, you do the same. You just lack the balls and self-awareness to see and own it.

THIS is what I mean by...why the hell do half the people here even have a CX-5?

Because they wanted one.
One of the fun thing about cars is choosing one only needs to make sense to the buyer.

There are some people who take 6 mts to a year to chose and buy a car, read everything, drive everything, make charts. I am one of them. There are others who buy it because they saw it on there way home and it is red. The reason people buy what they buy is non of my business. Fortunately what other people think I should enjoy or drive doesn't matter either I drive my CX-5 because I fit well in it, It is comfortable and the handling makes me smile.

According to EPA
You lost me right at EPA. What ever follows might be true but probably isn't
What's wrong with getting information from EPA? You can simply google it and found all of the numbers I posted. Please don't jump into wrong conclusion and start to accuse others posting false information. Looks like you're the one refusing to do the fact-check or you simply don't trust the government.

The OP bought a CX5 because he, at the time, wanted to try a sexy, reliable, and useful CUV.

The reliable is gone for this particular individual. While driving I realized I didn't favor stopping so often for gas and the beautiful interior wasn't enough of a reason to keep it - so a hypermiler that is comfy and loaded will do the trick.

I drive slow, I don't off road, and I actually never tried sport mode - so for me - it's simple - let's try something new.

PS - the vette is absolutely the most car you can buy for $50K. European supercar looks in an American muscle package.

:)

What's wrong with getting information from EPA? You can simply google it and found all of the numbers I posted. Please don't jump into wrong conclusion and start to accuse others posting false information. Looks like you're the one refusing to do the fact-check or you simply don't trust the government.

I meant no offense. It never occurred to me that you were trying to post false information. My remark was posted because I have learned through experience not to trust the government. If the EPA wrote it it MIGHT be true, but I would need a lot more sources.

I have 24k on my 2016 CX5 , is the transmission issue with the AWD rather than the front wheel drive, Mazda does seem to have issues with the AWD transfer cases, mine is FWD and so far has been flawless.
The transmission is identical in both the FWD and AWD. They just have provision to mount a transfer bevel drive on the AWD.

I dont think it matters, AWD versus FWD. Problems are varied. Mine in particular developed a whistling sound at 32k miles and was replaced under a TSB which cited bearing whine problems caused by a manufacturing process problem. Others who have vehicles manufactured AFTER this TSB was issued also had the same problem and replacement.

Because they wanted one.
One of the fun thing about cars is choosing one only needs to make sense to the buyer.

There are some people who take 6 mts to a year to chose and buy a car, read everything, drive everything, make charts. I am one of them. There are others who buy it because they saw it on there way home and it is red. The reason people buy what they buy is non of my business. Fortunately what other people think I should enjoy or drive doesn't matter either I drive my CX-5 because I fit well in it, It is comfortable and the handling makes me smile.

You're absolutely correct. I understand and know this, but the logical side of me really rails against it, no-matter how irrefutably true it is.

The OP bought a CX5 because he, at the time, wanted to try a sexy, reliable, and useful CUV.

The reliable is gone for this particular individual. While driving I realized I didn't favor stopping so often for gas and the beautiful interior wasn't enough of a reason to keep it - so a hypermiler that is comfy and loaded will do the trick.

I drive slow, I don't off road, and I actually never tried sport mode - so for me - it's simple - let's try something new.

PS - the vette is absolutely the most car you can buy for $50K. European supercar looks in an American muscle package.

:)

I agree 100% on the 'vette, but the ATS platform camaro is about as much of a 'vette as the LS1 camaro was an LS1 'vette. Which is to say...damn close, and the handling gap has been closed significantly...it's HARD to argue (technically) against a new Camaro nearly loaded for mid/high 30's...!

I've been curious as I read threads like this too: FWD, AWD, or is it happening to both? This would be useful information if people are going to spread the word online that their transmission failed and buyer beware.

I had 24k on a 2014 Mazda 3s-GT with just the usual infotainment problems but absolutely no powertrain issues, now I have a 2016 CX-5 GT FWD with about 7k and no significant issues to speak of.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

But Mike, don't I have to start being a little concerned when I go to the NHTSA Website , http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues and see so many complaints about transmission failures in 2016 CX-5s compared to its competitors ????? 17 Powertrain failures (of which 13 appear to be transmission failures) compared to 0 powertrain failures for 2016 Jeep Cherokees and 0 for 2016 Honda CRVs.. I still love my Mazda, have no intentions of getting rid of it but there does appear to be a issue with our auto trans

But Mike, don't I have to start being a little concerned when I go to the NHTSA Website , http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues and see so many complaints about transmission failures in 2016 CX-5s compared to its competitors ????? 17 Powertrain failures (of which 13 appear to be transmission failures) compared to 0 powertrain failures for 2016 Jeep Cherokees and 0 for 2016 Honda CRVs.. I still love my Mazda, have no intentions of getting rid of it but there does appear to be a issue with our auto trans
While you're there, check on 2013-2015 CX-5s...is there any difference?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree 100% on the 'vette, but the ATS platform camaro is about as much of a 'vette as the LS1 camaro was an LS1 'vette. Which is to say...damn close, and the handling gap has been closed significantly...it's HARD to argue (technically) against a new Camaro nearly loaded for mid/high 30's...!

The looks. Only the looks. The C7 is very close to Ferrari/Lambo type styling.

I love that SUPERcar look.

The Prius can be driven short distances using the electric motor. That motor is run bu batteries that are charged by the same motor acting as a generator and that generator is turned using a gasoline engine.
In other words, in order to drive your Prius you need to buy Gas.
According to EPA and EIA, about 67% of the electricity generated in the US was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum). So use your logic, Tesla's are using electricity from big generator in power plants and 67% of them using fossil fuels!

Some countries who have much less natural resources use very high percentage of petroleum to generate electricity, which in fact using gas while your Tesla is charging.

Just remember coal is the leading fuel source for power plants representing 39% of the electricity generated in the US. But coal combustion is more carbon intensive and accounts for 77% of CO2 emissions from electricity sector!

The looks. Only the looks. The C7 is very close to Ferrari/Lambo type styling.

I love that SUPERcar look.

Ironically, my C6Z06 got less compliments from men, women, and children, than my 370Z did. The new C7 is a step up in looks, IMO, for sure, but I dunno. I love the looks of the C7, personally, but the lay person just isn't "into" the corvette as a young person's car. I think the biggest compliment I got was from some cougar.

I am very interested to see the C8. Rumor has it, mid-engine, and WAAYYYY sooner than I suspected. Rumor...

Ironically, my C6Z06 got less compliments from men, women, and children, than my 370Z did. The new C7 is a step up in looks, IMO, for sure, but I dunno. I love the looks of the C7, personally, but the lay person just isn't "into" the corvette as a young person's car. I think the biggest compliment I got was from some cougar.

I am very interested to see the C8. Rumor has it, mid-engine, and WAAYYYY sooner than I suspected. Rumor...

We'll have agree to disagree on all points above. The C6 Z was and is insanely beautiful. When I'm out in my car and it's parked 1 out of every 2 people either engage in conversation or stare and give the thumbs up.

It's definitely a conversation piece.

Back