Ford Focus ST vs Mazdaspeed3

Focus ST does handle much better stock for stock. It's just a tad slower in straight line power but not by much. Interior of the Ford is nicer IMO. Overall though, I like my 08 GT and with it's intake and tune, it's not only laying down significantly more power in a much more linear and smoother fashion it is now way more rev happy too.

The Focus ST is an undeniable challenger and value. The interior? I prefer my 08 GT...seems more mature. The acceleration sounds in the cabin are a matter of taste. The overall performance is very close. The one drawback to the Focus ST is the look of the engine compartment. Cables and wires going in every direction with no rhyme or reason to its layout...ugh.

Oh yeah...most of the Focus STs in my area are loaded to the hilt with everything the dealers could think of making them $30K machines.

Last edited:
The Focus ST is an undeniable challenger and value. The interior? I prefer my 08 GT...seems more mature. The acceleration sounds in the cabin are a matter of taste. The overall performance is very close. The one drawback to the Focus ST is the look of the engine compartment. Cables and wires going in every direction with no rhyme or reason to its layout...ugh.

Oh yeah...most of the Focus STs in my area are loaded to the hilt with everything the dealers could think of making them $30K machines.
I'm on Long Island and I have only seen 1 Focus ST on the road!

I've only seen a couple of STs on the road so far too. The only thing I like about the ST interior is the Recaros.

I actually had considered Focus ST prior to my purchase of MS3. The rear hatch room in the ST was non-existence, the interior room was much smaller than the MS3,and not to mention the saIesman was a douche bag. But I have to admit that the interior design, and the Recaro seat were what attracted me to the ST. Despite, I still chose the MS3 due to its value, performance, and of course, the look.

The Focus ST had an extensive development period. They tested and refined all aspects of the car continuously throughout. The end product was a refined,powerful and well-handling vehicle. The MS3 has been champ for 6 years and the Ford ST has knocked it off the throne.The MS3 is probably past its prime and needs to be clean slated,which it most likely will be.
I cross shopped the ST against the MS3, I chose the MS3,because it was a better value for the money I wished to pay. I liked the ST,but it was too quiet,I did not care for the 'Sound Symposer' and it was beyond my price point.

ST is a value? compared to what? Not the MS3.
MS3 is far from being knocked off it's throne. ST power falls off the cliff far too early and it's basically a smaller version of the MZR with minor changes. Aside from the fact that it uses a smaller turbo.

ST is a value? compared to what? Not the MS3.
MS3 is far from being knocked off it's throne. ST power falls off the cliff far too early and it's basically a smaller version of the MZR with minor changes. Aside from the fact that it uses a smaller turbo.
Please read my comment again and check my sig. I understand your points, but you have to see that the competition has caught up. I love my MS3, that is why this is my second one!

competition how so? have you seen the factory dyno on it? In bone stock setup, the turbo is already wheezing, hence the huge torque. It falls on its face in the top end which does no good on the street, and no tunes fix that.

competition how so? have you seen the factory dyno on it? In bone stock setup, the turbo is already wheezing, hence the huge torque. It falls on its face in the top end which does no good on the street, and no tunes fix that.
I will say one thing, I have never seen so many rigged comparo tests in my life! Ford must be paying off every magazine!

I work at a Ford/Mazda/Honda dealer, so I keep a close eye on the Civi SI, Focus ST, Mustang, and MS3. Here are my 2cents on the debate
"Heres food for thought on the ST,
If you look at a base model, and add bluetooth. You are still at 25k evenish. The starting price for MS3 is 24995 with comparable features. Adding the tech package(MS3) adds 2485 for a total of 27,480. Once you start adding the packages to the ST it surpasses the MS3 in features thus making it more expensive. So the real question is, is the extra 3 grand on the Focus ST for the extras really worth it?
For Ford die hards I'd say yes, for your average consumer nah"

Back