Does CX-5 always start in AWD?

Good explanation - thanks. Things can get lost in translation sometimes :)

Yeah, the Jeep had an amazing AWD system. It could send 100% of engine torque to any wheel at any time, instantly, and was usually 52/48 split during daily driving, with less than 1mpg penalty to economy. It also had ELSD's and I could lock it in in 4WD low. The AWD system and the HEMI are the only two reasons I bought it.

Agreed - especially about how pointless a test that is although Im not sure about this speed differential protection capability. Where did you get that info from?

The CX-5 AWD suspends power to the rear wheels when the speed differential between the front and rear is too great. This info comes from Mazda N. America Service Info (see last sentence of the image below).

attachment.php

OK, lets just put this into perspective. Neither the CX-3 or the CX-5 are true off roaders. If you want such a vehicle you need a 4WD and not an AWD. The former would have lockable diffs and transfer box.

True. But based on my many years experience off-road with many different systems, there are serious misconceptions about how the various systems perform in various situations. I get tired of repeating myself but old misconceptions die hard.

ECU controlled AWD is far superior to 4WD for driving on slippery ice. On slippery ice the computer controls react in milliseconds and can independently apply individual brakes to instantly increase torque to the wheel(s) that are not slipping. The fact that this does not happen in the Subaru demonstration video until the very end is due entirely to the fact that the driver keeps the speed differential between f/r too high until the finish (which causes the Control Module to suspend power transfer to the rear wheels until the operator reduces the speed of the spinning tires). This protects the electronically controlled AWD clutch pack from over-heating. As soon as the speed of the spinning tires are reduced, the clutch transfers power to the rear wheels. Limited slip differentials are crude compared to an open differential with computer controlled independent braking. LSD's have serious limitations when friction levels approach or exceed the friction levels in the mechanism itself. They simply fail to transfer power as intended when both tires have very low traction (like on melting ice). However, an open differential with computer controlled independent braking can simulate a limited slip differential without the disadvantages inherent with LSD's. Specifically, on slippery ice a LSD if a crude device and friction inherent within the system can cause both tires on the axle to break traction. Computer controlled open differentials are much more sensitive.

Moving on to 4x4 with locking differentials, they are awesome for steep, rugged trails, rock crawling, etc. but are virtually useless for driving on slippery roads where an AWD like the CX-5 will literally drive circles around a vehicle with a locked differential. But AWD neophytes think it is the holy grail of snow/ice performance. They have obviously never driven a vehicle with a locking differentials on an icy road. And 4x4 with locking differential is COMPLETELY USELESS for the common winter conditions of patchy ice on mostly bare pavement. Anyone who has tried to drive a full locker on bare pavement will understand why the lockers must be kept un-locked and the hubs disengaged in this common winter condition. This leaves you with RWD and open differentials!

And yet the fact remains, the CX-5 is capable enough off-road to do any reasonable challenge thrown at it (assuming it is properly operated). This means you don't drive it onto ball bearing rollers and keep the gas pedal mashed. When you feel slip, modulate the throttle to reduce wheel spin. This causes power to transfer to the rear which will drive you forward. It works in reverse too. Any vehicle can get stuck but you would have to be a complete moron to get stuck in an AWD CX-5.

Speaking of morons, this guy in a Jeep Cherokee trying to get out of his parking space has got to take the cake (NSFW warning-strong language!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhwv

Im all for people giving their opinion based on facts or to state if they think its an opinion (none of us know everything) but when you try to convince me that an every day ordinary Jeep SUV has a fully lockable transmission, you can easily make a fool of yourself with such daft comments.

Good point. Not to mention that fully-locking differentials are of very limited use.

Ive sat in engineering meetings with Japanese vehicle builders and they do not consider Jeep as a serious competitor and they certainly dont admire their reliability record.

Unobtanium drove his expensive, gas-guzzling, unreliable Cherokee two or three times in a snow event and now he thinks he's a winter driver, pretty hard to achieve when you live in Arkansas and don't participate in winter sports.

Aye, those guys do not do Mazda any favours by setting up a test that is no more representative than the spivs in the Subaru test. It might convince the more gullible I suppose.

