fog lights always on

ajkulish

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT & 2001 SC Protege
HOW TO: fog lights always on

MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE REGULAR HOW TO SECTION

yes, i know there is another thread out there that is similar to this, but this one is a better solution. the other one allows the fog lights to be on with the parking lights, and low beams. this write up tells how to make the fogs come on alone, with parking lights, with low beams, and with high beams.

what you willl need:
wire cuters
about a foot of wire (just to be safe)
flashlight
spade connector
scotch locks/wire nuts
pliers
flat head screwdriver
12mm or 15/32 socket

time: 20 minutes

the way the fog lights work stock, is that when the lights are on a ground is supplied to the fogs, and you complete the circuit with a press of the switch. when the lights are off, however, there is no ground. so to fix this, you need to supply power to the relay and supply a ground to the switch.

step 1: open the fusebox on the floor. you have to pick a spot that is keyed, so i looked at the diagram and the one i used is number 10. so count the spaces with the normal fuses in them in the order like if you were reading. number ten should be empty, and so should the one above it (number 7).

step 2: strip the end of your wire and twist it. then connect the spade connector to the end of the wire, and insert it to that spot 10 on the fuse box.

step 3: look under the dash, by the steering column. there will be three relays, if i remember correctly. pull down the black and white one with the 4 wires. the wires will be red, lavender, lavender with yellow, and lavender with red. the red one is the one you want, so cut it as far away from the relay as possible.

step 4: once the red wire is cut, scotch lock the red wire connected to the relay to the wire you connected to the fuse box. make sure that the plate is all the way through both wires, use pliers to clamp it. cut the excess wire from the wire you provided.

step 5: now, put the fuse back where it was under the dash, and put the faceplate back on the fuse box cover.

step 6: open the side of the dash that touches the door when it is closed. there cover that you can undo with some leverage to a screwdriver. once inside look at the fog light switch. it has 4 wire coming from it: red with white, lavender with yellow, light green with blue, and white with lavender. cut the red with white one as far away from the switch as possible. you may have to slide back the foam and electrical tape.

step 7: once it is cut, use your excess wire from earlier and scotch lock it to the red with white wire.

step 8: there is a bolt (12 mm or i used 15/32) to the frame by this switch. use a socket and loosen it up. strip the end of the wire you scotchlocked and split the copper wires in a Y shape. put them behind the bolt and tighten it again.

turn on the car and hit your fog switch, and they will turn on alone. your finished.

fogs alone

02151954.jpg

fogs and parking lights

02151954a.jpg

fogs and high beams

02151955.jpg

Last edited:
yeah ill try to take some more specific pics tonight, but none of the other fog write ups have pics either.

Sub means you are subscribing to a thread so it shows up on your user CP when something new is posted to it

Bump means you want your thread to get jumped up to the top of the new post list even though you really dont have anything to say. For example, people do it on forsale thread so hopefully people will see what they have to sell

Sub means you are subscribing to a thread so it shows up on your user CP when something new is posted to it

Bump means you want your thread to get jumped up to the top of the new post list even though you really dont have anything to say. For example, people do it on forsale thread so hopefully people will see what they have to sell
ahhhh thanks man

I've done the basic setup from the other thread about 4-5 years ago and LOVIN' it! Good job on a different approach man. Thumbs up!

I just did this today, however I didn't ground the switch, I left it stock so they would still off with high beams. Did this for less drain on the charging system.

Last edited:
Ajkulish, Thanks for the great write up, but before I tackle this job... just wanted to know what guage wires did you guys use? Also, any problems arise so far with tapping directly into the fuse box? Thanks!

any1 know of a similar thread DIY but w pictures (step by step type)

good DIY tho, just wish there were pics :/

sorry i never got pics. and i dont remember the guage wire. anything you have laying around willl work just fine. and no issues with tapping issues

Back