Full Transmission Replacement

I remember that era... you'd be hearing about a whole lot more failures if this was in any way comparable. I'll post a poll. I'm just not sensing a widespread problem here. I would expect to hear a lot more if there was a significant issue.
Going by various posts here, seems like more 2016 transmissions have been replaced than all 2013-2015s combined.
If you count percentage, this transmission failure rate on 2016 CX-5 seems very high even just in this community. Yeah, I agree with craigo, I found less complaints in this forum for those 2013~2015 transmission issue with the TSB.

Maybe the sport mode programming is causing some grief on a few of the 16+ models?
I think you may have hit something here.

The more cars switched to electrical, the more coal and oil get burned to generate more electricity, and the more emmisions need to be taken care of. Not to mention states or countries may have to build more power plants to cover increasing power usage from electrical cars! Yean, you may see the metropolitan area is getting cleaner, but you transferred emissions to power plants. If you look at the earth as a whole, the emissions generated are about the same unless you pay even more to improve those aging US coal power plants to have better emission controls. And we've not mentioned many countries have to use nuclear power plants and they're having problems to handle those unclear wastes.

So what your saying is that cars need energy to run. Even electric cars need to get that energy somewhere. It seems obvious, it should be obvious. But it needs to be said because a lot of people pretend that electric cars run on magic. Sometimes called Zero emission.

This is an interesting topic. I just returned to the dealer a new CX-3 that had its tranny replaced in late March. Mazda agreed to give me a new CX-5 Touring w/Nav as an equal replacement after negotiations with the dealer, me and Mazda Capital Leasing. Mazda was very cooperative during this switch, and made every effort to resolve this in a fast and amicable manner.

The CX-3 I bought in December 2015, only had 1,500 miles on it when the tranny decided to have issues getting into D, especially when coming out of R

There weren't any codes showing when this would happen, and the dealer tech had no clue what was going on. So they called Mazda, and Mazda said to yank out that tranny and ship it to them in CA; they wanted to see what was going on. So the dealer ordered a new tranny and a week later I got the 3 back.

I found this of course to be highly unusual, and called Mazda, the dealer and Mazda Capital Leasing. I made a big issue of this tranny problem along with the lousy paint finish on the car, and constant electronics issues.

Coming from the CX-3 forum, I can state that there are other 3s out there having the same issue. I heard that the 3 and 5 share the same tranny, is that true?

I hope this new CX-5 has had better quality control than the lemon-smelling 3 I bought.

Last edited:
Because I wanted it. It's not a whim - it's a want. I have no kids - an excellent job that I'm very grateful for - and a wife who allowes it :)

I also bought this >> on a whim :) and it's a keeper.

Nice 'vette! Just traded my '12 GS Carlisle Blue coupe in for a new Cadillac ATS-V sedan.

I found this of course to be highly unusual, and called Mazda, the dealer and Mazda Capital Leasing. I made a big issue of this tranny problem along with the lousy paint finish on the car, and constant electronics issues.
Coming from the CX-3 forum, I can state that there are other 3s out there having the same issue. I heard that the 3 and 5 share the same tranny, is that true?
I hope this new CX-5 has had better quality control than the lemon-smelling 3 I bought.
Yes, CX-3 and CX-5 share the same SkyActiv-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission.

I know a general contractor who owns nothing but Prii. He takes on to jobsites and beats the hell out of them. He still has his first one going on 240K on 2nd motor and 2nd set of batteries. On the 2nd gen, he didn't have to replace the brake pads till about 140 miles. Battery went out at 180,000 miles and motor started burning oil. If reliability and low of cost of ownerhsip is what you want can't go wrong with a Prius...

I would be highly disappointed in that kind of ROI.

'06 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD just short of 270,000 miles on original motor and battery and it ain't blowin' smoke yet. It doesn't run in stealth (battery only) as far as it used to, but hey neither do I. That lowly CUV was designed by Mazda, the 4 banger in it is a Mazda MZR engine. Which led us to the new rig.

2015 CX-5 AWD GT - 15 months old and 32,000 miles and not ONE single issue... Oh wait there is one big problem, the infortainment system doesn't read my mind... Maybe it'll blow up tomorrow, maybe it won't. Hasn't yet.

Gotta love them Toyota owners though. They sure stick with it whether it gets recalled every month and blows up in 180,000 miles or not, best dang car ever made and they'll by another right after this one. You betcha.

Last edited:
So what your saying is that cars need energy to run. Even electric cars need to get that energy somewhere. It seems obvious, it should be obvious. But it needs to be said because a lot of people pretend that electric cars run on magic. Sometimes called Zero emission.
Exactly! I was amazed many people so hype on Tesla electrical cars even though many other Euro major brands are slowing down their development in the same area. As I recall, Tesla is still losing money and relies on heavy state and federal subsidies to survive (meaning our tax money). Yeah, zero emission can't power your Tesla but the electrical power plant does. And electrical power plants burn fossil energy which have their own emission issue and nuclear power plants have nuclear waste issue. But most people either choose to ignore them or pretend not to see them. How many people still remember Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima, when we need more nuclear power plants to power our Tesla's?

Exactly! I was amazed many people so hype on Tesla electrical cars even though many other Euro major brands are slowing down their development in the same area. As I recall, Tesla is still losing money and relies on heavy state and federal subsidies to survive (meaning our tax money). Yeah, zero emission can't power your Tesla but the electrical power plant does. And electrical power plants burn fossil energy which have their own emission issue and nuclear power plants have nuclear waste issue. But most people either choose to ignore them or pretend not to see them. How many people still remember Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima, when we need more nuclear power plants to power our Tesla's?

fdew and yrwei52 come on gentleman! How can man-bun be green and groovy at the same time if you b!tc# slap him with reality! Man-bun thought his Leaf/Tesla ran on Unicorn Dust. Or that's what he told man-bun chicks.

