Front Strut Boots Torn - what to do?

:
'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White
Just noticed that both boots are torn at the bottom. Both sides pretty much look the same.

torn_boot1a.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z06r9iqsphkcjrb/torn_boot1a.jpg

The car has 7K miles and 7months old.

Will the dealer replace this? Is this a warranty repair?

What do you think.

Last edited:
I think it should be covered by warranty...but you'll never know until you give the dealer the chance to make it right.

Let us know what happens.

I wonder how many 2013 CX-5 have this problem and don't know about it.
Is this guy's problem unique or will all CX-5 going to have this problem?

gova, you can insert your link as an image.

Last edited:
I noticed my strut boots would easily come off one end, with the car wheel off so suspension relaxed, but not torn.

Unfortunately I don't think replacement is a two minute job, let us know the out come, I'll check mine before the first service, just in case.

Of course it's under warranty. Is this your first new car experience?

No, it is not my 1st car. I am on 4th CX-5 now. I've had 2013, 2x2014 and now 2014.5 models. This is wife's 2014 one.

I had to trade in my 2014 CX-5 as dealer fvcked up the allignment so much that it was very bad to drive and still within "mazda's specs" so I could no longer pursue warranty repair.

I asked your thoughts because knowing the dealer(s) they might shift it as wear and tear item to brush me off.

When I called Mazda to get some help, they said that dealer told them 'no issue was found' and send me back to the dealer....

So now, what am I going to do when they say it is "wear and tear", call Mazda again? Hire a lawyer for 5K to fix rubber boots?

Please tell me, perhaps there are some steps I don't know about.

No, it is not my 1st car. I am on 4th CX-5 now. I've had 2013, 2x2014 and now 2014.5 models. This is wife's 2014 one.

I had to trade in my 2014 CX-5 as dealer fvcked up the allignment so much that it was very bad to drive and still within "mazda's specs" so I could no longer pursue warranty repair.

I asked your thoughts because knowing the dealer(s) they might shift it as wear and tear item to brush me off.

When I called Mazda to get some help, they said that dealer told them 'no issue was found' and send me back to the dealer....

So now, what am I going to do when they say it is "wear and tear", call Mazda again? Hire a lawyer for 5K to fix rubber boots?

Please tell me, perhaps there are some steps I don't know about.

This should be a warranty problem, seeing as how the vehicle has so few miles on it. The strut boot, an $8.00 part, protects the damper rod seal from dust and dirt. If left unprotected, the damper rod seal will fail and the strut will leak. How soon this happens depends on your driving environment. I would send Mazda the photo and asked them to confirm what the dealer said regarding "no issue found". If Mazda USA agrees with this dealer then I (a prospective customer) will shop elsewhere for a vehicle.

As for hiring a lawyer for $5K, you could get a suspension shop to replace the boot for about 2%-3% of that cost. Not trying to sound like smart-butt, but did you let a third party alignment shop attempt an alignment on the 2014 you traded? I'm just saying that it sounds like you got a crappy Mazda dealer and you might save money getting service elsewhere rather than disposing of the vehicle. Before I get flamed, I realize I probably don't know all of the details, but I'm giving sound advice based on the info provided.

It should be pretty easy to get it aligned.
One thing to think about is that after a "snap shot"
Is taken showing things in spec, nuts have to be tightened and things can change even
Though it was in spec.
I used to do alignments every now and them at my
B/in laws tire store with a Hunter rack.
Best advice is to never get an alignment on a sat!
That's the busiest day and cars can be stacked waiting for an alignment so
the time to get dead on is not there; in spec is the goal.
Go on a Monday!

The car with crappy alignment has already been traded in. There is nothing to talk about anymore. My loss, new car, period.

This car here - my wife's will be reported in next week. Dealer has not seen it yet as I discovered it yesterday.

I'll report dealer's response to torn boots problem.

The car with crappy alignment has already been traded in. There is nothing to talk about anymore. My loss, new car, period.

This car here - my wife's will be reported in next week. Dealer has not seen it yet as I discovered it yesterday.

Just saying in case it happens again.
To replace the boot, the strut needs to be remove from the car and disassembled, looking
at some thirsty work. In addition, the car should have the alignment checked when
the work is done.

The 2014 with the alignment is forgotten. Hopefully, you won't have any problems with the strut boot warranty replacement. The part that might make it relevant and bridge the two incidents is what katman said, to replace the boot will require removing the strut. The vehicle should be aligned following a strut re-installation. If this is the same Mazda dealership and they are doing similar work....

Bit of advise:

Have the dealer put the car on the alignment rack BEFORE they replace the torn bits, and then when they put the car back together, demand that they adjust the car until the settings either match, or are nearly identical to the reading you had them take before the work was performed.

BC.

Bit of advise:

Have the dealer put the car on the alignment rack BEFORE they replace the torn bits, and then when they put the car back together, demand that they adjust the car until the settings either match, or are nearly identical to the reading you had them take before the work was performed.

BC.

So, you want the dealer to perform 30 minutes worth
of labor for free? Good luck with that.

Bit of advise:

Have the dealer put the car on the alignment rack BEFORE they replace the torn bits, and then when they put the car back together, demand that they adjust the car until the settings either match, or are nearly identical to the reading you had them take before the work was performed.BC.
And the reasoning behind that would be...??

I believe the reason that an alignment is required is because of the suspension disassembly and reassembly required to replace torn boots, under warranty in this case.

Process is similar to spring and/or shock replacement (similar to as when we have lowering springs installed), realignment is always advisable afterwards to insure within Mazda specs.

Back