Flexible Oil Change Duration Change

:
2020 CX-5
On my 2016 CX-5 when I selected Flexible as the oil change duration the monitor just gave a percentage of oil life. I just took delivery of a 2020 Signature and when I selected the Flexible oil change duration option (actually it was the default choice) it gave me a 7,000 mile duration, rather than a percentage of use. Has Mazda changed how the this works or is the fixed duration a function of the fact that the Signature uses the turbo engine, which may have more demanding oil requirements.

Just curious. 7,000 miles on synthetic oil sounds reasonable.

It should read 7500 mi after a fresh reset. The change from "% left" (like on your 2016) to "miles left" happened with the 2017 model year. Time since production ate up 500 miles for ya.

Last edited:
It should read 7500 mi after a fresh reset. The change from "% left" (like on your 2016) to "miles left" happened with the 2017 model year. Time since production ate up 500 miles for ya.
Exactly! I personally like the ‘%’ of oil life left on my 2016 CX-5. Using the mileage simply is confusing. And yes, I also found the mileage of oil life will be eaten up while the brand new CX-5 sitting in the dealer’s lot. Each reset should get the flexible OCI back to 7,500 miles.

Exactly! I personally like the ‘%’ of oil life left on my 2016 CX-5. Using the mileage simply is confusing. And yes, I also found the mileage of oil life will be eaten up while the brand new CX-5 sitting in the dealer’s lot. Each reset should get the flexible OCI back to 7,500 miles.

Actually the mileage flexible OCI makes more sense then a %. A mileage setting is easy to go by, its been used forever to determine oil changes. The logic may still use a % in the code but they present it with a mileage amount to the driver.

What % would a user determine a change is required? I bet noone would let reach 0%....most would start changing oil at 10-25% range.....essentially an unnecessary early change.

By using the mileage logic presentation people will let that mileage get the the wrench indicator before springing for the OC.

Just my opinion of course lol.

Actually the mileage flexible OCI makes more sense then a %. A mileage setting is easy to go by, its been used forever to determine oil changes. The logic may still use a % in the code but they present it with a mileage amount to the driver.

What % would a user determine a change is required? I bet noone would let reach 0%....most would start changing oil at 10-25% range.....essentially an unnecessary early change.

By using the mileage logic presentation people will let that mileage get the the wrench indicator before springing for the OC.

Just my opinion of course lol.
The logic should be the same for flexible OCI calculation as you said. For 2016 CX-5 the wrench indicator will be illuminated when remaining oil life distance is less than 250 miles, or remaing days are less than 15 whichever comes first. For gen-2 CX-5 it’s when the remaining oil life distance is less than 600 miles. To me the hidden calculation on 2016 CX-5 is the miles then it’s converted into percentage.

Back