How can man-bun then make a statement of ultimate coolness? Where does man-bun turn now?!

I needed a trigger warning! I need a safe place, I feel threatened...

Last edited:
Comparing the emissions put out by a power plant making electricity to number of gas cars to make equivalent power is ridiculous. Power plants are way more efficient (especially natural gas) Solar is a power option, but you'll likely make the same argument that the power it takes to create them makes them no better either. Another falsehood. If Tesla's new car stays around $35K and get 200 miles per charge, it will take them out of the niche market and they'll sell enough to make a profit.

Comparing the emissions put out by a power plant making electricity to number of gas cars to make equivalent power is ridiculous. Power plants are way more efficient (especially natural gas) Solar is a power option, but you'll likely make the same argument that the power it takes to create them makes them no better either. Another falsehood. If Tesla's new car stays around $35K and get 200 miles per charge, it will take them out of the niche market and they'll sell enough to make a profit.

Interesting article by a Civic owner:

https://www.masterresource.org/electric-vehicles/energy-usage-cost-gasoline-vs-electric/

I bought it for reliability - so far I've had to have a rim replaced for being manufactured out of balance, I've had to have the leather replaced on one seat because of splitting, I've had to have the motor replaced on the drivers seat for burning up, then the recall on the fuel thingy and now a full transmission replacement.

This is not meant to be an attack.

The Corvette you bought had tons of reliability issues. Car and Driver had a Stingray they did a test on and the engine blew up like a grenade at 6,000 miles. It had TONS and TONS of reliability issues. They even wrote an article on it: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up

I quote:
"The litany of breakdowns suffered by our long-term 2014 Chevrolet Stingray Coupe C7 was simply appalling."

The point of my post is to show that ANY vehicle can suffer breakdowns. Mazda CX5's are pretty reliable. Sure your trans failed but Mazda replaced it for free. Nothing is perfect in life.

Most popular and reliable electric car ever made to date - not so sure I consider it a joke.

But I respect your opinion.

I'm finished with Mazda.

Odd thay you'd buy a GM. Especially corvette. It took GM almost half a decade to admit that poor tolerances were causing ls7 motors to drop valves. Out of spec valve guides. They did everything they could to blame the customer. Cold air intake? Your fault. Tracked it? Your fault.

Mazda owned their issue and replaced it free of charge. Something like that wouldn't bug me. It happens.

If you count percentage, this transmission failure rate on 2016 CX-5 seems very high even just in this community. Yeah, I agree with craigo, I found less complaints in this forum for those 2013~2015 transmission issue with the TSB.

I think you may have hit something here.

I guess sport mode does something after all...still not jelly of you '16ers!

Well, if it's an issue I'll find out. Never had an auto thay didn't break or act quirky. 43k miles on mine now, so far so good though.

This. One of the most, if not the most, complex pieces of hardware in a vehicle. They all crater. Shouldn't crater too early though. I doubt its sport mode, that has existed on other models (like the 3) for awhile. I'm thinking one of the more silent hardware or manufacturing line changes that takes place throughout the year. Whatever the issue is, I'm fairly confident they'll take care of it quickly and if possible, alert other affected owners if there's something they can do. We have a 3 and they actually set up a special service program for it, complete with mailed notice, because some of them shipped with the spare tire pressure off spec...

Tesla took over 250,000 deposits in two days at 1000 dollars a pop for their new model 3 that won't even be on the road until late 2017. They also just built and opened their own self sustainable lithium battery factory. The model 3 is their first affordable car starting at 35k and up to 50k fully loaded. Offering a fully affordable electric car that as of today exceeds 200 miles per charge or more when released should finally see them turn a profit.

Tesla took over 250,000 deposits in two days at 1000 dollars a pop for their new model 3 that won't even be on the road until late 2017. They also just built and opened their own self sustainable lithium battery factory. The model 3 is their first affordable car starting at 35k and up to 50k fully loaded. Offering a fully affordable electric car that as of today exceeds 200 miles per charge or more when released should finally see them turn a profit.

Tesla also has a poor track record for:

-Reliability
-Service network
-Meeting deadlines

Not a company I'd throw a deposit at.

This. One of the most, if not the most, complex pieces of hardware in a vehicle. They all crater. Shouldn't crater too early though. I doubt its sport mode, that has existed on other models (like the 3) for awhile. I'm thinking one of the more silent hardware or manufacturing line changes that takes place throughout the year. Whatever the issue is, I'm fairly confident they'll take care of it quickly and if possible, alert other affected owners if there's something they can do. We have a 3 and they actually set up a special service program for it, complete with mailed notice, because some of them shipped with the spare tire pressure off spec...

Pretty much. It's why I got a 100K mile warranty. If it dies after that, amortized over time/cost of the vehicle, I'll live with it. I just didn't want it to die at 70K and me be SOL.

... I'm thinking one of the more silent hardware or manufacturing line changes that takes place throughout the year.
Same thoughts.
... My guess is there was a batch of transmission parts having the quality issues which cause the transmission to fail.

But for OP and many 2016 CX-5 owners, we now have fear of that we may get stranded in the middle of nowhere during a long road trip as this problem seems having no warning signs.

Back