Fixing one issue exposes another - heater core

NeilBey

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Got the MSP back on the road. The head gasket went out on me a few months back and I had coolant boiling over and exhaust fumes coming out of the fill neck on the radiator. Just drove her home after doing the head gasket, timing belt and components, VCTS delete, cylinder head resurface, and replacing all the other gaskets and seals I could get my grubby hands on. Seriously, what a job! I'm no stranger to mechanic-ing, but this is the first time I've done a head gasket. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Unfortunately, after taking it for it's testdrive, I noticed the smell of coolant wafting up. Sure enough, the passenger side floor was soaked in coolant. This can mean only one thing - heater core. After doing a little research, I found that it's as big a job to do as I remember them being. I've done one before on another car (and it too, was a b**** to do). I bypassed it for now and am going to research it a bit before undertaking the job when the weather chills down again later this year.

Anyone care to share any pearls of wisdom on this job? I'm mechanically-minded, so spare the laymens terms. Anything you remember standing out last time that could have been avoided easily? I'm also happy to share any tidbits from my adventures doing the repairs I just mentioned too.

That sucks man, as you know you are in for a hell of a time pulling the dash!!! Have fun!

Back