Dave Erickson going through the mud holds much more credence to me, glad Dave.

Yes, always put more faith in real world scenario's like the hill climb video I posted of my CX-5 rather than rigged tests using drivers who are trying to fail.

Yes, as said above both systems are the same ( i-ACTIV AWD )

Both systems have Hill Launch Assist (HLA),DSC (Dynamic Stability Control system: anti-skid mechanism) & TCS (traction control system)

The CX-5 AWD suspends power to the rear wheels when the speed differential between the front and rear is too great. This info comes from Mazda N. America Service Info (see last sentence of the image below).

attachment.php

True. But based on my many years experience off-road with many different systems, there are serious misconceptions about how the various systems perform in various situations. I get tired of repeating myself but old misconceptions die hard.

ECU controlled AWD is far superior to 4WD for driving on slippery ice. On slippery ice the computer controls react in milliseconds and can independently apply individual brakes to instantly increase torque to the wheel(s) that are not slipping. The fact that this does not happen in the Subaru demonstration video until the very end is due entirely to the fact that the driver keeps the speed differential between f/r too high until the finish (which causes the Control Module to suspend power transfer to the rear wheels until the operator reduces the speed of the spinning tires). This protects the electronically controlled AWD clutch pack from over-heating. As soon as the speed of the spinning tires are reduced, the clutch transfers power to the rear wheels. Limited slip differentials are crude compared to an open differential with computer controlled independent braking. LSD's have serious limitations when friction levels approach or exceed the friction levels in the mechanism itself. They simply fail to transfer power as intended when both tires have very low traction (like on melting ice). However, an open differential with computer controlled independent braking can simulate a limited slip differential without the disadvantages inherent with LSD's. Specifically, on slippery ice a LSD if a crude device and friction inherent within the system can cause both tires on the axle to break traction. Computer controlled open differentials are much more sensitive.

Moving on to 4x4 with locking differentials, they are awesome for steep, rugged trails, rock crawling, etc. but are virtually useless for driving on slippery roads where an AWD like the CX-5 will literally drive circles around a vehicle with a locked differential. But AWD neophytes think it is the holy grail of snow/ice performance. They have obviously never driven a vehicle with a locking differentials on an icy road. And 4x4 with locking differential is COMPLETELY USELESS for the common winter conditions of patchy ice on mostly bare pavement. Anyone who has tried to drive a full locker on bare pavement will understand why the lockers must be kept un-locked and the hubs disengaged in this common winter condition. This leaves you with RWD and open differentials!

And yet the fact remains, the CX-5 is capable enough off-road to do any reasonable challenge thrown at it (assuming it is properly operated). This means you don't drive it onto ball bearing rollers and keep the gas pedal mashed. When you feel slip, modulate the throttle to reduce wheel spin. This causes power to transfer to the rear which will drive you forward. It works in reverse too. Any vehicle can get stuck but you would have to be a complete moron to get stuck in an AWD CX-5.

Speaking of morons, this guy in a Jeep Cherokee trying to get out of his parking space has got to take the cake (NSFW warning-strong language!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhwv

Good point. Not to mention that fully-locking differentials are of very limited use.

Unobtanium drove his expensive, gas-guzzling, unreliable Cherokee two or three times in a snow event and now he thinks he's a winter driver, pretty hard to achieve when you live in Arkansas and don't participate in winter sports.

Yes, always put more faith in real world scenario's like the hill climb video I posted of my CX-5 rather than rigged tests using drivers who are trying to fail.

-Gas guzzling? yes, it did use more fuel than the Mazda...but it also used less than the EPA said it would, while my Mazda uses significantly more. The Jeep was more honestly marketed.
-Unreliable? In spades. That's why I now have the Mazda.
-Expensive? I paid the same thing for it as I did my CX-5. I bought a Z06 and a 370Z new, and I'll never buy another new car again. Waste of money. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and moved on.

Think I'm a winter driver? No, but I can tell you the QDII AWD system in the Grand Jeep Cherokee is better than anything Mazda ever has, or likely ever will come out with. It can instantly modulate torque at ANY SINGLE TIRE 100%. That is, it could send all 390# of torque to any ONE tire, instantly. It was amazing to see in action on ice. The model you showed above, who knows what AWD system it has? Jeep has a billion of them it seems. The QD II in 2010 was the best one, IMO. It had lockers ELSD front and rear when placed in 4WD LOW.

