Full Transmission Replacement

fdew and yrwei52 come on gentleman! How can man-bun be green and groovy at the same time if you b!tc# slap him with reality! Man-bun thought his Leaf/Tesla ran on Unicorn Dust. Or that's what he told man-bun chicks.

How can man-bun then make a statement of ultimate coolness? Where does man-bun turn now?!

I needed a trigger warning! I need a safe place, I feel threatened...

I want to point out that I like the Tesla I am impressed with the design including the innovate battery, the battery location giving a very low CG (lower then a Corvette) The programmable dashboard (Every car maker should follow) and the great acceleration and handling. They are not at a price benefit point (yet) where I would own one but I would jump at the chance to drive one. My problem is with government subsidiaries of anything, Government choices of energy winners and losers. Preferred parking for Hybirds. Notice, If you do that and you have any competition I am gone. I will be at your competitor. And most of all The stupid meaningless phrase Zero Emission second only to Near Zero Emission. While I am having a good rant, my main issue with the Prius is not with the car itself but with the drivers who get in front of me on a fun twisty road in the mountains and drive by there Energy Monitor.

Odd thay you'd buy a GM. Especially corvette. It took GM almost half a decade to admit that poor tolerances were causing ls7 motors to drop valves. Out of spec valve guides. They did everything they could to blame the customer. Cold air intake? Your fault. Tracked it? Your fault.
Mazda owned their issue and replaced it free of charge. Something like that wouldn't bug me. It happens.
Most popular and reliable electric car ever made to date - not so sure I consider it a joke.
But I respect your opinion.
I'm finished with Mazda.

I bought it for reliability - so far I've had to have a rim replaced for being manufactured out of balance, I've had to have the leather replaced on one seat because of splitting, I've had to have the motor replaced on the drivers seat for burning up, then the recall on the fuel thingy and now a full transmission replacement.
This is not meant to be an attack.
The Corvette you bought had tons of reliability issues. Car and Driver had a Stingray they did a test on and the engine blew up like a grenade at 6,000 miles. It had TONS and TONS of reliability issues. They even wrote an article on it: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up
I quote:
"The litany of breakdowns suffered by our long-term 2014 Chevrolet Stingray Coupe C7 was simply appalling."
The point of my post is to show that ANY vehicle can suffer breakdowns. Mazda CX5's are pretty reliable. Sure your trans failed but Mazda replaced it for free. Nothing is perfect in life.
I believe the main reason OP bought Mazda CX-5 was for reliability. Now the trust was broken, and he simply just dumped her.

No matter how poor the reliability is for Corvette, he like it and the reliability is not the reason he bought a Corvette!

Wait until you got stranded in the middle of nowhere during a long road trip with no warning signs, and say you don't really care about this potential transmission problems on your 2016 CX-5.

Comparing the emissions put out by a power plant making electricity to number of gas cars to make equivalent power is ridiculous. Power plants are way more efficient (especially natural gas) Solar is a power option, but you'll likely make the same argument that the power it takes to create them makes them no better either. Another falsehood. If Tesla's new car stays around $35K and get 200 miles per charge, it will take them out of the niche market and they'll sell enough to make a profit.
According to EPA for total US greenhouse gas emissions in 2013, 31% is from electricity, 27% is from transportation, 21% is from industry, 12% is from commercial and residential, and 9% is from agriculture.

Further, coal is the leading fuel source for power plants, which represents 39% of the electricity generated in the US. But coal combustion is more carbon intensive and accounts for 77% of CO2 emissions from electricity sector! Here is the list of major energy sources and percent share of total US electricity generation in 2013:

• Coal -- 39%
  • Natural gas -- 27%
  • Nuclear -- 19%
  • Petroleum -- 1%
  • Hydropower -- 6%
  • Other renewables -- 7%

See how many Tesla lovers know power plants are the leading greenhouse emission contributor among economic sectors? Not to mention we've to pay much higher cost by using more renewables to generate electricity if we try to lower the emissions from coal power plants. Current partial zero emissions vehicle, PZEV, is still the best compromise between the acceptable energy cost and protecting the environment.

Said it before, you go ahead and try to order a Tesla Model 3 for $35,000 and let us know how did your do it!

I believe the main reason OP bought Mazda CX-5 was for reliability. Now the trust was broken, and he simply just dumped her.

No matter how poor the reliability is for Corvette, he like it and the reliability is not the reason he bought a Corvette!

Wait until you got stranded in the middle of nowhere during a long road trip with no warning signs, and say you don't really care about this potential transmission problems on your 2016 CX-5.

Thank you....I just didn't have it in me to reply...but you nailed it.

My daily driver MUST be rock solid reliable and needing a new transmission @ 11K and 9 months just broke that trust.

The Corvette - I drive to the car show 3 miles away - park it and sit next to it. If I break down or the Vette explodes on a Sunday - I could care less. I can walk home.

