CX-90 Reviews are out

Throttle House did a drag race with a Mazda CX-90 Turbo S, a BMW X5 40i, and a Mercedes GLE 450.

The fact that people would even bother to compare these models must mean that Mazda is doing something right.

Throttle House did a drag race with a Mazda CX-90 Turbo S, a BMW X5 40i, and a Mercedes GLE 450.

The fact that people would even bother to compare these models must mean that Mazda is doing something right.
Impressive results on the rolling start!

My impressions from a test drive over the last weekend:

I currently drive a CX-5 and I've had my eye on something a little more premium and mid-size. I test drove a CX-90 with the base engine in peak traffic, poorly maintained neighborhood roads, and a little bit on a busy state highway (45 MPH speed limit). I also test drove a XC-90, a MDX and a Palisade along a similar route.

My CX-90 positives:
- RWD driver position (I like it and find it easier to drive for some unexplainable reason)
- handling is great and reminded of a 3 series I used to own, stays relatively flat in corners
- exterior and interior has a wow factor and is comparable to luxury car cabins
- seats are plush enough

My CX-90 negatives:
- transmission is not smooth (transmission jerkiness is very noticeable and reminded me of Ford dual clutch transmissions, not good)
- ride is firm (I felt jolts transmitted from small road imperfections, bumps and potholes)
- cabin is not quiet (proof here: TO THE TOP?? -- 2024 Mazda CX-90 vs. 2023 Kia Telluride: Comparison)
- length of the car is felt (especially in traffic and low speed situations)
- steering felt heavy and vague
- front row seat bottom cushions are short like in the CX-5, no extending thigh cushions
- no ceiling/b-pillar vents in the 2nd rows
- no bench seat option in higher trims
- 3rd row foot room is tight
- 3rd row vents hit my knees no matter how I tried to articulate it
- cargo space behind 3rd row is tight
- did not like the engine note (call me crazy but the note of a palisade V6 was much more pleasant to me)
- infotainment is not great, especially when you compare it back to back with other brands. I've lived with it for multiple years now and even I found that the infotainment could be much much better.

The CX-90's sense of a premium experience kinda fell apart for me (and the missus) as soon as I started driving it in real world conditions. I love Mazda as a brand, but this feels like a misstep although car journalists will love it for the RWD driving dynamics. I agree with Motormouth's opinions here. If Mazda was hoping to win over people from the Telluride/Palisade camp, this is not it. If they were hoping for Acura customers, this could be it. But they're not gonna win over the Volvo camp as Volvos have this stately premium-ness and feels a step above. IMO, luxury/premium feel comes from a quiet cabin, plush seating and smooth ride quality. It doesn't come from handling feel and prowess. See X5 and X7's change in direction where BMW is becoming more like Mercedes of yesteryear. Therefore, I predict Mazda will update the CX-90 similar to what they had to do for the CX-5 where they updated the ride to be less firm, and introduced more sound deadening. That's when more people starting buying the CX-5.

Overall, I prefer the Palisade over the CX-90 for the smooth engine and transmission, the cushy truck like ride, a/c vents in the ceiling, split sunroofs providing more light to the 2nd and 3rd rows. Neither the CX-90 nor the Palisade offer bench option in higher trims currently. Volvo does offer a bench seat with an independent booster integrated middle seat in the 2nd row, but the 2nd row seat cushions are abysmally short (not sure if they actually had adults in mind). Since I don't have an immediate need for a 3 row, I'm going to wait and see what comes out in the next year. Kinda excited about the '24 Lincoln Aviator refresh. Let's see.

Last edited:
I hope the vehicle you test-drove had the tire pressure properly lowered from shipping.
We all knew it came with 45psi to avoid flat spotting of tire.
Some salespersons have no clue about this.

