Extended Warranty??

lcann25

:
2014 CX-5
Hey Everyone!

I live in Canada so my figures will be in metric.. Sorry bout that to the Americans out there!

I just purchased a Aluminum Mica 2014 GS today, and will be picking up tomorrow. They gave me a pamphlet while I was there to think about adding the extended warranty to extend the basic 36mos/80,000kms to 84mos/160,000kms. It will increase my monthly payments by $30 per month, and includes roadside assistance and tire road hazard. However, I doubt I'll be travelling that much to need road side assistance, and the dealership is an hour away from where I live, so I would likely just do any tire work that is needed locally. Do you think the extended warranty is a good idea, or a waste?

Don't you get roadside assistance through Mazda for 36 months? So basically you're paying from 36-84 months & most major repairs are after 7 years. I opted not to get the extended warranty bc I figured the repairs I spent on my last 3 cars were less than the cost of extended warranty.
How much would that $30/month total to? $1500?
What does thi extended warranty cover? Only drivetrain only right? Not bumper to bumper & doesn't include wear & tear items like struts, brakes, etc.

My dealer has free oil changes thru a deal with Castrol and as long as you meet their schedule they extend the engine warranty to 100,000 miles. The catch is they are not free because there are a few other things they charge you $99 for so there is that $30 a month.

I don't know if it's available in Canada but I think it's Allstate or AAA that offers a roadside assistance card that you only pay for if you use. My CX-7 went 150,000 miles and never needed help until some trees jumped out in front of me :(

You don't need to sign up for the extended warranty when you purchase the vehicle but, before the basic warranty is up. That way if you for whatever reason, you don't want the vehicle and sell, the money is not wasted. I have never bought an extended waraanty on the 8 new vehicles I've owned, and I have only needed a repare once that cost me ~ $450. Ed

I do not believe in the extended warranty, unless we are talking about a car with known reliability issues or something that is different, with lots of new technology or electronics that could go wrong. I believe it to be a highly individual car, and price sensitive issue.

I have only bought it one time, for 7 years or 120K miles for $1500 which was a deal in itself, 60% off dealer asking price. For me it was a piece of mind deal for a car that at the time had much higher tech content than most cars out there, AND because warranty was backed by Acura, and extension of their standard bumper to bumper warranty, not a third party insurance such as used by Mazda. Since I typically keep my cars over 10 years, it was worth it to me.

So far, I have not used it for much, but I do have a drive shaft bearing that is getting noisy, and the recommended fix is to replace the entire two piece carbon fiber drive shaft and middle bearing which is $4K. My nav system had an issue where the drive scratched the DVD, but there was a TSB on that $600 repair. It was handled no problem on warranty, but I probably could have gotten it done without the extended warranty with a little bit of argument and documentation. So I am really looking at the warranty only to handle to drive shaft issue or perhaps one of the touch sensitive door handles...the lock request button used by Mazda is more reliable than the touch sensitive handles originally introduced by Acura. I have not had any issues with the handles, but others have. I had expected to have issues with the complex torque shifting AWD, but have not to date, nor even a hint of any issues.

Bottom line, I don't think it is worth it for a Mazda that has very high past reliability and the tech in the Mazdas is not that unusual as they were in my case for a car designed in 2004.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I didn't realize I could pay for it at a later date if I decide to get it, I went without it.

Be careful buying an aftermarket extended warranty, the fine print lets them wiggle out if you didn't stick to the service plan, didn't use ASM mechanics or factory parts and that means no upgrading parts too!

im looking to get EW for my 2008 cx7 85k miles transmission is getting flaky now

contacted mazda and pointed me to their website about extended confidence...anyone knows how much these are?

and im looking at carchex also theyre selling me $2100 for 3yr/36000 18monthly payments

on the other hand..i just bought a new 2013 honda crv with extended warranty 96m/100k for $1800

In the past I have never felt the extended warranties were worth it. That being said, I usually stay away from the high end trims and thus the most technically sophisticated car I have ever owned had a 6-disc cd changer. I have heard horror stories from friends with expensive electronics repairs (nav, ecu, digital controls, etc.) so when I decided to get the GT+tech package, I went with the extended warranty as well. I always keep my cars as long as possible, and so for me its a little extra insurance that hopefully I will never need. Time will tell if I wasted my money or not :)

Bought it with my 2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT and it ended up paying for itself after two repairs. I ended up going with the Mazda extended warranty when I picked up my 2014 CX 5 GT Tech.

Just bought a CX-5. What percent discount off the listed price of the extended warranty is reasonable to ask?

Latest posts

Back