If you don't understand these 2 concepts - I don't know what else to say to you.

I am not bashing Mazda - I am not saying anything negative either. I am simply saying for me - the trust is gone.

On the other hand - I see the guys on the Corvette forum who have to enter litigation to get a valve cap replaced (making a joke there guys - meaning GM fights most large warranty claims) and Mazda on the other hand - rolled out the red carpet.

So - before you go into attack mode and continue bashing me for my choices - sorry - I have the cash to pretty much do as I please as often as I please - I have been blessed to be able to do that.

Dave

Yup. I just dumped my 2015 last week after the transmission died at 24,000 miles. I drive through some rough neighborhoods at rough hours to get to/from work. I don't need to worry about my transmission dying again.

So - before you go into attack mode and continue bashing me for my choices - sorry - I have the cash to pretty much do as I please as often as I please - I have been blessed to be able to do that.

Dave

Makes complete sense. Enjoy your rides.

Agreed. And the 'Vette may never require a dealer visit.

So far, my CX-5 has two recalls, my Escape (with 214,000+ miles), never had a recall or visit to the dealer.

I'm not worried about it. That's life. There is no such thing as buying a new vehicle and guaranteeing it will be 100% trouble free. It's a risk buying something new since even though the drivetrain has been out for a few years, things change on the assembly line, suppliers can change their part supply.

Those who are married on this forum can't guarantee that they will remain married "till death do you part" as statistics show you have a 50% chance of divorce. I've known a couple that were married for 25 years and they got a divorce when they were in their 50's. It was a shock but statistically once you marry you have 1:2 odds of getting a divorce. It's a high risk but people still do it.

That's the point of my post here on this thread. It's a risk getting a new car. Only time and mileage will prove whether the vehicle is reliable. Mazda has stepped up to the plate for these CX5 owners and replaced the transmission with no hassles.

I'm not going to worry about something I can't control. Life happens and vehicles breakdown, people divorce, people get killed on the roadways, people die of cancer and heart attacks, s*** happens, that's life.

I'm not worried about it. That's life. There is no such thing as buying a new vehicle and guaranteeing it will be 100% trouble free. It's a risk buying something new since even though the drivetrain has been out for a few years, things change on the assembly line, suppliers can change their part supply.

Those who are married on this forum can't guarantee that they will remain married "till death do you part" as statistics show you have a 50% chance of divorce. I've known a couple that were married for 25 years and they got a divorce when they were in their 50's. It was a shock but statistically once you marry you have 1:2 odds of getting a divorce. It's a high risk but people still do it.

That's the point of my post here on this thread. It's a risk getting a new car. Only time and mileage will prove whether the vehicle is reliable. Mazda has stepped up to the plate for these CX5 owners and replaced the transmission with no hassles.

I'm not going to worry about something I can't control. Life happens and vehicles breakdown, people divorce, people get killed on the roadways, people die of cancer and heart attacks, s*** happens, that's life.

Yeah - but if you married a woman who was abused by her daddy as a child, divorced 4 times before you, and drinks to drown her sorrows from life - you're already behind the 8 ball.

My CX5 is THAT woman :)

I've just ordered a CX-5 with a high torque diesel and auto box. I'm not worried about it in the least.

According to EPA for total US greenhouse gas emissions in 2013, 31% is from electricity, 27% is from transportation, 21% is from industry, 12% is from commercial and residential, and 9% is from agriculture.

Further, coal is the leading fuel source for power plants, which represents 39% of the electricity generated in the US. But coal combustion is more carbon intensive and accounts for 77% of CO2 emissions from electricity sector! Here is the list of major energy sources and percent share of total US electricity generation in 2013:

• Coal -- 39%
  • Natural gas -- 27%
  • Nuclear -- 19%
  • Petroleum -- 1%
  • Hydropower -- 6%
  • Other renewables -- 7%

See how many Tesla lovers know power plants are the leading greenhouse emission contributor among economic sectors? Not to mention we've to pay much higher cost by using more renewables to generate electricity if we try to lower the emissions from coal power plants. Current partial zero emissions vehicle, PZEV, is still the best compromise between the acceptable energy cost and protecting the environment.

Said it before, you go ahead and try to order a Tesla Model 3 for $35,000 and let us know how did your do it!