Again, as to your guy above, he never should have stopped with that rearward momentum that one time. Just kept on going and gradually accelerating and I bet his troubles would be over.

The CX-5 in that same situation with those tires? Who knows. I do know it wouldn't be able to spin its tires though. not all of them. Only 1 or 2 tires would have had power. Likely, the CX-5 owner with that low of an IQ never would have left the spot, because the CX-5 doesn't have the capability that JEEP had. Notice how all 4 tires are moving? CX-5's aren't built like that...

Maybe this will help you understand that while Snow Tires are optimal, the type of AWD system in a vehicle matters a TON, especially if you live in a place like I do where snow tires are impractical and not the way you deal with winter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYws-l-t0ZQ

The only AWD system Mazda beats out is the half-ass junk Honda and Toyota put in their CUV's, and it doesn't really beat the Toyota, as it can lock it up at low speeds while the Mazda is all open. Point being, if you think the CX-5's AWD system is anywhere near as capable as an ACTUAL AWD system, you're just kidding yourself. The Grand Jeep Cherokee is about as reliable as a politician, but the QDII AWD system in one is the best you're going to find for under $100K, for varying terrain and environment situations.

Last edited:
The CX-5 in that same situation with those tires? Who knows. I do know it wouldn't be able to spin its tires though. not all of them. Only 1 or 2 tires would have had power. Likely, the CX-5 owner with that low of an IQ never would have left the spot, because the CX-5 doesn't have the capability that JEEP had. Notice how all 4 tires are moving? CX-5's aren't built like that...

Wrong again, here's video proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLkvqsQEV2Q

Watch at 0:45 seconds. You will see the CX-5 driving all wheels simultaneously. And that's what makes this a hocus-pocus Subaru commercial. The only reason the Subaru made it and the Mazda didn't is because the Subaru OEM tires had a higher coefficient of friction on wet polyethylene.

Maybe this will help you understand that while Snow Tires are optimal, the type of AWD system in a vehicle matters a TON, especially if you live in a place like I do where snow tires are impractical and not the way you deal with winter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYws-l-t0ZQ

Why do you waste my time with bozos videos? Even the bozos have the same conclusion that I've presented many times; with all season radials even a good AWD does not make a good snow car. But a FWD with snow tires does make a good snow car. But you refuse to believe it. There is no magic AWD system that can fix this fact.

Seriously, I have more snow driving experience than over 99% of humanity - I know what works. Watch the video I provided a link to and explain why all four tires are spinning identically. Please provide a detailed answer because I'm getting tired of the know-it-all with almost zero snow driving experience.

Got rid of your aftermarket wheels?

No, I keep the lighter wheels for my winter tires. The lightness is more important to winter driving dynamics. When the tires break traction on a low friction surface lighter wheels are noticeably quicker to regain traction due to the fact that they have so much less rotational inertia.

The only AWD system Mazda beats out is the half-ass junk Honda and Toyota put in their CUV's, and it doesn't really beat the Toyota, as it can lock it up at low speeds while the Mazda is all open. Point being, if you think the CX-5's AWD system is anywhere near as capable as an ACTUAL AWD system, you're just kidding yourself. The Grand Jeep Cherokee is about as reliable as a politician, but the QDII AWD system in one is the best you're going to find for under $100K, for varying terrain and environment situations.

For a start, the RAV4 has the identical drive unit as the Mazda.

Secondly, the Mazda could in theory put all the drive through one wheel if it detected a speed output from the other three - it would lock up the drive unit if it were a rear and apply brake pressure to the spinning wheels which would in effect do what you are suggesting the Jeep does. In practice it might manifest itself as a lot of whirring of ABS pump and indexing of the wheels much like any of the videos. If I understand you to say that the Jeep can provide a locked up mechanical path from the engine to any one wheel then you are talking out of your hat. Think about what you are saying - it would need a set of sliding dog gears with instant actuation on each side of the front axle, each side of the rear axle and the transfer box. I'm not aware of it on a military vehicle let alone a volume soft roader

Listen to Mike above. The Jeep stuck in the snow is down to tires and not the numb drivers inability to handle his disribution of torque by lots of 100% to one wheel. I don't know what has given you this notion about Jeeps but it's all marketing BS.

http://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA

No, I keep the lighter wheels for my winter tires. The lightness is more important to winter driving dynamics. When the tires break traction on a low friction surface lighter wheels are noticeably quicker to regain traction due to the fact that they have so much less rotational inertia.

