CX7 Fan Speed Inadequate? Heating, Cooling

Infymus

:
CX9, Mazda 3
As we are getting back into the winter months, I'm dreading my CX7's inadequate fan system. When temps here in SLC drop below freezing, I know it will take the car over 20 minutes for the cabin to warm up.

In the summer, if the temp is above 100F (as it was most of this summer, something like 20+ days), the car may never get totally cooled down.

It seems to me like the fan speed is completely inadequate for the size of the cabin in the CX7. If you have it on auto (mine is the GT), the fan speed is always 2 settings lower than it can possibly go, so I'm always cranking it to full speed. I work 10 miles from home which is about a 20 minute drive. I wear my winter coat all the way to work because it isn't until I'm pulling into the parking lot that it is finally getting warm.

Anyone else think the fan is not enough?

I have the touring manual heat & AC and find the fan speed excellent here in FL. I use the Rec and speed # 4 for the cool-down and then back to #3 or even 2. I can't address heat issues obviously. Ed

I'm living in South West Florida as well and think I have the same problem.

It takes forever to the car to cool down. I bring it to the dealer and he told me to not set up the airflow with the A/C Auto to the feets.
When I mentionned I never did that because I keep it on Auto all the time, he maintained his explanation was the solution and confirmed cold air was blowing @ 41 degrees which match mfg specs...

But my old Olds Intrigue was cooling down 10 times faster!

I don't know about heating because we don't need it here ;o)

As we are getting back into the winter months, I'm dreading my CX7's inadequate fan system. When temps here in SLC drop below freezing, I know it will take the car over 20 minutes for the cabin to warm up.

In the summer, if the temp is above 100F (as it was most of this summer, something like 20+ days), the car may never get totally cooled down.

It seems to me like the fan speed is completely inadequate for the size of the cabin in the CX7. If you have it on auto (mine is the GT), the fan speed is always 2 settings lower than it can possibly go, so I'm always cranking it to full speed. I work 10 miles from home which is about a 20 minute drive. I wear my winter coat all the way to work because it isn't until I'm pulling into the parking lot that it is finally getting warm.

Anyone else think the fan is not enough?

Yeah, it sucks. I've noted that if I park my car in the garage, out of the direct sunlight, even if the outside temp is over 95, then the cooling system has a chance to get the cabin cool and keep it cool.

If it's parked in the sunlight...ugh, have to suffer a bit.

If I'm in stop and go driving, blazing sun...forget it, the A/C can't cope.

I have the GT...the auto controls, for some reason, don't understand to crank up the fan speed to high when it's so hot outside. I have to turn down the temp to its lowest setting, 60 degrees, then the system turns up the fan speed to high. But even then, the a/c struggles.

BTW, I had the TSB applied, when replaced the controller module. Didn't do the trick! (jerkit) Just have to resign myself to the realities of the situation.

As for heating, I've no complaints. For me, my CX-7 does heat up the car quickly enough during the winter months. Even when the temps dropped to the 20s, it was adequate.

Vince.

Ok I live in Wisconsin so I may not experience the heat as often or as long as you guys, but we do get 100+ days. And my car is parked in full sun all day long. Also I work where it is very dusty so I generally do NOT crack the windows or sunroof.

When I start the car the Auto AC is set to 72 deg. The fan starts slow but within 5 seconds it is at full blast. This is with it still on auto and still at 72 deg. After it starts to cool a bit the fan speed starts to drop. The car is comfortable and the fans speed is down to level 2 or 3 by the time I get home 10 minutes later.

If it's 100+ and your auto AC is not cranking the fan to full speed when you first get in, then there is something most definitely wrong with the system.

CX 7 T: I measured the outlet temperature at the center outlet and it was 55 F. on a 92 F. day. This measurement was taken with a digital probe inserted 1 inch into the center vent. AC on non-rec, full cold and hi fan. My AC books on other cars suggest the outlet temp should be 44-46 F. under the above conditions. Will someone else measure this temp with a decent thermometer and report. Maybe there is a group of vehicles where the coolant charge is low. Ed

CX 7 T: I measured the outlet temperature at the center outlet and it was 55 F. on a 92 F. day. This measurement was taken with a digital probe inserted 1 inch into the center vent. AC on non-rec, full cold and hi fan. My AC books on other cars suggest the outlet temp should be 44-46 F. under the above conditions. Will someone else measure this temp with a decent thermometer and report. Maybe there is a group of vehicles where the coolant charge is low. Ed

I'm confused. I read your post above and you said the fan speed was "excellent" and I inferred from that that the cool down in your vehicle is excellent as well. Why, then, are you measuring the outlet temperature?

