Down to 3 tire options. Opinions Appreciated!

Thanks for your feedback report 👍

I have the LX25's (on our '19 diesel) and they have been outstanding in all areas except hydroplaning resistance. I wouldn't buy them again because of it. The Scorpion AS +3 will be on my radar for the next set.
She has never mentioned a hydroplaning issue but I will let her know to be more careful on the wet roads, just-in-case. Thanks for sharing your experience.
In my experience in pricing tires this past week every place I checked showed the same list prices including Tire Rack with free shipping There may be small differences in install costs or whether a rebate of some kind is offered.

I bought the CC2s from Mavis because I've gotten good service there in the past. Not this time at the Niagara Falls, NY store.

With a 1:00 PM Saturday appointment (not smart on my part) the car was eventually rolled into the parking lot around 3:30 PM. 10 or 15 minutes later I asked if it was still waiting for alignment. It turned out they forgot to do it. The manager then did it himself and I'm then ready to go around 4:00 PM. I asked for the alignment printout--no go because the printer is broken! At least I saw him working on it and I got a verbal report on one left front adjustment that was needed. The manager knocked knocked $25 off the $99 alignment for my trouble. At this point I'm in a hurry and didn't inspect the tires until I got home. Two of these directional tires were installed backward. Back to the shop just before 5:00 PM closing. All they needed to do was swat the right front with the left rear--that took 20 minutes. The next day I noticed they did not return my wheel lock socket. Back again--fortunately they had it at the front desk.

I get this was Saturday afternoon with labor shortages. But really....
I used Mavis once and will never use them again.

She has never mentioned a hydroplaning issue but I will let her know to be more careful on the wet roads, just-in-case. Thanks for sharing your experience.

It comes down to store management and the people they hire. One store may perform poorly while the one across town is fine whether we're talking about tires or hamburgers. I'd had good experiences with that Mavis store in the past. Times change. I forgot to mention they also now have some monster pot holes in their parking lot. :rolleyes:

Looks like Sam's carries the Pirelli's but Costco does not at least in the US. Several members on this forum posted that Costco carries them in Canada. In eastern PA I've used Mavis who is good about about meeting/beating prices.
Yes... I too was able to get my Pirelli's at COSTCO here in Canada, where they have always carried Pirelli, Michelin and Bridgestone.

Hi Folks,
Sticking with OEM size 225/55/19 for my 2021 Signature. I've decided to opt for Gran Touring All Season as opposed to UHP All Season. Basically I'm trying to achieve a Lexus ride in a CX-5....I know wishful thinking.

Some feedback ...........
I'm a huge fan of PIRELLI's P7, or even SCORPION. Similar prices:

* SUGGEST AVOIDING THE ASSURANCE * & maybe see my rant on their sidewall delamination tendency.
* ANY MICHELIN IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE *

have you considered the continental cross contact lx or general altimax rt45 tires?? i love my general altimax rt 45 tires.

edit: just saw you got the scorpions. if they're anything like the cinturatos, those were smooth riding on my '16 golf. not the best in snow though (ended up running winter tires on that car, at least for 2 of the winters i had it).

Last edited:

i think this depends on the mavis and which type of store it is (corporate or franchised - i think those are the options). we have a local corporate store here that is very good. a lot of the other local stores are not so good...

Michelin CC2 here, I've had them for a year now. No snow here (South Texas) but I like how they behave on rain. Noisy but safe. Just got back home this evening on a torrential rain and I felt in control at all times. I'd say I was 15-20 miles faster than the other cars on the road, driving slow on the right lane with emergency lights on (why?!) while I was passing them safely on the passing lane. Highly recommend.

Regarding the comments about Mavis Discount Tires - I agree it depends on the management and people they hire. I have been to 2 different Mavis shops in my area. One was very good and the other was terrible.

I’m always going to say continental dsw 06 plus… but that’s my Opinion
I had those Conti's and the DWS concept is pretty cool .... theres a treadwear marker at all three levels letting you know when its no longer good in snow, then wet , then dry and done ! There was a letter on each treadwear marker level - Dry being the last marker and getting close to bald - Its A pretty cool idea ...and the tires were expensive German stuff ..but clearly were a solid investment

I would buy the

NOKIAN TYRES​

ONE​

Had them in my 2020 Mazda3 and once I need new tires for my cx5 I’ll get them.
I had pirelli and I found the Nokian to be just better in all conditions.

I had to switch to Pirelly Scorpion AS 3 as they work better in harsh conditions.
Compared to Toyo A36:
- much better handling in snow / rain
- noise level - they do make noise, it's different compared to A36, and weirdly I can't tell if it's more or less loud, but it's comfortable
- I liked the steering precision of A36, now I get the "underinflated tires" feel (they are inflated properly)

Overall a positive change for me, but if I didn't have to drive in snow I'd stick with the Toyo A36

EDIT: Pirelli is definitely more quiet, can tell by the way engine noise is now much more pronounced

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Sticking with OEM size 225/55/19 for my 2021 Signature. I've decided to opt for Gran Touring All Season as opposed to UHP All Season. The reason is, I find the ride on my CX-5 harsh and jarring. In fact, I took it to the dealer and did a road test and had them do a visual inspection of all the suspension parts (which they did a video of for me) because I thought for sure something was wrong with the struts/shocks or a suspension part given the lack of dampening over pot holes and rough roads. It turns out there is nothing wrong with the suspension at all. It's the stock Toyo A36 tires which are down to 5/32.

I realize ANY other tire would improve the ride quality. However, I assume Ground Touring All Season would improve the ride the most. So my main objective is ride quality, low noise, and decent wet/dry performance for a GT A/S tire. I'm in NorCal so I never drive in snow or freezing temperatures, but I do drive in heavy rain in the winter. Basically I'm trying to achieve a Lexus ride in a CX-5....I know wishful thinking. Here are the 3 tires I have narrowed it down to:

GOODYEAR ASSURANCE COMFORTDRIVE

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2

MICHELIN PRIMACY TOUR A/S

If anyone has had any of these tires and can provide some feedback it would be most appreciated!
Im curious to hear your results -- I cant say as I have only had the stock Toyos on the CX5s and all other tires were on different Mazdas / or other cars ---so not a fair comparison --- I will say an underdog tire that I purchased surprised the heck outta me on my GT3 which were Bridegstone Weatherpeaks-- not a flashy name -- but they were great about $1000 for 4 - plus Firestone has a $140 cash incentive now - just sayin

Back