For those who think the CX-9 leather is too hard, think again!

I have heard some complaints on here about how the seat leather is too hard, etc.

Just to put it into perspective, think about this:
I took these pix today of a 2010 Honda Accord with 10,000 miles.

What do you think this soft buttery leather is going to look like in 10 years?
P3072327.jpg

P3072328.jpg

P3072329.jpg

My point is that soft leather cracks, splits and separates much quicker, ages much faster than a smooth stiffer leather does. Just saying, a mfr has to decide whether to go for soft and short life or firm and long life.

Look at the leather surface of a 10 year old suburban, and then look at the leather of a 10 year old Volkswagen. The VW will have some minor cracks, and a little splitting on the bolsters, however the Suburban leather will be completely split apart all over the place, because it was too soft and squishy, can't stand the test of time.

Last edited:
Mazda CX9 switched to softer leather starting from 2009/2010.
We are the lucky ones with 2008, my friend. That is the way I see this.
Soft leather cracks over time if not properly maintained.
German automakers love to use hard leather, Japanese ones, on the contrary, like softer leather.

Went car shopping with my friend last week & she ended up getting a 2011 CX-9....VERY soft leather, but those seats are so comfortable. I guess I better coach her on care & maintenance.

Yeah, just a spray bottle of Armor All Leather Protector or Mcguires or whatever, but deffinately a must for longevity, plus helps keep the new car smell a little longer.

My 2002 Audi S4 has Silk Nappa Leather which is very soft and incredibly smooth. Ironically, it looks and wears better than my 2007 CX9's leather.

We have a 2009, and 2009's still have the hard leather. Maybe it will last longer, but it sure isn't as comfortable as softer leather, at least for my taste. It's not like it's uncomfortable, but it's not exactly what some one might consider a "luxury" leather..I guess there are trade-offs. I think I'd prefer the softer leather with added care / maintenance.

When looking at the CX9 I actually had a salesman tell me that 'all Japanese cars have hard leather like this because it lasts longer.' I invited him out to Subaru which had softer (but still firm) leather and wondered if he had ever been in a Lexus. In any case, I would like the leather to be a bit softer but I've gotten used to it. Definitely better than the Accord situation show above.

I have a 01 Audi and 07 Mercedes and the 07 CX9. Obviously the leather in the Mazda is slightly inferior to the other 2 but we still love driving it. If I cared more about only the fit & finish rather than the value, we would have bought a Q7. I like the CX9 hard leather or not. Plus we get more compliments on the Mazda than the c230 AMG anyway.

I looked at a Q7...as they depreciate 2x faster than cx-9s, they are the same price after 2 years. I went against it: premium gas, un-godly repair bills down the road, based on vw's/audi's track record the last 20 years, fugly interior, weight. CX-9 all the way.

Just got my 2011 Touring a few weeks ago, had two days of 840 miles plus per day, hard leather. soft leather that CX9 made those long mile days routine! Best SUV/Crossover for the money!!

Just got my 2011 Touring a few weeks ago, had two days of 840 miles plus per day, hard leather. soft leather that CX9 made those long mile days routine! Best SUV/Crossover for the money!!

I find the leather of the CX-9 to be just right. I love the firm supportive seats vs. the soft living room couch leather in the Subaru Outback I traded. The hard and tight leather on my 200 Acura TL has worn well over the 7 years I've owned it. it's stretched a little and creased more on the driver's side naturally. I've used Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner on them once a year and it's held up well. It's what I used on my CX-9 right after I took her home.

Luxury vehicles drop by 1/2 after first 3 yrs.
It is a rule of thumb.
Vehicles like CX9 drop about 35-40% after 3 yrs.
According to the Nada site, my '08 drops about 27% only. I don't think so.

Bottom line, you need to take care of your leather/pleather if you want it to last. Everyone's experience with respect to leather wear will vary because we all weigh differently are all built differently, sit differently and wear different clothing in different climates. Of course parts suppliers do test the materials' long-term wear, but that's a finite number of tests for what are possibly millions of not billions of scenerios. Also cost plays into it. You want real leather you're going to pay, which is one of the reasons why Mazda uses vinyl on the 3rd row of the CX-9.

you sure about that? maybe they changed it in recent models. My 3rd row is entirely leather, soft & buttery, and the front seats and center seats have plastic like vinyl center portions (the part that you sit on and that your back rests against)

had an 08 and now the 11 and the leather is much nicer. Very noticeable. The 08's weren't bad just not as nice as the 11's. They are almost up to the leather i liked in my mother in law's acura tsx 09. My favorite leather was actually in the 09 genesis sedan. That stuff was surprisingly sexy.

According to the most recent spec list on the Mazda site the "1st and 2nd row are leather trimmed". Doesn't indicate what the 3rd row is trimmed with but I would guess Vinyl. 08' may have been different but I know for a fact that my '10 third row is not leather. Which is fine with me since it typically stays folded or is inhabited by kids. FWIW

Back