I hope the vehicle you test-drove had the tire pressure properly lowered from shipping.
We all knew it came with 45psi to avoid flat spotting of tire.
Some salespersons have no clue about this.
pretty sure it was set to proper pressure. don't get me wrong, the ride is an improvement over the CX-5 and CX-9 (my data point is skewed here since I rented a pretty beat up CX-9 from Avis). however, I'm not sure its enough. It's great if you expect a sporty ride and handling, but not good if you have to drive around in pothole ridden PNW roads.

The powertrain also doesn't feel very responsive off the line (doesn't feel torquey), so it feels lethargic in traffic and you have to put your foot down and rev out the engine to get going. Sport mode was a noticeable improvement.

Mazda's achilles heel is refinement. And it shows in this new platform. Check reviewers that cater to the common man rather than ones that cater to the enthusiast and you'll see my impressions reflected in their impressions as well. CX-60 reviews from across the globe and they all say the same thing about this platform. As much as I wanted to love this product from Mazda, I don't unfortunately.

The powertrain also doesn't feel very responsive off the line (doesn't feel torquey), so it feels lethargic in traffic and you have to put your foot down and rev out the engine to get going. Sport mode was a noticeable improvement.
And this is the opposite from the CX9 which many of us are used to. Wonder if there's gonna be less uptake from current owners than what they expected.

I mean, I was hoping the engine would be the difference maker but now, top line of this is within 4k CAD of the QX60-which also requires one to floor it from what I've read. But suddenly that is less a downside compared to competition.

I realize the CX90 can be had here for 59k with the bigger HP engine, or even less still. To me this has value compared to the over priced MDX still, but not sure about the infiniti. Save 4k but new model, with all the risks there. Assuming one can get one.

And this is the opposite from the CX9 which many of us are used to. Wonder if there's gonna be less uptake from current owners than what they expected.

I mean, I was hoping the engine would be the difference maker but now, top line of this is within 4k CAD of the QX60-which also requires one to floor it from what I've read. But suddenly that is less a downside compared to competition.

I realize the CX90 can be had here for 59k with the bigger HP engine, or even less still. To me this has value compared to the over priced MDX still, but not sure about the infiniti. Save 4k but new model, with all the risks there. Assuming one can get one.

I haven't driven a new QX60, but I've ridden in a 2020 or 2021 for a road trip, and it was a very underwhelming experience for me. Not sure what changes have been made since then, though.

mean, I was hoping the engine would be the difference maker but now, top line of this is within 4k CAD of the QX60-which also requires one to floor it from what I've read. But suddenly that is less a downside compared to competition.
Totally agree, I'm going to check out the QX60 soon. QX60 is probably Infiniti's best product although the company seems to be in a troubled spot nowadays. QX60 comes with bench seat with tilt and slide function which is appealing to my needs more than captain chairs or removable middle seat versions (MDX, Pilot).

Now that I'm remembering the CX-9 experience, it was far more responsive and torquey than my experience with the base CX-90.

I haven't driven a new QX60, but I've ridden in a 2020 or 2021 for a road trip, and it was a very underwhelming experience for me. Not sure what changes have been made since then, though.
At the very least, its going to feel more premium because of the supposed quiet and comfortable ride.

Hi
I am in Canada and for the moment no vehicule available for test drive.For people in the Us when you do a test drive would it be possible to evaluate if by putting the car in off road mode and turning off the istop(next to seat memory)How the car accelarates from 0mph?I ask because in Europe the cx60 is faster with off road mode i do not know why.

Cx60 phev
Off road mode 0-100km/h(62mph) in 5.2s
Sport mode 0-100km/h(62mph) in 5.8s.

I thought I read somewhere that the hybrid motor in the inline 6 was used to get the car moving and at slow speed stuff -to save gas. I wonder if that is giving the sense of being slow off the line.

I am going to try to test drive one tomorrow.

22 was the redesign, much shaper look. But the main thing is no CVT. A new transmission with gears (!), which changes the character altogether. Naturally aspirated V6, which is who knows how long of this world.

