Does your radiator fan stay on with engine off?

When I had my 2018 CX-5 I noticed that when I turned the engine off the radiator fan would stay on for about a minute. I thought it was a neat feature to cool off the engine bay after turning the engine off. When I got into my 2019 CX-9 it no longer had that feature. Usually when I get home and the engine temp is still high with the fan on, I let it run until the fans turn off, that way the coolant is around or below 200 deg. Idk if anyone else does that, or maybe that’s just me. Specially because it’s a turbo car too, I'm used to the old school way of cooling the turbo (that’s why turbo timers were a thing). I go even further and pop the hood over night to extract more heat. Unless it’s parked outside of course. Then I don’t have a choice but to leave it closed.

Now, did the older CX-9s (16-18) have that feature or was that just strictly a CX-5 thing? It would be nice if that was something that could be turned on, but it would probably have to go through the dealerships computer, if it was possible.

Last edited:
As far as I know, my 2018 doesn't do that. When the engine is shut down, everything else shuts down as well, aside from a very quiet electrical hum that lasts for 20-30 seconds. I assume is just the car's systems winding down.

No need to pop the hood, or even let it idle before shutdown is most cases. The only time I would bother to do that is if I had just pulled into a rest stop off of the highway, or if I had been towing or carrying a heavy payload, or if I had been driving really aggressively seconds prior to parking. For the most part, the time it takes to pull into a parking lot, find a spot to park, and unbuckle your seat belt is more than enough time for the car to cool off enough to shut it down safely. It certainly doesn't hurt to let it idle a little bit longer though, so it's really just preference.

As far as I know, my 2018 doesn't do that. When the engine is shut down, everything else shuts down as well, aside from a very quiet electrical hum that lasts for 20-30 seconds. I assume is just the car's systems winding down.

No need to pop the hood, or even let it idle before shutdown is most cases. The only time I would bother to do that is if I had just pulled into a rest stop off of the highway, or if I had been towing or carrying a heavy payload, or if I had been driving really aggressively seconds prior to parking. For the most part, the time it takes to pull into a parking lot, find a spot to park, and unbuckle your seat belt is more than enough time for the car to cool off enough to shut it down safely. It certainly doesn't hurt to let it idle a little bit longer though, so it's really just preference.
Yeah I’m sure it isn’t necessary. Its just habit that form through the years I guess. Ive done that to all my cars. From my 2012 Fusion to my 2004 Cobra. I did it to the Cobra to see the supercharger everytime I’d go into the garage though. Haha.

But yeah, to me, it would be nice if the CX-9s fan stayed on a little longer just like the CX-5s but it is what it is.

Back