Deep water?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I was looking at the Trans-axel and rear differential views of my 2021 GTR. I see no vents valves to protect against pressure buildup and water ingress. I ask because I was trying to determine how deep of water I can drive through slowly and not ingest water. I drove through water in my CX5 touring up to the door seals without issues many times. I wonder if my 2021 can do the same. Possibly a better diagram of the differential would show more detail. Ed

I was looking at the Trans-axel and rear differential views of my 2021 GTR. I see no vents valves to protect against pressure buildup and water ingress. I ask because I was trying to determine how deep of water I can drive through slowly and not ingest water. I drove through water in my CX5 touring up to the door seals without issues many times. I wonder if my 2021 can do the same. Possibly a better diagram of the differential would show more detail. Ed
I thought there is a breather tube that rises a couple feet vertically to prevent water ingress in any normally traversable deep water.

I’m not sure how deep it was, but Unobtanium accidentally flooded his rear differential on his CX-5 (the one before his turbo). I think I remember him saying it wasn’t that deep. Water running across end of the driveway, not up to the door seals? Here is one of his posts. He says 10-12” is enough to flood it:

The manual says to change the gear oil if the rear differential is submerged.

Last edited:
Why in the world would someone drive in water up to their door seals is beyond me. Looking for trouble and no offense but just plan dumb. G-d help the person who buys that junk when you're done destroying it.

I’m not sure how deep it was, but Unobtanium accidentally flooded his rear differential on his CX-5 (the one before his turbo). I think I remember him saying it wasn’t that deep. Water running across end of the driveway, not up to the door seals? Here is one of his posts. He says 10-12” is enough to flood it:

The manual says to change the gear oil if the rear differential is submerged.
I think the water came in through the shaft seals on the differential .

Why in the world would someone drive in water up to their door seals is beyond me. Looking for trouble and no offense but just plan dumb. G-d help the person who buys that junk when you're done destroying it.
Sometimes you don't have a choice. A few years ago we had some terrific flooding with some storms. I drive 27 miles to work and have to go over a few bridges to get there. No way around it. Well, the roads were so flooded that all of the bridges were washed over with water. Had to drive through water up to my front bumper to get home. The flooding didn't recede until the next morning. Luckily, there were no problems because of me driving through such deep water.

That was my situation madar. The two intersections one block from my home had maybe 6-10 inch's of water running across the road. Typically happens two ot three times a year. Never an issue with my FWD MAZDA but, was curious about the rear diff in my AWD. Ed

Latest posts

Back