I've yet to drive one, but reviews seem to say the dynamics are good but not stellar. You don't buy one for the handling for sure. But seems like one won't be floating thru corners.

For me it also tows 6000 lb which is better than most. The more I think about it, the more I believe my next debate will be QX60 vs save 10k and get a Pathfinder, rather than CX90 vs XYZ. But obviously I'm waiting for full reviews and to drive one myself.

Don't understand the noisy cabin argument. This is from the drag race video. They are all the same but at this one point, the Hyundai has a much louder cabin, but there is fluctuation and honestly, they are all about the same.
Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 12.49.14 PM.png

the important thing I've realized is that the decibel readings don't tell the full story. There are some types of noise that will seem louder (more annoying) to the human ear than others types would but have the exact same decibel levels. In short, perceived noise is different from measured noise. For example, I find road noise (tire contact noise) is the most annoying type of noise. Some find wind noise over the mirrors annoying. So companies started introducing a loooot of sound deadening materials over wheel wells and other underfloor ares to combat road noise and they also started installing dual pane windows in the front doors to combat wind noise. They stiffen up the body rigidity so the body doesn't vibrate as much because metal vibrations lead to lot of noise. I can't quite put my finger on it, but Mazda was perceived noisier to my ears. So, it's important to take the impressions of people who've driven it into account. In the video, Throttle House says something like "Mazda is about as quiet as the Hyundai but not as quiet as the BMW or Mercedes". I believe them. On rough roads like Pacific Northwest roads, Mazda's firm suspension doesn't help and is probably leading to a more noisier ride. On smooth roads, they may all be perceived as equal.

22 was the redesign, much shaper look. But the main thing is no CVT. A new transmission with gears (!), which changes the character altogether. Naturally aspirated V6, which is who knows how long of this world.

I've yet to drive one, but reviews seem to say the dynamics are good but not stellar. You don't buy one for the handling for sure. But seems like one won't be floating thru corners.

For me it also tows 6000 lb which is better than most. The more I think about it, the more I believe my next debate will be QX60 vs save 10k and get a Pathfinder, rather than CX90 vs XYZ. But obviously I'm waiting for full reviews and to drive one myself.

That's great news about the transmission! One of the main reasons I wouldn't get one was the CVT and all the problems it had. It's a good thing they ditched it. The 22+ models look a lot nicer than previous MYs I think.

Totally agree, I'm going to check out the QX60 soon. QX60 is probably Infiniti's best product although the company seems to be in a troubled spot nowadays. QX60 comes with bench seat with tilt and slide function which is appealing to my needs more than captain chairs or removable middle seat versions (MDX, Pilot).

Now that I'm remembering the CX-9 experience, it was far more responsive and torquey than my experience with the base CX-90.

At the very least, its going to feel more premium because of the supposed quiet and comfortable ride.
I think our current cx9 rides better than the new qx60. Both my wife and I thought the qx60 was pretty firm. It was quiet though.

My impressions from a test drive over the last weekend:

I currently drive a CX-5 and I've had my eye on something a little more premium and mid-size. I test drove a CX-90 with the base engine in peak traffic, poorly maintained neighborhood roads, and a little bit on a busy state highway (45 MPH speed limit). I also test drove a XC-90, a MDX and a Palisade along a similar route.

My CX-90 positives:
- RWD driver position (I like it and find it easier to drive for some unexplainable reason)
- handling is great and reminded of a 3 series I used to own, stays relatively flat in corners
- exterior and interior has a wow factor and is comparable to luxury car cabins
- seats are plush enough

My CX-90 negatives:
- transmission is not smooth (transmission jerkiness is very noticeable and reminded me of Ford dual clutch transmissions, not good)
- ride is firm (I felt jolts transmitted from small road imperfections, bumps and potholes)
- cabin is not quiet (proof here: TO THE TOP?? -- 2024 Mazda CX-90 vs. 2023 Kia Telluride: Comparison)
- length of the car is felt (especially in traffic and low speed situations)
- steering felt heavy and vague
- front row seat bottom cushions are short like in the CX-5, no extending thigh cushions
- no ceiling/b-pillar vents in the 2nd rows
- no bench seat option in higher trims
- 3rd row foot room is tight
- 3rd row vents hit my knees no matter how I tried to articulate it
- cargo space behind 3rd row is tight
- did not like the engine note (call me crazy but the note of a palisade V6 was much more pleasant to me)
- infotainment is not great, especially when you compare it back to back with other brands. I've lived with it for multiple years now and even I found that the infotainment could be much much better.

