damage from 30k oil-change interval?

Ok wait now that I’ve read into this I would say there is nothing surprising in that study. It’s been a long time since any auto maker has recommended 3k oil changes. 10k and 15k are not uncommon. Mazda at 7500 is definitely on the short side. So far ours doesn’t appear to consume much as I never needed to add in the first interval. Should probably check soon as I have about 1000 on the 2nd.

Edit: actually Mazda is probably right on with 7500 as at least in my case this engine doesn’t appear to consume much oil.

Last edited:
Ok wait now that I’ve read into this I would say there is nothing surprising in that study. It’s been a long time since any auto maker has recommended 3k oil changes. 10k and 15k are not uncommon. Mazda at 7500 is definitely on the short side. So far ours doesn’t appear to consume much as I never needed to add in the first interval. Should probably check soon as I have about 1000 on the 2nd.

Edit: actually Mazda is probably right on with 7500 as at least in my case this engine doesn’t appear to consume much oil.

7500 seems fine. I personally wouldn't go much more than that on mine. I do still usually keep to 5k oil change intervals.

I would go by the manufacturer oil change intervals, at least while the power-train warranty is still in effect

I'm not sure about that because all the people I know who lease have an "I don't care it's a lease" attitude towards how they take care of it. That being said if you're looking at cars around 3 years old you'll probably be mostly seeing lease returns as people who finance *usually* keep it longer. I mean if you're only keeping it 3 years it really does make more sense to lease.

Really? But aren't you required to do things such as service it on time? ie Oil changes? Isn't that even included with most leased vehicles? I've never leased so I don't know a lot about it.

Really? But aren't you required to do things such as service it on time? ie Oil changes? Isn't that even included with most leased vehicles? I've never leased so I don't know a lot about it.

How do they enforce that though? All they can do is fine you on turn in.

And I’m not saying everyone who leases does 0 maintenance. Just that there probably aren’t two s**** given and it’s unlikely they’ll do anything beyond bare minimum. I mean if I was leasing I probably wouldn’t care that much either as it’s unlikely my not caring will result in a problem in 3 years. That means go ahead and get on it right after a cold start. Go ahead and use that convenient gas station car wash etc.

Last edited:

And Im not saying everyone who leases does 0 maintenance. Just that there probably arent two s**** given and its unlikely theyll do anything beyond bare minimum. I mean if I was leasing I probably wouldnt care that much either as its unlikely my not caring will result in a problem in 3 years. That means go ahead and get on it right after a cold start. Go ahead and use that convenient gas station car wash etc.

I see your point. I'm not so sure most normal people "get on it" right after a cold start lolol it's hilarious imagining a burn-out leaving my neighborhood in the morning for work in a CX-5 (burnout). Gas station car wash shouldn't bother anyone if they're inspecting the vehicle before purchase. Either they're okay with how it looks or not. (I do realize you were just giving examples ;))

I might just take better care of cars in general compared to others. Regardless, I believe you can usually get a general feel about a vehicle and how well it was taken care of by inspection - either by self or professional.

And I’m not saying everyone who leases does 0 maintenance. Just that there probably aren’t two s**** given and it’s unlikely they’ll do anything beyond bare minimum. I mean if I was leasing I probably wouldn’t care that much either as it’s unlikely my not caring will result in a problem in 3 years. That means go ahead and get on it right after a cold start. Go ahead and use that convenient gas station car wash etc.

My car was a rental. 81K miles and apparently less issues than most people on this forum who obsess over some things (I don't count the rear diff dying, as that's due to me crossing a stream that was a little to deep and ingesting water, apparently, into the diff.)

I believe that you’re supposed to change the fluid immediately of it gets submerged on the rear diff.

I think rental companies are usually pretty good about doing the maintenance.

I believe that you’re supposed to change the fluid immediately of it gets submerged on the rear diff.

I think rental companies are usually pretty good about doing the maintenance.

I'm referring to stop/go/cold start WOT, and other general stupids.

Yeah, I did not know the diff was submerged considering how the water was only about 10" deep. I think it flooded dynamic vs. static, though.

I'm referring to stop/go/cold start WOT, and other general stupids.

Haha yea. Usually I drive rentals pretty normal but I’m sure they take a beating. I probably wouldn’t buy a rental performance vehicle.

But like you said it’s fine. Cars are meant to be used! A lot of mechanics will tell you the cars that get driven hard (not abused) tend to have less problems too.

Haha yea. Usually I drive rentals pretty normal but I’m sure they take a beating. I probably wouldn’t buy a rental performance vehicle.

But like you said it’s fine. Cars are meant to be used! A lot of mechanics will tell you the cars that get driven hard (not abused) tend to have less problems too.

Yep. I know I have one of the higher mile cx5s on here and it works fine.

My car was a rental. 81K miles and apparently less issues than most people on this forum who obsess over some things

Cars are meant to be used! A lot of mechanics will tell you the cars that get driven hard (not abused) tend to have less problems too.

Agreed! I drive my CX-5 hard and always have. And this car has been problem free! Only problems I've had were body damage caused by me, or other jackasses rear-ending me. In terms of other issues, it's really been none. AC needs to be looked at as it's not generating cold air as well as it used to, but that's hardly anything big.

65k miles of problem free driving and no sign of that changing anytime soon. (thumb)

Thanks guys for making me even more confused lol!

So those of you who drive your cars hard....what's the longest you've owned a car? How does yours compare to others with similar mileage that were treated more gently?

I really wish there was hard data on this topic (and maybe there is!). If the previous driver's driving style has little to no bearing on future performance, then that opens up a lot more vehicles for possible purchase, including some potentially very good deals.

Hard to answer that really.

My last car was a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I drove it to 300k miles. So 65k miles on my CX-5 feels like nothing really. And it was a Jeep so it naturally had lots of issues as it is ;)

As for driving hard, I just mean I don't baby the damn thing and drive like an old lady. I accelerate hard, gun it a lot, take corners fast (it's fun), and probably brake too hard in some situations. My CX-5 has held up and continues to work great. No problems.

Last edited:
Sometimes mechanics will just take a car for a spirited drive to resolve complaints. If all you do is put around and never really get things up to temp or wind out the motor it can cause issues.

These SkyActiv motors like to run and that’s true of most engines. Just drive sensibly. Maintenance is the real key, especially regular oil changes.

I keep my cars for the long haul.

I haven't read the whole topic but I have a Mazda CX-5 2.0.

Bought at: 27k miles (with new oil and filter from Mazda dealer)
First oil change: 12,5k miles
Second oil change: 15k miles

I just did the second oil change this weekend and I can not recommend a 15k mile interval. The oil was very dark and smelled stong, I did the oil change with a car mechanic and he said it was too dark, and I should do the next 2-3 oil changes at 7k intervals to get it good again.

Back