2016~2023 CX-9 Radiator fan issues

:
Winnipeg Canada
:
2017 CX-9 GT
So I've noticed that my engine temp tends to get a little higher than 90C when driving in stop and go traffic. On the highway it seems fine. I took it to a Mazda dealership and they replace my thermostat for $500, but it still does it. Today, it went up to 100C. I popped the hood with the engine running and noticed that the rad fan wasn't spinning at all, even though the engine temp indicator showed it was over 90C.

I fiddled around with what I believe is the ground cable (based on this post), basically just unscrewed the bolt and screwed it back in. I turned on the car and I heard the fan roar to life - something I haven't heard in a while I just realized. So, could it be that simple? A bad ground?

I'm gonna play with that some more tomorrow, but does anyone have any tips on diagnosing this? How to test the ground or test the fan or control module? Tomorrow I'm gonna clean that ground as best as I can, maybe take a photo and post it here. But it might not be that, it could be that fan just started for some other reason so I'm looking for any suggestions now. Thanks.

1) The ground wire connections need to be clean and tight.
2) The overheating could be caused by the wiring to the fan motor, the fan motor, the fan motor thermostatic switch, the grille louvers, the coolant thermostat, or a coolant leak (hopefully not, that would probably be a cracked cylinder head).
3) Make an appointment with the service manager (don't just drive in and talk with one of the service writers) to discuss you paying them $500 for failing to correctly diagnose your overheat problem and failing to fix it. Does Manitoba have any laws about auto repair shops charging for unnecessary repairs or failing to fix the customer's problem? Check that first. And, decide what you want back from the dealership. Your money refunded after they replaced a perfectly good thermostat? $500 in future work credits? Or? It does no good to complain if one hasn't decided what they can do to make it right.

Ya, I took it to the Mazda dealer with the hope they could rule out a cracked head. I have no evidence that the head is cracked, the coolant levels are steady, no coolant on the ground or rear of the engine, and a recent oil change showed no obvious signs of water in the oil.

I think this is just a fan issue, as like I said, it was not spinning at all until I wiggled the ground cable. I'm gonna clean that now and see if that helps. That's the easiest and cheapest fix so might as well try that now. Wish I knew about that before I went to the dealer. But ya, I should go back and demand something.

UPDATE: So I cleaned out the ground, put it back, cleaned up the battery -ve terminal. No difference, the fan will not spin at all. Why it was spinning yesterday for a while is a mystery, however, I notice one thing. If I turn on the A/C, the fan spins and blows a lot of air through the rad. With the OBDII I noticed the engine coolant was 96C before I turned on the A/C, it then quickly dropped down to 90C.

So it's not the power to the fan that's the problem, it's what controls the fan. So what controls the fan? @PTguy suggested a Thermostatic Switch, is that something I can access easy and test myself? A quick google search doesn't really turn up much for that, is there something else that controls the rad fan? Thanks.

Am I over reacting for nothing? Ever since I bought the car, under normal diving conditions the coolant temp never went over 90C, except once last year while driving through the Rocky Mountains and now all the time while driving in stop and go traffic this fall. Looking at the Mazda manual, 100C is "normal".

However, shouldn't the radiator fan be running when the engine is running but the car is parked and the engine temp is over 90C? Or does the fan only kick in above 100C?

1695318174854.png

Has your CX-9 actually displayed any engine overheating warnings on the dash or anything like that? In the screen Settings area, there's a section where you can see any warnings/errors that have occurred. It sounds to me like your CX-9 hasn't actually overheated.

90C is 194F and 100C is 212F. On CX-9s in the US, the engine temperature is displayed in F (freedom units...I mean Fahrenheit hehe) and 200F is right in the middle of the gauge which is normal operating temperature, so I think your car is actually fine and you got taken by the dealership.

The dealership's service department should know that 90C-100C engine temps are normal and should've told you everything's fine, but instead they used it as an opportunity to take your money by offering unnecessary service. Confirm that you have no overheating warnings/errors in the car's settings and go back to the dealership with the screenshot you posted of the manual showing that 100C is normal temperature and demand your money back.

Regarding the radiator fan, as far as I know the fan will always run when the AC is turned on regardless of engine temperature. I don't however know what engine temp the fan kicks on at if the AC isn't turned on.

Check your coolant level on the coolant reservoir when your engine is fully cold, like in the morning after sitting all night. If the level is close to the L for low, top it off near or at the F for full, but not over it. You can buy the OEM Mazda FL-22 coolant from the dealership and top it off yourself.

temp.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back