The CX-90's sense of a premium experience kinda fell apart for me (and the missus) as soon as I started driving it in real world conditions. I love Mazda as a brand, but this feels like a misstep although car journalists will love it for the RWD driving dynamics. I agree with Motormouth's opinions here. If Mazda was hoping to win over people from the Telluride/Palisade camp, this is not it. If they were hoping for Acura customers, this could be it. But they're not gonna win over the Volvo camp as Volvos have this stately premium-ness and feels a step above. IMO, luxury/premium feel comes from a quiet cabin, plush seating and smooth ride quality. It doesn't come from handling feel and prowess. See X5 and X7's change in direction where BMW is becoming more like Mercedes of yesteryear. Therefore, I predict Mazda will update the CX-90 similar to what they had to do for the CX-5 where they updated the ride to be less firm, and introduced more sound deadening. That's when more people starting buying the CX-5.

Overall, I prefer the Palisade over the CX-90 for the smooth engine and transmission, the cushy truck like ride, a/c vents in the ceiling, split sunroofs providing more light to the 2nd and 3rd rows. Neither the CX-90 nor the Palisade offer bench option in higher trims currently. Volvo does offer a bench seat with an independent booster integrated middle seat in the 2nd row, but the 2nd row seat cushions are abysmally short (not sure if they actually had adults in mind). Since I don't have an immediate need for a 3 row, I'm going to wait and see what comes out in the next year. Kinda excited about the '24 Lincoln Aviator refresh. Let's see.
Thanks for the comprehensive review. Being the owner of a ‘21 Telluride EX AWD, which I bought new in 2020, I can tell you it’s not that great. It feels huge and the driving dynamics do not inspire confidence. The best thing about it is the cavernous space inside. It also does tow well, and drives well in the snow. I like the AWD lock. But the driving modes of the transmission are annoying. In the default comfort mode, if you press down the accelerator a little more than half way it lurches into a lower gear. Not much grace there. If I were you I would also check out the new Honda Pilot, which is supposed to drive small, and the Acura MDX. The Lincoln Aviator does have an amazing engine…that twin-turbo V6.

For me we want a PHEV so Palisade is out (and their actual MPG is pretty bad given we drive mostly city compared to the CX90).

This leaves the Volvo, which is MSRP STARTS at $70k or so and only gets 19 miles of range in electric. To get into one with HUD they start at $79k so over $20k more vs top trim Mazda. $$$$$.....
The seats were awesome and the interior was great too. I didn't like the screen being so low and had to touch it for everything. The tester I drove had finger smears all over it. If I recall correctly turning on the seat warmer is a 2 press solution since it's 1 menu deep.

I just test drove again a Turbo on Saturday and it's not bad. Wife liked it but I did notice that the front dipped a bit on a quicker stop. I'm used to stiffer suspension so I guess it's ok. One thing I wish they had was the center console for the top line PHEV or the bench seat. I'm not a big fan of the arm rests but if you get captain chairs in the Volvo you don't even get arm rests. They had the Turbo S on display (white on white) and it would have been perfect if they had that interior on the top PHEV.

I’m still waiting for delivery of my PHEV GT. It’s more expensive than inline 6 signature top trim. Mostly I’m disappointed that I won’t get driver personalization which I thought it’s really cool. I think it doesn’t have a centre console in the second row but that’s fine with me.

Back