2017~2024 CX-5 Warranty after purchase

HI all. New here. Just purchased a 2021 CX-5 back in late April.
At purchase we did not buy a extended as we have never gotten one in the past but now 2 months later thinking that maybe we should've. This is the first car ever purchased brand new and starting to realize that today's cars are so hi-tech that maybe we should have some protection for down the road. As of right now 1,300 miles is on vehicle. Expected miles per year is 9,000. Expect will be garage kept and we expect to have this car easily for10+ years.
Would you recommend getting a after market warranty? If so, who would you recommend to go thru? Back to Mazda or another 3rd party?
Thank you

I had the same thought you did about all the electronics! It's unbelievable. I did buy the Mazda warranty at time of purchase and I'd recommend using your best negotiation skills. I also plan to keep my CX-5 for the long haul so I got it for 100k miles. Have fun as you get the price as far down as you can, you are in the power position 👍.

Shop around, get the cheapest price, then instead of buying that warranty, put that same money into a money market account. In other words, you're self-insuring. If you have unexpected repairs, the money has been saved, and it won't hurt.

Shop around, get the cheapest price, then instead of buying that warranty, put that same money into a money market account. In other words, you're self-insuring. If you have unexpected repairs, the money has been saved, and it won't hurt.
Yes, in an ideal world, this would work. But for the vast majority of us, it doesn't. So we buy insurance 🤷.

HI all. New here. Just purchased a 2021 CX-5 back in late April.
At purchase we did not buy a extended as we have never gotten one in the past but now 2 months later thinking that maybe we should've. This is the first car ever purchased brand new and starting to realize that today's cars are so hi-tech that maybe we should have some protection for down the road. As of right now 1,300 miles is on vehicle. Expected miles per year is 9,000. Expect will be garage kept and we expect to have this car easily for10+ years.
Would you recommend getting a after market warranty? If so, who would you recommend to go thru? Back to Mazda or another 3rd party?
Thank you
This topic has been debated many times. Do a search and you’ll find there’s too much information which’d confuse you.

IMO there’s no right answer for it as there’re too many variables and the situation for each person is different. To start, which trim level do you have? Having a 2.5L or 2.5T would make a difference to me.

In general, you really don’t want an after-market extended warranty as if they’re out of business, you have nothing. Get an extended warranty from Mazda with service network nation wide.

And many extended warranties don’t cover bumper-to-bumper. Many expensive high-tech components may not be covered. And in addition to 3-year / 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper new car wsrranty, you have 5-year / 60,000-mile power train warranty from Mazda which covers most important drive train. A usual 10-year / 100,000-mile extended warranty actually only buys you the rest 5 years or 40,000 miles on more important drivetrain components.

Some suggest self-insured warranty. Save the money you plan to use for extended warranty to cover any out-of-warranty major repairs if needed.

I’d do extensive research to get a very reliable new vehicle, thus reduce the probability of having problems. And I only bought a 10-year / 100,000-mile factory extended warranty once for many new vehicles I’ve bought. It’s for my 1998 Honda CR-V which I still have with 185K miles. Unfortunately I’ve never had a chance to use it, and $2,000 was wasted.

It’s your call.

And I only bought a 10-year / 100,000-mile factory extended warranty once for many new vehicles I’ve bought. It’s for my 1998 Honda CR-V which I still have with 185K miles. Unfortunately I’ve never had a chance to use it, and $2,000 was wasted.

It’s your call.
Exactly. Which is why I said take the $2,000 and put it into a savings account. If you happen to need it, it's there. If you never need it, well, you still have it (plus interest!).

With modern cars, extended warranties are pretty useless. With regular maintenance, even the cheapest car on the road can make 200,000 trouble-free miles with ease.

You already have a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty - why buy another one now that you'll never use for the first three years? When the original warranty is up, shop around for a good third-party warranty.

You already have a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty - why buy another one now that you'll never use for the first three years? When the original warranty is up, shop around for a good third-party warranty.
Because if for some reason they can't come up with $2000 all at once, they can take that time and save up every month, and at the end of the mfg warranty, they have a little couple thousand dollar nest egg that is there for future repairs if needed.

And the best part? If they never have to use that money, so long as they keep adding to the account, they can use it to pay cash for their next car!

You're making car payments, but to yourself, and not to a bank.

It's a Win-Win-Win way to pay for cars.

Extended warranty/service contractAre a personal decision and I won't get in to that debate. But let's be useful here - here's the numbers.......

There is so much markup on them that you can get them for a seriously discounted amount - really, like $1,400 - $1,800. Call dealers around the country and see who sells the Mazda Plan. Though I still see websites promoting The Mazda Protection Products (MPP) Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement, I believe that they are now officially sold/managed under Toyota Financial Services. For some reason/feeling I can't explain, I would only get that one.

