DSMConvert's Airflow AFC - Frequently asked questions

jus10 msp said:
hows everyones afc unit doing?

mines been up and running for a little over a week now. i've run mostly stock boost, few runs @ 8.5, and few @ 10 w/ the mods in my sig. the car runs 10x smoother now. the car boosts smoothly uninterrupted from 2k rpm on w/ no bog. the hessitation is virtually gone and on a suprise note, it killed off some of the turkey.

i'm still waiting to get my 3" exhaust before i get it dyno tuned for 10psi.

Well i will be installing the split second on saturday, and from all these good responses it look like a have alot to look foward too. Bye bye hesitation (blowup) woo hoo!

the software is tuneable, but only for fuel not timing. so yes it can work for you, but you'll have to either have John help you with the maps or do them yourself while dyno testing.

still waiting to order mine !! i'm sooooooo ready to buy this right now (sad1)

ahh is there any way that i can directly contact john (i.e. via phone- i lost his cell #) ? i am really in deep need of a new part to install on my car. i've been thinking about this every day ahaha and yes i haven't slept yet (eek2)

So we tune the fuel around the factory pcm's pre set timing correct. oh, how many wires need to be spliced? do we have a How To on this thing yet? =)

There's like 7 wires or so. Instructions come with the unit, and they are pretty thorough. No how to is really necessary. They only thing not mentioned is how to mount the unit, as that is up to you.
I posted pics of how mine is mounted.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97852

I had a little trouble getting the manifold pressure line through the firewall(I put it through the driver's side), but follow a boost gauge install and it's the same s***. Or if you already have a boost guage, you're pretty much set.

as soon as I get time I'll ahve the website back up which will have a pdf of the instructions that are included with the afc. They are very specific and basically walk you through the whole install, but I guess a how to write up would be good for tips and tricks and such....I believe there are 7 wires, a few get cut and the rest or t-tap splices.... jflo 813-679-7753...and dont freak out when the voicemail is a lawyer, its my attorney that I have workign on a vehicle fraud case for me so I just forward all my calls to him b/c the guy was threatening me and what not over the phone...

Oh everyone please read my latest thread on in the engine and performance thread! Also currently sold out of AFCs yet again so next shipment wont be in for about a week and a half or so....

if inject a 75 shot of nitrous (keeping the T25R) will the afc be ok to manage the fuel needed or would i need a special map or?(i know i will need bigger injectors) does the MSP fuel pump start becoming a problem at any point?

jeffmsp said:
if inject a 75 shot of nitrous (keeping the T25R) will the afc be ok to manage the fuel needed or would i need a special map or?(i know i will need bigger injectors) does the MSP fuel pump start becoming a problem at any point?

I don't think the AFC would be able to handle this. Adding a nitrous shot is like adding more air to the mix, only it won't be metered by the MAF. Since the AFC has no input for this, it would have no way of knowing when you are giving it the juice. The only thing I that I think would work would be if you altered you MAF signal whenever nitrous was on. Adding the appropriate amount of voltage for the shot you are running. I don't know how hard that would be though, you might be better off with a standalone for those purposes.

Is your engine built? If not I doubt your rods would handle it anyways.

yes 75 shot on stock rods would be a very bad idea...not to mention not much of a point being as the turbo spools up so quickly...peeps is correct, afc cant adjust for what it doesnt see...

wont be on stock rods, im not braindead, just dont want to run the stock T25R past 14psi, the 75 shot goes on after that. Im not gonna bother upgrading the turbo, the stocker is fine and spools really quick.

peepsalot said:
I don't think the AFC would be able to handle this. Adding a nitrous shot is like adding more air to the mix, only it won't be metered by the MAF.

But since the maps run off of manifold pressure why couldn't he use the AFC? Just make a map for it just like you would with any other method of tuning.

I don't see why he couldn't use it if he created a new map for his set-up.

Update: Gas mileage started to drop off to about 390km/tank and I have been experiencing some hesitation and minor fuel cut. I am suspecting a boost leak as it feels exactly like it did with my previous leak. Most of the time the car still pulls hard so I am not going to worry about tracking the leak down right now unless things get really bad. It is just too damn cold here in Ottawa. Hopefully, it is just a loose clamp and won't get much worse.

Still happy as all get out with the AFC.

R

Back