friend got an rx-7. *sigh*

shaneMazda2000P said:
thats kool, i was just sayin in genral terms, most people use and abuse them hence killin the motor and turbos..

Right. And hey, sorry if I came off rude. I'm guess I'm just a bit defensive

Last edited:
shaneMazda2000P said:
signal, got any pics of your car, i wanna see it, i always liked the rx7s like urs...

I'm not much of a photographer. These were for insurance. Pretty stock...and boring to most. But I like it. :)

Attachments

• 5th grade party and misc. pics 006.jpg
    5th grade party and misc. pics 006.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 171
  • 5th grade party and misc. pics 005.jpg
    5th grade party and misc. pics 005.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
shaneMazda2000P said:
sexy... pure sexy.. but whats that on the headlight..

Thanks. And it's an Amemiya (sp?) vented headlight cover. Ostensibly for venting an open intake. They don't flow all that much but may help a little with underhood temps. I may be going with a CAI box anyway, M2 hopefully. If so I'll probably go back to my stock cover.

Last edited:
Familia323 said:
Beautiful! I'll take it.

Do a compression check and post the numbers. That determines how well the engine has been treated. Remove the CAS (aka Distributor) and check for residue on the stem. If all is well, beat on it until it goes. Then build a better one.

Alak said:
Do a compression check and post the numbers. That determines how well the engine has been treated. Remove the CAS (aka Distributor) and check for residue on the stem. If all is well, beat on it until it goes. Then build a better one.

(huh)

Alak said:

how are u supposed to check compression on a rotary engine.. and does the rx7 even have a distributor.. i thought they were coil packs..

Compression Check: Pull out spark plug and do a compression check as you would a piston engine. There is a relief button to let off the pressure in the tester after your done with it, you must hold it open for you to get a good reading while cranking. It will bounce. Note the highest it bounces to. Everytime it bounces, thats one face of a rotor, theres 3 faces. Thats why you need to hold the little releif button open.

Distributor: Its called a CAS (Crank Angle Sensor). Its like a wireless distributor located directly behind the power steering. If no power steering is installed, look on the drivers side of the Alternator. Its a little round flat thing with 4 red and green wires coming out of it. Remove but careful not to turn the rotor on the end. Timing if very critical in a rotary. Even one tooth could lead to a head ache.

Alak said:
Compression Check: Pull out spark plug and do a compression check as you would a piston engine.... Distributor: Its called a CAS (Crank Angle Sensor). Its like a wireless distributor...

Ok. But you lost me in your first post. I know we got a bit off-topic, but why are we suppose to do a compression check and on what car?

signal, you said those pictures are boring to some, well they aren't boring to me. absolutely beautiful.

on a different note, there is a guy that works with my roommate that has an LS1 in his 3rd gen. it just pisses me off. i would baby the s*** out of a 3rd gen, i would massage the rotary everyday! i love everything about the car and an LS1 will never be introduced into my fantasy of the RX. EVER!

A Blown rotary will still run. It will get you too and from work. Heck it will even run with low compression on a non-blown motor. You do a compression check to see how strong the motor is. If it ever breaks down, thats rotary 101. Compression check is the first step. 60PSI a Face (3 faces a rotor remember) is weak. 90PSI+ per rotor face is strong. Over 100PSI and its VERY strong.

Alak said:
A Blown rotary will still run. It will get you too and from work. Heck it will even run with low compression on a non-blown motor. You do a compression check to see how strong the motor is. If it ever breaks down, thats rotary 101. Compression check is the first step. 60PSI a Face (3 faces a rotor remember) is weak. 90PSI+ per rotor face is strong. Over 100PSI and its VERY strong.
In all seriousness... WhyTF are you talking about this s***? (poke)

The point is... the rotarys in this thread are bad ass. Lets all take a minute to enjoy them in silence..

Just giving advice to the rotary crowd. Not alot of people know that the simplest s*** can save you from alot of s***.

Back