DIY Engine oil change and Manufacturer Warranty

This is true. There's enough clearance under the car to get the job done. Unless you're a really big person that is. I mentioned that I use ramps when I do this work, they're homemade ramps (made with scrap 2x10's) and have three steps. I only put the CX on the first step which is only 1.5" high. This is just enough to make that extra bit of room that makes is easier to maneuver under the car.

When I change oil in my MX I have to put the car on the top step.
Interesting. I've had ramps, but never found a good use for them. I think I got rid of them, not worth fishing out. But I do have a scrap piece of 2x10, and I'm due for an oil change in the next few weeks.

Perhaps I'll just drive up on one thickness on the passenger front tire and see if its more comfortable that way.

This is true. There's enough clearance under the car to get the job done. Unless you're a really big person that is. I mentioned that I use ramps when I do this work, they're homemade ramps (made with scrap 2x10's) and have three steps. I only put the CX on the first step which is only 1.5" high. This is just enough to make that extra bit of room that makes is easier to maneuver under the car.

When I change oil in my MX I have to put the car on the top step.
Many people say they don’t need to raise the CX-5 for the oil change. I tried it the first time when I changed the oil on the CX-5, I almost had to scratch my face to reach the oil change panel which is so deep. I couldn’t even turn my head underneath there. Don’t want to do that any more so I alway borrow a pair of self-made wood ramps from Conrad 16.5 each time I change the oil on my CX-5. 😙

462FA3B2-2287-4B9A-97FE-352693AEEF0C.jpeg

If you are on the fence about DIYing the oil, I'd recommend buying a Fumoto valve (google it) and installing it - this reduces the time screwing around with the drain plug to zero. You can get one with a drain tube that you can guide into the container you are using which reduces the chance of spilling anything.

I can reach under my cars to open the valve, empty the oil, swap filters, then close the value without any tools (unless the filter is being troublesome). This makes changing the oil very easy.
I don’t use Fumoto valve because I really don’t feel it can save me too much time doing the oil change for one because of its slow flow rate. And I have seen the picture of removed oil pan from a CX-5 and saw how much thread part of the valve will intrude upward into the pan. This definitely will keep plenty of old oil in the pan and can’t be drained out, including metal shavings if any.

Many people say they don’t need to raise the CX-5 for the oil change. I tried it the first time when I changed the oil on the CX-5, I almost had to scratch my face to reach the oil change panel which is so deep. I couldn’t even turn my head underneath there. Don’t want to do that any more so I alway borrow a pair of self-made wood ramps from Conrad 16.5 each time I change the oil on my CX-5. 😙

View attachment 314899
:)

Close, very close! Except that I have three steps.

Interesting. I've had ramps, but never found a good use for them. I think I got rid of them, not worth fishing out. But I do have a scrap piece of 2x10, and I'm due for an oil change in the next few weeks.

Perhaps I'll just drive up on one thickness on the passenger front tire and see if its more comfortable that way.

For that matter you could place a scrap in front of all four tires, drive up, and keep the car level, plus give yourself a bit more room.

As much as I tend to agree with you, you miss out the parts I hate:
  1. Wiping/cleaning up hands & arms from spurting oil when removing the drain plug (and/or from rooting around in the oil pan to find the drain plug you dropped)
  2. Wiping/cleaning up spilt oil from the ground and/or newspapers used to catch the spill when draining
  3. Trying to drain the full oil catch pan into old oil or milk containers without spilling any (then back to #2)
  4. Cleaning the catch pan from remaining oil and funnels used in #3.
  5. Driving 20mins (and back) to the local disposal and then emptying oil into bulk containers (then back to cleaning as #1).
Ugh. I really HATE those parts.
I can do an oil change on any of my vehicles without getting dirty. It’s all about thinking 2 steps ahead.

Taking the drain plug off? Just finish it with 1 finger and let it sink into the pan, it takes literally 30 seconds to wipe it down and clean it up.

Removing the oil filter? Once it’s loose, use a red solo cup to finish unscrewing it and you catch all the oil inside the cup along with the filter.

Taking the oil back? I just store it in my garage and by the time I have 15 qts I take it all in 1 trip. ( I pour it all back into the 5qt jugs)

Don’t want to clean the floor? Easy put a giant piece of cardboard down. Usually I either have one from Amazon packages or from Costco.

Going to the dealer and wasting time sucks. I’ll grab the $40 savings and take the wife out to a nice dinner.

Forgot to add, I grab the drain plug out of the pan while using disposable gloves after the drain process is complete, then I just toss them out and slap on a fresh set.

Last edited:
I can do an oil change on any of my vehicles without getting dirty. It’s all about thinking 2 steps ahead.

Taking the drain plug off? Just finish it with 1 finger and let it sink into the pan, it takes literally 30 seconds to wipe it down and clean it up.

Removing the oil filter? Once it’s loose, use a red solo cup to finish unscrewing it and you catch all the oil inside the cup along with the filter.

Taking the oil back? I just store it in my garage and by the time I have 15 qts I take it all in 1 trip. ( I pour it all back into the 5qt jugs)

Don’t want to clean the floor? Easy put a giant piece of cardboard down. Usually I either have one from Amazon packages or from Costco.

Going to the dealer and wasting time sucks. I’ll grab the $40 savings and take the wife out to a nice dinner.
Red solo cup- great idea!!

Red solo cup- great idea!!
Learned it at work from an old timer while changing 737 hydraulic filters. Skydrol hydraulic fluid STINKS and stays on your clothes for an eternity. Only took 1 ruined shirt for me to be extra careful with any fluid.

If it’s not snug enough, just trim the cup with some shears.

One other thing that you can do to help with cleaning your hands after a job like this. If you don't want to wear gloves, coat your hands with some sort of hand lotion or skin softener before you start the job. The lotion fills the pores of your skin and makes clean-up easier.

How long are people going on oil changes? dealer says 5k, but that seems really short for synthetic. I set my minder to flexible and 7500 miles. Carries me just under a year for a change. I changed the oil for the first time the other day. Oil was black as it normally Is when you change oil. 4.2quarts were drained, but I have no idea what dealer previously put in so wont know until next change what it’s burning.

While under warranty I will follow the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual. For Canada its 8,000 km or 6 months. Once the warranty expires I will likely revert to 8,000 km or 12 months.

How long are people going on oil changes? dealer says 5k, but that seems really short for synthetic. I set my minder to flexible and 7500 miles. Carries me just under a year for a change. I changed the oil for the first time the other day. Oil was black as it normally Is when you change oil. 4.2quarts were drained, but I have no idea what dealer previously put in so wont know until next change what it’s burning.
Oil is cheap. Engines aren't.

I have my system set for flex and also fixed for 7500 miles. It really doesn't matter in my situation since I don't drive enough miles throughout the year to make that mark. I'm retired and have several vehicles in the garage, including a motorcycle, that NEED to be driven/rode. The CX gets the most use but it's still not enough to reach 7500. So, it's once a year for the oil changes for all of them.

Last edited:
Back