Do You Love Your Mazda? Ditch That 0W-20 Oil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In light of very recent events, I will never ever be putting 0w-20 into my engine again.......

CHris, if you don't mind, can you please elaborate ? I respect your opinions and you're a great contributor to this forum,

just curious to know why you think 0W-20 is bad for the CX-5, thanks.

Wow... just shaking my head while reading through all the new posts in the thread.

So- I'm an engineer. 90% of the assumptions in this thread are total BS. I guess I should call one of my buddies up in Ford powertrain engineering (lots of shared tech still in the recent Mazda/Ford pre-SkyCraptiv engines) and ask him about oil viscosity. Geez.

CHris, if you don't mind, can you please elaborate ? I respect your opinions and you're a great contributor to this forum,

it was already discussed. if you are an aggressive driver and live in a hot climate, 5w30 will be better for you.

if you plan to keep the car for a long time, you want 5w30.

Wow... just shaking my head while reading through all the new posts in the thread.

So- I'm an engineer. 90% of the assumptions in this thread are total BS. I guess I should call one of my buddies up in Ford powertrain engineering (lots of shared tech still in the recent Mazda/Ford pre-SkyCraptiv engines) and ask him about oil viscosity. Geez.

5w30 is not out of the range of approved oil weights. i'm not sure how you categorize that as BS.

would you mind elaborating what is wrong with the skyactiv motors? they are well engineered and i think the new motors are actually quite great. are you hating on it simply because you dont own one?

Mazda engineered these motors. ford owns rights to manufacture them. Mazda recommended 5w30 everywhere else in the world, so there is your answer.

Not bad for the cx-5 per say, but not a good mix for my driving style. High wear on the 20w and faster oil burn because of my constant high rpm and engine load + triple digit..

12h6Qos.jpg

Not bad for the cx-5 per say, but not a good mix for my driving style. High wear on the 20w and faster oil burn because of my constant high rpm and engine load + triple digit..

12h6Qos.jpg
What is it in the picture? Oil cooler sealer???

I remember you use Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil for your previous engine. Did the engine failure have something to do with 0W-20 oil? I remember you felt Mazda Moly oil is a good oil after you inspected the wear of your previous engine?

(nobody)

You first made a s*** POST about how a lot of Fords uses "Mazda" engines because of some absurd bulls*** like "engine bay design" and "it's derived from this engine because the bore and stroke are the same"... after that bad thread was well killed by simple evidence, without going in depth why you are full of s***, you continued to have insomnia and dreamed up a new way to tout your non-existent "expertise"?

If you even read the posts on the BITOG forums, you wouldn't be even s*** talking about the Idemitsu made Mazda 0W20 w/Moly (NOT SOLD IN CANADA)... but you don't because your ears are clearly a better instrument than spectrometers and other laboratory equipment (rolleyes)

(trolls)

Data is what I want to see!!!!!!!!!!!. ow20 and 5w30 synthetic. All other verbalization is guessing or worse. Ed

Hey I thought this was the beer thread...maine mo pints on tap @5.99 life is good b&b!!

What is it in the picture? Oil cooler sealer???

I remember you use Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil for your previous engine. Did the engine failure have something to do with 0W-20 oil? I remember you felt Mazda Moly oil is a good oil after you inspected the wear of your previous engine?

That's a con rod bearing. Less than 4000 miles from the last oil change with oem Oil (0w-20), oem filter oil level right around 4.5 qt (drained). It happened within 1 minute of the car being started and moved. Luckily I heard it and was only about 1 mi from home. If the rain lets up enough I'll be changing whatever bearing is affected. I noticed it right away so hopefully I can get away with this.

Last edited:
That's a con rod bearing. less than 4000 miles, oem Oil (0w-20), oem filter oil level right around 4.5 qt (drained) and a whire to knock on Friday after starting the car when leaving a taco joint at night. If the rain lets up enough I'll be changing whatever bearing is affected. I noticed it right away so hopefully I can get away with this.
Can you say this again in English please.

Hey I thought this was the beer thread...maine mo pints on tap @5.99 life is good b&b!!

Actually pretty shocked...mo on ba rated 95..peeper 91, lunch 96, another one 95, dinner 100!! Guess i need to seek that out..but mo on tap..#1fan table next to us drinking miller light was almost offensive!! Hope all our Texans are weathering the storm safe and sound...

Last edited:
That's a con rod bearing. Less than 4000 miles from the last oil change with oem Oil (0w-20), oem filter oil level right around 4.5 qt (drained). It happened within 1 minute of the car being started and moved. Luckily I heard it and was only about 1 mi from home. If the rain lets up enough I'll be changing whatever bearing is affected. I noticed it right away so hopefully I can get away with this.

I knew what the photo was, I've seen 1000s and thanks for straightening the post out but still not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that a bearing got damaged as a result of using the genuine oil and you heard it happen? Please elaborate on what happened and why you suspect the oil.

QUOTE: You have a water cooled engine. Once warmed up, it runs at the same operating temperature on a cold winter day as it does on a hot summer day. 0W-30 motor oil and 5W-30 motor oil have the same viscosity in an engine that is up to normal operating temperature. The difference is in the cold viscosity. The 5W-30 oil will be more viscous when cold, which is of no benefit in hot weather but is a liability in cold weather.