Power-plants provide electricity to many sectors, including industry and home use. Being leading contributor does not imply that electric cars will generate more CO2 than cars with gasoline engine. In fact, because electric motors are extremely efficient, even in states with predominantly coal power-plants (e.g. WV, WY), the CO2 footprint of electric vehicles is still a bit lower than that gasoline engine cars. True, in these states, Hybrid cars have the lowest carbon footprint.
If you go to California or New England states, there is a clear significant advantage to all electric.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.php

Note that PZEV is not an indication of CO2 emissions, but rather other pollutants.
Most gasoline engines are very inefficient. Even the current SkyActiv engine is inefficient in the sense of how much of the energy found in the gasoline we use is converted into kinetic energy and how much is just waste heat.
Mazda is in the forefront of research and development of even more efficient gas & diesel engines, and I hope they'll succeed.
On the other hand, while I like the way Tesla is disrupting the market, I will not likely buy a Tesla anytime soon and not because of lack of money. It is possible that our next car will be electric though. Once they'll cross the 150 miles on a charge, it will be sufficient range for a 2nd car. I can also charge for free at work (where it is partially from solar panels) and not paying oil producing countries will be an additional benefit.

Last edited:
I want to point out that I like the Tesla I am impressed with the design including the innovate battery, the battery location giving a very low CG (lower then a Corvette) The programmable dashboard (Every car maker should follow) and the great acceleration and handling. They are not at a price benefit point (yet) where I would own one but I would jump at the chance to drive one. My problem is with government subsidiaries of anything, Government choices of energy winners and losers. Preferred parking for Hybirds. Notice, If you do that and you have any competition I am gone. I will be at your competitor. And most of all The stupid meaningless phrase Zero Emission second only to Near Zero Emission. While I am having a good rant, my main issue with the Prius is not with the car itself but with the drivers who get in front of me on a fun twisty road in the mountains and drive by there Energy Monitor.

I would much prefer an Audi A4 Quatro. Similar pricing, similar performance, much better vehicle, IMO

Thank you....I just didn't have it in me to reply...but you nailed it.

My daily driver MUST be rock solid reliable and needing a new transmission @ 11K and 9 months just broke that trust.

The Corvette - I drive to the car show 3 miles away - park it and sit next to it. If I break down or the Vette explodes on a Sunday - I could care less. I can walk home.

If you don't understand these 2 concepts - I don't know what else to say to you.

I am not bashing Mazda - I am not saying anything negative either. I am simply saying for me - the trust is gone.

On the other hand - I see the guys on the Corvette forum who have to enter litigation to get a valve cap replaced (making a joke there guys - meaning GM fights most large warranty claims) and Mazda on the other hand - rolled out the red carpet.

Dave

You're joke isn't far from off. The dropped valve issue was huge. $17,000 motor + labor. GM had to finally own it, though.

Yeah - but if you married a woman who was abused by her daddy as a child, divorced 4 times before you, and drinks to drown her sorrows from life - you're already behind the 8 ball.

My CX5 is THAT woman :)

I know what you mean. I have owned a Jeep before. That said, it doesn't seem that this is the norm for the CX-5. If it was, Mazda wouldn't care to have the transmission freighted to CA to analyze. They'd chalk it up to "whatever" and save the freight.

More likely to end up in a wreck stranded than with no transmission stranded, to be honest about the realities of driving in ANY vehicle. Except maybe an older Acura TL.

More likely to end up in a wreck stranded than with no transmission stranded, to be honest about the realities of driving in ANY vehicle. Except maybe an older Acura TL.

Two automotive mile stones in my life. The first family vacation trip when we didn't need to stop to change a diaper and the first trip that I did not bring a tool box along. I'm not talking a little canvas tool roll. I'm talking the 60 pound road box. Life is good.

Stopped in to the Toyota dealer last night. They offered me $27K for my CX5 on a fully loaded Prius. Signed the deal - told them about the tranny and they said - get it fixed - and by the time your car is located and transported we will be good to go.

He also said "if the repair is not done by the time your new car is ready - as long as there is an open ticket - we're all good to go."

A prius?? You can afford/drive a new Vette, yet you settle for a prius? You cannot be some tree hugger since you drive a good ol V8, I'm assuming you have decent money to even buy one, why in the world would you buy a prius? Of all the cars out there, I don't get it.

I can understand the frustration though towards Mazda. But hey, that kind of stuff can happen to any car maker.

You're joke isn't far from off. The dropped valve issue was huge. $17,000 motor + labor. GM had to finally own it, though.

GM is a complete joke when it comes to warranty work. They fight you tooth and nail and blame the vehicle owner and attempt to void the warranty work.

The Z06 debacle was mind blowing. GM totally screwed up with the LS7 / Z06 Corvette engine design. The valve would drop into the engine and it would turn into a bomb. GM would blame the driver for over-revving, racing, aftermarket air intake, bad oil change, etc. It was GM's fault for a bad valvetrain design. GM made every attempt to NOT replace the engine under warranty. That's GM for you.

Show me one Mazda owner who had a trans failure and Mazda attempt to blame the driver? Maybe it will happen but so far Mazda owns up and replaces it. Plus Mazda is way smaller of a car company vs GM so Mazda takes a bigger financial hit than GM would but for a small car company Mazda steps up to the plate.

Back