2545894455_Facebook_thumbs_up_answer_1_small.jpeg

For a start, the RAV4 has the identical drive unit as the Mazda.
So where is my diff locker? Can you show me that, please?

Secondly, the Mazda could in theory put all the drive through one wheel if it detected a speed output from the other three - it would lock up the drive unit if it were a rear and apply brake pressure to the spinning wheels which would in effect do what you are suggesting the Jeep does. not really. The jeep applies power...not just brakes...to any one tire or combo thereof. The Mazda cannot compare. In practice it might manifest itself as a lot of whirring of ABS pump and indexing of the wheels much like any of the videos. If I understand you to say that the Jeep can provide a locked up mechanical path from the engine to any one wheel then you are talking out of your hat. Think about what you are saying - it would need a set of sliding dog gears with instant actuation on each side of the front axle, each side of the rear axle and the transfer box. I'm not aware of it on a military vehicle let alone a volume soft roader

Listen to Mike above. The Jeep stuck in the snow is down to tires and not the numb drivers inability to handle his disribution of torque by lots of 100% to one wheel. I don't know what has given you this notion about Jeeps but it's all marketing BS.

http://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA

Never said a car without snow tires was best for snow, but you and Mike seem obsessed with it?

Anyway, no, the Jeep QD2 system is about the best AWD system there is under 100K for inclement weather.

Never said a car without snow tires was best for snow, but you and Mike seem obsessed with it?

Anyway, no, the Jeep QD2 system is about the best AWD system there is under 100K for inclement weather.

Fair enough buddy ;-). You know what? You've just about convinced me now.

Oops, just read your questions. Bear with me and I'll show you what I mean.

This is the system on the RAV4 Compare them with the pdfs earlier in this thread and you will see they are the same.

The only exception is that the RAV has a lock switch and all that does is lock up the drive unit until 25mph where it drops out to save wear on the transmission and tires.

Your CX5 does not have a diff locker, it locks the wheels by applying brake pressure to each side wheel as required. It has exactly the same effect in that the torque is applied to the wheel with the best grip on the road. The Jeep as Ive discovered since talking to you has a multi plate diff lock which can lock up all the axle but it cant completely transfer all the drive to one wheel. This is a picture I found;

eaton_elsd_01_zpstzqqdrrf.jpg

.....and this is the explanation;

Quadra-Drive II

The Quadra-Drive II Jeep 4 x 4 system offers owners the ultimate in off-road capability. It combines the NV245 full-time transfer case with Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) for best-in-class tractive performance. The system instantly detects tire slip and smoothly distributes engine torque to the tires with traction. In some cases, the vehicle will even anticipate low traction and adjust to proactively limit or eliminate slip

The heart of the system is the NV245 active transfer case. This transfer case includes a center differential coupled with an electronically controlled clutch pack, varying it from a completely open state to completely locked, and infinite possibilities in between. The 4-Low gear ratio is 2.72:1.

Quadra-Drive II features an electronic shift mechanism with a unique engagement lever. The lever is conveniently located on the shift console. Pulling the lever up engages 4-Low. The lever returns to a resting position after activation. The transfer case also includes a neutral position for trouble-free towing vehicles, such as behind a motor home.

A key component in the Quadra-Drive II system is the ELSD an industry first application and the new benchmark for automatic traction differentials. The ELSD use electronically controlled clutch packs to automatically and instantly vary from slip to lock at each axle. This maximizes traction when needed without any of the on-road drawbacks normally associated with such a robust 4 x 4 system.

All components of the system work together, continually monitoring needs, to provide smooth and automatic application of the components for best-in-class tractive performance while improving the day-to-day on-road driving experience. For example, the ELSD releases the clutch packs in the front axle during turns to allow differentiation and prevent crow hop.