I live in an extreme climate zone where winter temps get down to minus 20deg C while summers get plus 30s C and have been using fully synthetic 5W 30 castrol oil and never had any issues in turbo charged engines including my current 2.5L T Skyactive 4cyl so not really a liability during winter! The 5W is rated for minus 20deg C temps! Sure the 0W20 maybe a bit better in winter but may not be as much better in summer than the 5W30 and vice versa. I think the 5W30 is sufficient enough and that's also the recommended oil spec by OEM on both my current and previous vehicles.

Last edited:
QUOTE: You have a water cooled engine. Once warmed up, it runs at the same operating temperature on a cold winter day as it does on a hot summer day. 0W-30 motor oil and 5W-30 motor oil have the same viscosity in an engine that is up to normal operating temperature. The difference is in the cold viscosity. The 5W-30 oil will be more viscous when cold, which is of no benefit in hot weather but is a liability in cold weather.

I live in an extreme climate zone where winter temps get down to minus 20deg C while summers get plus 30s C and have been using fully synthetic 5W 30 castrol oil and never had any issues in turbo charged engines including my current 2.5L T Skyactive 4cyl so not really a liability during winter! The 5W is rated for minus 20deg C temps! Sure the 0W20 maybe a bit better in winter but may not be as much better in summer than the 5W30 and vice versa. I think the 5W30 is sufficient enough and that's also the recommended oil spec by OEM on both my current and previous vehicles.

hmm.... interesting new CX-9 4 cylinder turbo uses 5w30 even in Canada, thanks for info, what's up with the Royal Purple 5w30 ?
is it good oil, it's always sold out at my local auto stores..... Mobil 1 is always in stock..... I guess no one likes Mobil 1.......:)

GJ, I get the logic in the fact that 5w30 is acceptable in other countries, and in fact in the manual for the CX-5 in those countries.

What I don't get is that you keep telling people to Google it, find it on other forums, etc.

Where are your oil analysis reports comparing the 2 different oils? Where is the other legitimate testing? Is there a control for how you're testing with regards to the new oils, sound being measured, and driving style between the 2 oils being the same?

You have posted no data, no legitimate analysis, and have told everyone to Google it themselves. Your entire claim rests with "it sounds better".

Just listening to the engine with the new oil vs the old oil doesn't constitute testing and analysis data. So why are you surprised that everyone is questioning it?

As for beer, I'm not a fan of IPAs but give me a good stout or porter any day ;)

Last edited:
I knew what the photo was, I've seen 1000s and thanks for straightening the post out but still not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that a bearing got damaged as a result of using the genuine oil and you heard it happen? Please elaborate on what happened and why you suspect the oil.

Hot weather + 0w20 + aggressive driving = dead bearing its really simple.

Well there you go. So 0w20 is useless, essentially for fuel economy and nothing else. I use 5w30 in cold weather and never had any issues.

0w30 and 5w30 being the same at operating temp is a load of s***. Thats just not true.

hmm.... interesting new CX-9 4 cylinder turbo uses 5w30 even in Canada, thanks for info, what's up with the Royal Purple 5w30 ?
is it good oil, it's always sold out at my local auto stores..... Mobil 1 is always in stock..... I guess no one likes Mobil 1.......:)

Royal purple is s*** oil, do not use it. As soon as you hear less resistance for better efficiency and higher performance you know its garbage .

GJ, I get the logic in the fact that 5w30 is acceptable in other countries, and in fact in the manual for the CX-5 in those countries.

What I don't get is that you keep telling people to Google it, find it on other forums, etc.

Where are your oil analysis reports comparing the 2 different oils? Where is the other legitimate testing? Is there a control for how you're testing with regards to the new oils, sound being measured, and driving style between the 2 oils being the same?

You have posted no data, no legitimate analysis, and have told everyone to Google it themselves. Your entire claim rests with "it sounds better".

Just listening to the engine with the new oil vs the old oil doesn't constitute testing and analysis data. So why are you surprised that everyone is questioning it?

As for beer, I'm not a fan of IPAs but give me a good stout or porter any day ;)

Refer your very first phrase. No one needs to do research or anything because Mazda specifies its okay. All you people need to do is try 5w30 and note the difference yourselves :)

4 hrs in and on my 3rd set of dry clothes im ready to put the pan back on.

Connecting Rod Bearing

4 hrs in and on my 3rd set of dry clothes im ready to put the pan back on.
This Hurricane Harvey making landfall in Texas as Category 4 really did some damage to many areas! I thought you have a garage and wouldn't get wet while doing your engine work. Do you need replacing both upper and lower shells on connecting rod for all cylinders? How many and which connecting rod bearings got damaged?

This's your 2nd time having a major engine problem. Do you mind to elaborate and summarize your experience and opinions on issues creating or using your old thread and post some pictures of the damage from both incidents as many new members here don't know your first one. Is it really just caused by your driving style or is the 0W-20 oil an issue?

I'll drink an IPA if someone gives me one but good dark stouts are what I indulge in these days. (thinkbeer

I'm getting old and cranky and sticking with with my Mazda 0W-20 :)

EDIT...just got done dropping about 8.5 quarts of Amsoil 0W-20 in my GX a few weeks back. Toyota/Lexus allows for 10k mile changes with 0W-20 but if one even drops to 5W-20 they say no more than 5K miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back