Dashhawk

Hypnotized

:
03.5 MS Protege-Gone 07 MS3
I was just doing a little reading online and found this unit called the dashhawk by MSD that plugs into your diagnostic port and provides a number of readouts. Im wandering if it would work on our car and if it provides boost and a/f readings. Does anyone know? This looks like a pretty sweet unit. Im sure you would never nead any other gauges.

How about the scangauge unit? This looks to support boost readings. Has anyone tried these units out?? I would much rather have one of these units rather than installing boost gauges, a/f gauge etc. Plus you can clear codes. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a rough estimate from it. On the gauge the MAP does show up. And to calculate boost you would take what ever the map is reading and subtract 14.7(atmospheric pressure) and that would be the boost reading. Only is a rough estimate though. Not totally accurate.

Back to the Dashhawk.
A question regarding using this with a boost cut defender.
Does the car's computer know the "real" boost level but just can't do anything to change it, or does it "think" the boost is lower than it really is?
Bottom line is do devices like these that monitor the car through the OBD port get good data from the car when mods like a boost cut defender are installed? Can it be trusted?

I was just doing a little reading online and found this unit called the dashhawk by MSD that plugs into your diagnostic port and provides a number of readouts. Im wandering if it would work on our car and if it provides boost and a/f readings. Does anyone know? This looks like a pretty sweet unit. Im sure you would never nead any other gauges.

The Dashhawk is amazing. It will capture pretty much anything you want and the software that comes with it will let you graph it all out.

It will do both Boost and AFR. When I did my dyno the AFR on the DH was right on with the WideBand AFR in the tailpipe from the Dyno. The numbers were identical.

You can also run datalogs and clear CEL's with it.

You can get a rough estimate from it. On the gauge the MAP does show up. And to calculate boost you would take what ever the map is reading and subtract 14.7(atmospheric pressure) and that would be the boost reading. Only is a rough estimate though. Not totally accurate.

You don't need to do this on the DH. The new beta software does the AFR conversion for you and shows you in realtime what your AFR is.

Last edited:
Back to the Dashhawk.
A question regarding using this with a boost cut defender.
Does the car's computer know the "real" boost level but just can't do anything to change it, or does it "think" the boost is lower than it really is?
Bottom line is do devices like these that monitor the car through the OBD port get good data from the car when mods like a boost cut defender are installed? Can it be trusted?

This is a good question and I will be able to answer it soon. I have an MBC coming tomorrow and an ATP BCD coming as well. I hope to be able to tune using the DashHawk vice my Boost Gauge as the DashHawk shows what the ECU sees and should be more accurate. However, as with you, I'm worried the BCD will make the ECU show false information.

What I plan to do is compare the BG with the DH and test this once I get the BCD in place.

dash hawk is good but it will only show what the computer sees so your BCD and any other piggyback systems like safec2 or any thing that changes the readings the computer sees so as to fool the computer wont be acurate

I have been looking at this thing for some time now. Just havent bought it yet. If it reads boost in PSI and its accurate then I may make the purchase. there hasnt been many people talking about it and to me it seems like a pretty decent product.

Well its almost $300 so kinda spendy, but for what it does it rocks. The software is cool. You can also do 0-60 runs, 1/4 Runs, HP Estimator and such. It just does a lot and you can datalog everything.

As a side bonus, it works an any car 1998 (I think) and above, so you can move it really easy from car to car. I put it in the RX8 from time to time to check on MPG.

its good and the data log is good im running 2.3 i upgraded from 2.03 a couple weeks ago so i havnt got into it to far. 2.4 beata is where they have A/F ratio it is released but still in testing 2.3 still reads in lamba. there are a lot of nice features on it. you can set up you in car displays on your computer get some great graphs from data logs and set up staged alerts. you can color match the display or chose any color combo you like. i had to make a bracket to mount mine to the window with a suction cup, i didnt want sticky tabe on my dash.

here is how i have mine mounted http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123686448&page=3

Last edited:
No problems running the dash hawk in the Speed3, then? The website doesn't list it as one of the supported vehicles, but I guess it's basically the same as the Speed6...

This is a good question and I will be able to answer it soon. I have an MBC coming tomorrow and an ATP BCD coming as well. I hope to be able to tune using the DashHawk vice my Boost Gauge as the DashHawk shows what the ECU sees and should be more accurate. However, as with you, I'm worried the BCD will make the ECU show false information.

What I plan to do is compare the BG with the DH and test this once I get the BCD in place.

The DH will not be able to read the actual boost if you install a BCD. Since the BCD bleeds boost from the MAP sensor at pressures greater than 15.6 psi, that is the max the ECU can read. Since the DH reads the Boost from the ECU which reads it from the MAP sensor, it will be off as well.

Thats why I've been putting off getting a boost controller or standback. If COBB ever releases its AP, then there will be no need to electrically or mechanical trim the MAP values and the DH will read boost just fine.

And the DH is an AMAZING little device. I absolutely love it! :)

Back