Not all dealers sell the /Mazda one though. Call dealers around the county, tell them politely that your price shopping and ask for the their best price, I'm pretty sure you'll find some in the aforementioned price range. Probably will need to google Toyota Financial Platinum Protection

Platinum Protection​

Our highest level of extended service coverage for virtually every component group in your vehicle. Coverage terms range from 3 years/50,000 total vehicle miles to 7 years/100,000 total vehicle miles.

The only thing I buy extended warranties on are dehumidifiers. Everyone that I’ve have purchased failed after 2-3 yrs.

Think about it, the seller of your Mazda, electronic gizmo, or dehumidifier is betting that your acquisition will not cost them more in repairs than what you pay for the warranty. If you purchase the extended warranty, you are betting the opposite. The seller knows much more about the reliability of its product than you do. You are gambling with your money. The seller is making an informed decision. There are exceptions (dehumidifiers), but extended warranties usually end up being a huge money maker for sellers. They aren’t dumb. They know how to part us from our money.

Also, ask yourself, why would you buy a new CX-5 if it’s going to be so unreliable that you need to buy an extended warranty? Use your head and a little logic.

I was offered an extended warranty when I bought my 2021 CX-5. For $1800, it would have extended the bumper to bumper warranty to 84 months/100,000 mi. Of course, I turned it down. Besides the fact I am anti-extended warranty, I anticipated that big changes are coming in cars in the near future, Mazda in particular. I may not want to keep my 2021 CX-5 as long as I’ve kept previous vehicles. By the time my CX-5 is 2-3 yrs old, I may want to buy a new Mazda (or whatever) that has much better technology, engineering, styling that what I have. ALSO, if gas gets to $5+ per gallon, then my CX-5’s gas mileage (25.5 mpg since new) just won’t cut it anymore. I’ll be in the market for a hybrid or electric vehicle.

These are all perfectly valid, logical points being made. But we need to stay away from making it sound like people are being illogical for considering or buying an extended warranty. Its a personal choice that takes a lot of individual factors into account.

The best thing anyone can do is be informed about the decision you're making. Generally the CX-5 is a pretty reliable vehicle compared to what's out there, so you'll find that fewer people will recommend an extended warranty. But if you were to get one, I would suggest only the Mazda one, and not a third party warranty. The suggestion to purchase it at the end of your factory warranty is also a good one. Set aside like $50 at the end of each month - this is your warranty fund. If, at the end of your basic factory warranty, you decide that you want to extend it, you can use that money to do it. By then you'll have a decent idea of whether you want to keep the car or not, and how reliable it has been for you.

Also as mentioned before, the price on the warranty is negotiable. Be aggressive and try to negotiate up to 50% off of whatever they quote you.

Okay smartie-pants.... We all know the lack of value in an ext warranty, but how many of you buy insurance on your cell phone, huh? There - run rings around you logically.

I certainly don't.
Me neither. I buy $200 Android phones. If they get stolen, lost, submerged, or broken, I just go buy another one that may be better than the last one.

Cars are different, but still, buying the extended warranty, you are betting the car will break down and the insurer/car manufacturer is betting it won't, but if it does break down, it won't cost much to fix.

Having said that, I'm probably the one who will eventually wish he had purchased that $1800 extended warranty.😬

Okay smartie-pants.... We all know the lack of value in an ext warranty, but how many of you buy insurance on your cell phone, huh? There - run rings around you logically.
I don't buy that, but it isn't a different circumstance. The cell carrier has an incentive to keep you in a functioning phone, because you are paying them for their phone service.

Me neither. I buy $200 Android phones.
Yes! Exactly! I have Google Fi as my carrier, and they always have sub $200 phones for sale. I've even gotten one as cheap as $99 before. And, because it's Fi, they always have the latest Android updates first.

Last edited:
I buy $900 phones and don't buy insurance.
This is Apples V Oranges though. Phones have ZERO moving parts (unless you buy the Sammy Fold). If something is wrong with your phone mechanically it will show up in the first 12 months. That whole moving parts thing. After that, you'll only break it... by dropping it and cracking the screen. Todays' screens with GG 5 & 6 are pretty damn tough. It's REMARKABLE how many times I've dropped my newest phone with nary a scratch. 12 months in.

Phones are pretty reliable... you kknow what else is?
Mazdas.
Slowly becoming one of the MOST reliable brands.
If you were buying a Jeep or an Alfa Romeo, I might suggest a warranty. Not so much Mazda. ;)
"But it has so many techy thigs...." Right. A common refrain. But again... how many of these are 'moving parts'. Those are things that will break 5 years in...
Look through the forum here... how many bad radios? Very few. How many bad 'Commander knobs? One of the few moving parts? None.
How many bad "Radar cruise doesn't work anymore"? I'd put that right around ZERO.
How many Heated Seat failures? Very very few.
The only super techy thing I can think of that has moving parts are the mirrors.
In short, imo: don't do it. ;)

I would not even consider one untill the factory warranty is about to expire ~ 35 months and then only the Mazda factory warranty. Ps. I would never purchase one for a known dependable vehicle like a Mazda. Ed

Back