For those eagerly awaiting Gen 3

While back there was a viral vid of a small EV BMW. Was modified with the Jetsons engine sound.

i think for real, or maybe the poster added the sound? Either way, would be hilarious to see/hear that.

While back there was a viral vid of a small EV BMW. Was modified with the Jetsons engine sound.

i think for real, or maybe the poster added the sound? Either way, would be hilarious to see/hear that.
There was an article of a sound studio spending a year to "perfect" the audio that was going to be used in one of the EVs (I believe it was Nissan, but I could be wrong.) It just smelled like someone was really milking it.

Regarding your video...enjoy!

IMG_20190705_172720.jpg

I don't likey likey. But hear me out.

My Father in law has a Harley. No bikes in my neighborhood, so if I hear one, he's coming to visit.

Don't likey likey.
Ah, yes.
Pavlov lives.

At least he gives you a warning. Pray he doesn't get an EV and soft sneakers.

Speaking of new models - anybody else get the naming survey for the Mazda 3?

I was talking mostly about loud, heavy and inefficient Harleys, with modified exhaust or "improved" shitboxes with a loud exhaust.
Those are just a public menace and should be outlawed.

Also, the Ferrari video is a rarity for most of us:
1. Empty road: in reality, the Ferrari will be stuck behind a slowpoke driving 10MPH below the speed limit, or going 5MPH in a traffic jam, or with multiple stops at the light.
2. Almost nobody drives a Ferrari. For many Americans, the idea of a fun car is a large heavy SUV/Pickup with a high center of gravity and a large engine.
3. Folks prefer plush luxury to road handling. They also prefer a soft ride over handling. This is why Subaru sells better than Mazda.
4. People prefer a quiet ride to a noisy Ferrari. When walking or sitting at home they prefer quiet cars...

A relative of mine has a Porsche, but it is hard to get into and the clutch is heavy, so he much prefers driving his wife's automatic Volvo wagon.

The video is an idealized driving experience you can pretty much get only on the track. In reality, you drive with many other people, stop and go with very little enjoyment. In this environment, a comfortable quiet ride is better.

What Ferrari video?

Anyway I wasn't chatting with you. I was specifically appreciating Uno's post (quoted him) about appreciating the sound of a performance car off in the distance while he was hiking. I must be an outlier because I don't fit most of what you posted. I love just about any performance car.

I'm still waiting on the 2020s turbo models to show up at my dealers in a decent number. I think my dealer has one and the dealer 30 miles away has two. Ed

I'm still waiting on the 2020s turbo models to show up at my dealers in a decent number. I think my dealer has one and the dealer 30 miles away has two. Ed
I just looked at my dealer's website. They have 2 locations in North Carolina plus 1 here in central Virginia. Between the 3 locations, they have 12 Reserves and 0 Signatures in stock. There are Reserves at all 3 dealerships.

The dealer in the high income area outside of DC I used to live in has 10 Reserves and 7 Signatures in stock. A dealer further out in the burbs has 15 Reserves and 8 Signatures in stock.

It looks like supply is loosening up from earlier in the year, at least in the higher income areas. Didn't someone say that supply was being allocated based upon last year's sales? Of course, we don't have visibility into recent sales or shipments in the pipeline.

At a higher level, January 2020 CX-5 sales were 12,908 while 2019 sales were 10,652 (21% increase.) Feb has not posted yet. I've yet to find sales data by trim. I doubt that it's publicly available.

I just looked at my dealer's website. They have 2 locations in North Carolina plus 1 here in central Virginia. Between the 3 locations, they have 12 Reserves and 0 Signatures in stock. There are Reserves at all 3 dealerships.

The dealer in the high income area outside of DC I used to live in has 10 Reserves and 7 Signatures in stock. A dealer further out in the burbs has 15 Reserves and 8 Signatures in stock.

It looks like supply is loosening up from earlier in the year, at least in the higher income areas. Didn't someone say that supply was being allocated based upon last year's sales? Of course, we don't have visibility into recent sales or shipments in the pipeline.

At a higher level, January 2020 CX-5 sales were 12,908 while 2019 sales were 10,652 (21% increase.) Feb has not posted yet. I've yet to find sales data by trim. I doubt that it's publicly available.

Mazda sold 14,462 CX-5's in February 2020, compared to 13,379 in February 2019. Sales are up this year overall in North America. China is going to be the sht show that kill the global economy.

As for trim, it is not presented. My dealers say he is is selling lots of plain GT's, which surprised the heck out of me.

Mazda sold 14,462 CX-5's in February 2020, compared to 13,379 in February 2019. Sales are up this year overall in North America. China is going to be the sht show that kill the global economy.

As for trim, it is not presented. My dealers say he is is selling lots of plain GT's, which surprised the heck out of me.
Thanks!

CX-5 sales keep on climbing. Every year has outsold the prior, ever since inception. I can see GTs hitting that "features/price" sweet spot.

Where did you find the Feb data? I'd like to update my resources.

Regarding China: I've always been in favor of international trade, because once people get a taste of economic freedom (and have hope for the next generation to "do better"), stability and political change often follows. But it seems that a lot of global eggs are in that basket. I'd like to think it's a wake-up call, but "long term" in Western parlance is defined in months, while in Eastern parlance it's generations or longer.

Thanks!

CX-5 sales keep on climbing. Every year has outsold the prior, ever since inception. I can see GTs hitting that "features/price" sweet spot.

Where did you find the Feb data? I'd like to update my resources.

Regarding China: I've always been in favor of international trade, because once people get a taste of economic freedom (and have hope for the next generation to "do better"), stability and political change often follows. But it seems that a lot of global eggs are in that basket. I'd like to think it's a wake-up call, but "long term" in Western parlance is defined in months, while in Eastern parlance it's generations or longer.

All CX cars are doing well.

The global eggs are in the China basket because it has a billion people. Until the 1850's India and China were 90% of the worlds GDP. China and India now have a larger middle class than the USA and Europe (middle class).

The reason is price/content. I wanted to lease a GT Reserve last summer, but while Mazda offered amazing lease rates on the GT, the GTR had terrible rates. So it made no sense. I ended up with a GT. Wish I had the turbo, but it wasn't worth $90/mth more than the GT IMHO.

I spoke to my dealer today, he also said that they are selling a lot of GTs. People get the same features as the Reserve and don't feel that--for their needs--the turbo is worth the up-charge.

I spoke to my dealer today, he also said that they are selling a lot of GTs. People get the same features as the Reserve and don't feel that--for their needs--the turbo is worth the up-charge.

Yeah, I guess that is it. But boy, is the Turbo nice!

Yeah, I guess that is it. But boy, is the Turbo nice!
Agreed. But as I told him (and have stated here), if I still lived in the DC area, I would not spend the money on one. I would never, ever get to use it. Traffic is congested even on the weekends. There's literally nowhere to go.

So I can sort of understand folks who live in Charlottesville passing it up. $3,400 price spread plus a loss in mileage. Except here you can get out of town and to places you can open it up pretty easily.

Last edited:
The CX-5 redesign should happen for model year 2022, based on their past 5-year cycle.

Back