Mine does just fine in the Texas heat. I have mine on AC Auto at all times (73 degrees) and it turns on full blast for a few minutes in recirculation mode and then backs off once it cools down some. I can attest this isn't the coldest or best AC I have ever owned but it does an ok job.

Well I'll be dumping the 2007 CX7 next fall and we will see what I'll get into next. If they have fixed the problems with the keyless entry (it beeps at you no matter how far away you are), the seatbelt cinch that tightens so tight you have to unbuckle and re-buckle to get it back, the fan speed and a couple other minor items - I might get a 2009 CX7. Right now I kinda have my sites set on an Infinity, Lexis or even a Mercedes, not sure.

What I can't wait to see is my 2008 Miata PRHT I ordered two months ago. It is supposed to be here in December, maybe January. Doesn't even have a vin yet. Now that should be fun.

The fan speed is excellent TOP. The outlet air temp on my car results in a longer cool down but, it does cool down.

Well I'll be dumping the 2007 CX7 next fall and we will see what I'll get into next. If they have fixed the problems with the keyless entry (it beeps at you no matter how far away you are), the seatbelt cinch that tightens so tight you have to unbuckle and re-buckle to get it back, the fan speed and a couple other minor items - I might get a 2009 CX7. Right now I kinda have my sites set on an Infinity, Lexis or even a Mercedes, not sure.

What I can't wait to see is my 2008 Miata PRHT I ordered two months ago. It is supposed to be here in December, maybe January. Doesn't even have a vin yet. Now that should be fun.

Keyless entry problems? Isn't it supposed to beep?

Keyless entry problems? Isn't it supposed to beep?

Oh it beeps. All the time. If you walk out of the car with it running, close the door, it will beep at you.

I take people to lunch every day and usually I'm the first to get in and turn the car on. When the last person closes the door, the car beeps thinking there is no key - even though I could turn the car on. It is highly annoying but after 10 months of owning the CX7, I'm used to it. The key just needs to be within 2 inches of the ignition in order for it to recognize. When I'm by myself, no problem because I have the door closed when I start the car.

Only way to get it to stop blinking KEY KEY KEY is to take the key out of my pocket, hold it against the ignition switch and then open and close the door.

No biggy. I just hope my Miata isn't going to be this way.

Oh it beeps. All the time. If you walk out of the car with it running, close the door, it will beep at you.

I take people to lunch every day and usually I'm the first to get in and turn the car on. When the last person closes the door, the car beeps thinking there is no key - even though I could turn the car on. It is highly annoying but after 10 months of owning the CX7, I'm used to it. The key just needs to be within 2 inches of the ignition in order for it to recognize. When I'm by myself, no problem because I have the door closed when I start the car.

Only way to get it to stop blinking KEY KEY KEY is to take the key out of my pocket, hold it against the ignition switch and then open and close the door.

No biggy. I just hope my Miata isn't going to be this way.

If you get out of the car when it's running and take the key with you, it's supposed to beep when your door shuts. It's nice I've actually been distracted before and left the car running. The beeping told me to shut it off.

But the having to take the key out of your pocket... that's definitely not right.

Just a quick question on the AC system, are you in "fresh" or "recirc" mode? Recirculation mode will normally give better results for an HVAC system as it does not have to heat up or cool down the incomming air. This is also beneficial for when you're passing by a dead skunk. :)

The Auto AC system switches between fresh and recirc automatically.

When it's hot out, my system automatically goes into recirc mode.

We get 95 F in the summer and -40 F in the winter here and the system works fine.

Made the summer here with 95 average - and high humidity. No problems.

With winter temps averaging around 40 here, heating is a non-issue. Body heat from a big dog with a paper fan taped to his tail would do the trick - as long as he was glad to see ya.

Back