CX5 Wading depth

Just an update, I just got it the fluids changed because it's already time to do so anyway.

Not deep enough to make me close the door doing it. However, I did hit a bump and vehicle "slapped down", so depth may have been less the issue than dynamics. ALso, yes, $2700. Mazda took care of it for me. I did take my 2019 through about 8" of water the other day at about 10mph. Took it in the next morning to check all fluids. Was fine.

Question. How did you check all the diff and transfer case fluid?

Just an update, I just got it the fluids changed because it's already time to do so anyway.

Question. How did you check all the diff and transfer case fluid?
Unobtanium usually takes the CX-5 to his Mazda dealer for service. Here is front transfer case and rear differential gear lube checking and replacing procedures from Mazda Workshop Manual:

Finally found a couple of pdf attachments thanks to our great Anchorman! I converted them to jpg's and here they are:

View attachment 221836
attachment.php

View attachment 221837
attachment.php

Just make sure when you follow the procedure, you need 0.75 ~ 0.85 quart gear lube for rear differential than stated 0.48 quart (0.37 quart for gen-2 CX-5).

I don't I posted this anywhere else (not a big poster, mostly use the form for researching new models, potential issues/fixes & lurking). Had to replace the rear diff on our 2014 CX5 at 69,000 km, back in 2016. In the fall of 2015, after installing winter tires in late November, started to notice a 'howl' at highway speeds, usually above 80 km/hr. It got worse as the winter went on, I thought it was the winter tires so didn't do anything about it. When I bought new all-seasons in the spring of 2016 the noise was still there. The dealer replaced the rear diff under warranty. I think it would have been about $2,100 CDN. There is now 178,000 km on the vehicle and will be 7 yrs old in a couple months, bought it in Match 2013. Has been a great vehicle, and I expect that I will replace with another CX5 in 3 years, or possibly a CX30 if Mazda listens and gets the cladding aesthetic corrected.

I have no idea what was the cause of the failure, we don't take the CX5 off-road and we don't recall ever having to drive through any flooded areas of any significant depth. The only 'water-related' issue out of the ordinary was during a road trip to NYC in the summer of 2015. On the drive to NYC, we ran into heavy rain the entire journey, what should have been a 12 hr drive ended up being about 18hrs due to limited visibility, traffic, etc.

Not sure if my comments are of any benefit, bought that I would provide.

Cheers

Update: should have checked my previous postings first, I did post about the rear diff replacement back in May 2016, the actual cost was $1700.

Last edited:
"The rear differential on CX-5 is not sealed and there’s a vent on top of it with a long tubing and a check valve goes to the rear bumper area."

In the past, I have put a sprinkler under my vehicles to wash off any salt and when using a car wash added under the car wash. Sounds like a bad idea with the open vent. Any thoughts?

"The rear differential on CX-5 is not sealed and there’s a vent on top of it with a long tubing and a check valve goes to the rear bumper area."

In the past, I have put a sprinkler under my vehicles to wash off any salt and when using a car wash added under the car wash. Sounds like a bad idea with the open vent. Any thoughts?
I wouldn’t worry too much about washing off the salt with a sprinkler as long as you use your common sense and don’t force too much water into the vent tube opening area behind the bumper cover. The tube itself has a check valve and it’s highly unlikely to let water go through the tube and back-flow into the rear differential. If you submerge the rear differential into water, that’s a differential story.

BTW, what I said above is only valid if the vent tubing is intact as I remember there’re incidences that the tube is dislodged from the vent nipple on top of the rear differential, or the tube itself is aged and damaged which caused water leak.

it's not a vent tube, it's a vacuum line that's part of the ABS/dsc system if I recall. This is the vent, and it has a pinched cap on it that can spin around and has a little vertical play.

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 172
it's not a vent tube, it's a vacuum line that's part of the ABS/dsc system if I recall. This is the vent, and it has a pinched cap on it that can spin around and has a little vertical play.
Ha, sorry to mislead the vent tube info. I remember I saw a vent tube in a rear differential diagram, apparently that was some vacuum line you mentioned.

What is the purpose of the vent?
EDIT Found the answer.....

"Every differential has a breather. It is usually just a vent to the outside air, covered by a cap that helps keep debris out. It is there to equalize the pressure in the axle as the temperature within the axle changes. Without a breather, or if your breather is clogged, the pressure that builds up inside the axle housing will most likely push gear oil past your pinion or axle seals."

I personally don't consider the CX-5 an off-road vehicle at all. Should be able to do some light duty stuff, but I wouldn't be wading in water as deep as that video. Likely to ruin the rear diff.

I believe Unobtanium had to replace his rear diff on his old 2015 due to flooding if I recall, not sure how deep though.

No full size spare means not serious.

It would be pretty easy to run tubes from the diff. air vents up to 18" or whatever tho...

Back