Engine ceased - Possible hydrolock

SPEED305

Contributor
:
SPEED3
wassup you all...

coming home yesterday we had terrible rain in my area. Just trying to get home, and the engine died going thru what i thought was not deep water.

Called the insurance company, they will get the car towed to my local Mazda dealer to check it out.

Im wondering if I should try starting it again, or just leave it as is and let the mechanic deal with it. What do you all think??

Also wondering if any of my dealer installed parts (CAI, Springs, Exhaust) will cause a problem.

I have full coverage insurance, so lets see how it plays out.

Keep you all posted.

Last edited:
i did the same thing...its hydrolocked...probably bent rod like mine i have full coverage and insurance paid it all minus deductible.

Get rid of the CAI and put the car back to stock as original as possible. Do not start the car ! Let the dealer look over the car. Get a price from them and also check some local shops to do the engine swap if you have a bent rod.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter that it has CAI, there is no wording in an auto policy to exclude the coverage for it. It will be covered.

Get rid of the CAI and put the car back to stock as original as possible. Do not start the car ! Let the dealer look over the car. Get a price from them and also check some local shops to do the engine swap if you have a bent rod.

If it was dealer installed, he shouldnt have a problem.

Doesn't matter that it has CAI, there is no wording in an auto policy to exclude the coverage for it. It will be covered.

yes there is. read the fine print. Any aftermarket parts must be claimed on the insurance. ie you have to tell them that you have x y and z parts on the car. your insurance will then go up/down accordingly and those parts will be covered.

I have a 2005 pilot and put running boards and front and rear nudge guards. I got side swiped. the insurance covered the damage to the car, but I had to pay to repair the running boards myself. If its not claimed, its not covered.

Wow - I had no idea car insurance would even touch an engine failure due to hydrolock.

Cite the specific exclusion or just be quiet. You're issue was not the same. Flood is a covered peril and his hydrolocked engine will be covered less deductible as stated earlier.

why wouldnt they? unless you were trying to forge a river it should be.
Because it's a mechanical failure... I can't think of any other instance in which they'd cover a mechanical failure.

If it was a dealer install make sure your paper work says so !!! And when you get the car running DO NOT install the CAI again. A turbo car does not need a CAI, that is what the intercooler is for.

Cite the specific exclusion or just be quiet. You're issue was not the same. Flood is a covered peril and his hydrolocked engine will be covered less deductible as stated earlier.

heres one i found in five minutes, now you can shutup. it depends on state but aftermarket parts that are covered are ones that are OEM equal, not performance based. so they dont have to replace your FMIC with another one, they can just give you back the stock TMIC. And flood is a covered peril unless you decide to try and drive thru a river....(not saying this was the case for the OP), but they wont cover negligence

And since it happened to me first hand i really dont have to cite anything.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content28875.aspx

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content13740.aspx

http://www.geico.com/information/insurance-terms/#CompetitiveAutoRepairParts

Last edited:
If it was a dealer install make sure your paper work says so !!! And when you get the car running DO NOT install the CAI again. A turbo car does not need a CAI, that is what the intercooler is for.

this statement is completely false

What in the world does one have to do with another here??

The intercooler isnt going to make any difference in the amount of air being supplied to the engine.

The high water is a covered peril. He should be covered -- if he actually has any real damage.

Let's not jump to any conclusion that there is any damage. Most of the time people claim "hydrolock" the water never got into the combustion chambers. The water may have just filled up the air filter and cut off air flow to the engine and the engine simply died because it could not breathe.

This is especially true with an engine that has forced induction and an intercooler. That water, if it gets past the filter, has to go through a long track to get to the turbo, then get compressed in the turbo, turned into steam (this usually will stall the turbo in the process), then go through the intercooler before getting to the intake manifold and eventually through an intake valve into the combustion chamber of a cylinder.

Typically, the fix is simple: you just remove the filter, dry it out or replace it. You remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over to make sure there is no water in the cylinders and that the crank turns freely, replace the plugs, fire it up and get on with the enjoyment of your car.

Way too much hysteria here about "hydrolock" and CAI's. It can happen. But just because the car stalled, does not mean there is engine damage in this instance.

Last edited:
Back