So now if we compare;

Both the CX5 and the jeep have an always engaged transfer box.

The Jeep uses a cross axle multi plate clutch to lock up both sides of the axle/The CX5 uses the brakes to lock the spinning wheel and transfer drive to the gripping wheel.

The Jeep COULD unlock the diff and transfer drive to one wheel but ONLY by using the ABS pump to apply the brake on the opposite side/The CX5 can do exactly the same thing as the diff is never locked

Right! Now onto this snow tire thing. In the video, Mr Angry gets out of his car at one point and in his temper he leaves the car in drive with the handbrake off. While he is out of the car you can see the wheels at the front and back turning. The fact that he is stuck is nothing to do with his obvious incompetence, it is because the tires are not getting grip in the snow. The difference between normal all season tires and winter tires in the snow is not insignificant, it is night and day. They are unbelievably different and the only way you would ever be convinced is to try them.

I hope this answers your questions.

This is the system on the RAV4 Compare them with the pdf’s earlier in this thread and you will see they are the same.

The only exception is that the RAV has a lock switch and all that does is lock up the drive unit until 25mph where it drops out to save wear on the transmission and tires.

Your CX5 does not have a diff locker, it locks the wheels by applying brake pressure to each side wheel as required. It has exactly the same effect in that the torque is applied to the wheel with the best grip on the road. The Jeep as I’ve discovered since talking to you has a multi plate diff lock which can lock up all the axle but it can’t completely transfer all the drive to one wheel. This is a picture I found;

eaton_elsd_01_zpstzqqdrrf.jpg

.....and this is the explanation;

Quadra-Drive II

The Quadra-Drive II Jeep 4 x 4 system offers owners the ultimate in off-road capability. It combines the NV245 full-time transfer case with Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) for best-in-class tractive performance. The system instantly detects tire slip and smoothly distributes engine torque to the tires with traction. In some cases, the vehicle will even anticipate low traction and adjust to proactively limit or eliminate slip

The heart of the system is the NV245 active transfer case. This transfer case includes a center differential coupled with an electronically controlled clutch pack, varying it from a completely open state to completely locked, and infinite possibilities in between. The 4-Low gear ratio is 2.72:1.

Quadra-Drive II features an electronic shift mechanism with a unique engagement lever. The lever is conveniently located on the shift console. Pulling the lever up engages 4-Low. The lever returns to a resting position after activation. The transfer case also includes a neutral position for trouble-free towing vehicles, such as behind a motor home.

A key component in the Quadra-Drive II system is the ELSD – an industry first application – and the new benchmark for automatic traction differentials. The ELSD use electronically controlled clutch packs to automatically and instantly vary from slip to lock at each axle. This maximizes traction when needed without any of the on-road drawbacks normally associated with such a robust 4 x 4 system.

All components of the system work together, continually monitoring needs, to provide smooth and automatic application of the components for best-in-class tractive performance while improving the day-to-day on-road driving experience. For example, the ELSD releases the clutch packs in the front axle during turns to allow differentiation and prevent crow hop.

So now if we compare;

Both the CX5 and the jeep have an “always engaged” transfer box.

The Jeep uses a cross axle multi plate clutch to lock up both sides of the axle/The CX5 uses the brakes to lock the spinning wheel and transfer drive to the gripping wheel.

The Jeep COULD unlock the diff and transfer drive to one wheel but ONLY by using the ABS pump to apply the brake on the opposite side/The CX5 can do exactly the same thing as the diff is never locked

Right! Now onto this snow tire thing. In the video, Mr Angry gets out of his car at one point and in his temper he leaves the car in drive with the handbrake off. While he is out of the car you can see the wheels at the front and back turning. The fact that he is stuck is nothing to do with his obvious incompetence, it is because the tires are not getting grip in the snow. The difference between normal all season tires and winter tires in the snow is not insignificant, it is night and day. They are unbelievably different and the only way you would ever be convinced is to try them.

I hope this answers your questions.

Never said snow tires aren't number one. Just saying that the CX-5's AWD system is a big step down IMO

Back