2017~2024 CX-5 Warranty after purchase

I would not even consider one untill the factory waraanty is about to expire~ 35 months and then only the Mazda factory warranty.
Keep in mind there is no extended "mazda factory warranty" The are all service contracts, even the "official" Mazda one sold by Toyota Financial. Not saying it's any better or worse than others, just don't conflate it with being a Mazda factory warranty.

Keep in mind things like, your non-covered muffler bearing leaks on to you covered knudsen valve - guess what, they're not going to cover your knudsen valve.

Insurance/warranty(ext) purchase is a decision depending on one's financial status.
Statistically, one would lose money buying the insurance/warranty(ext).
That is why people sell them to make profit.

If you can afford worst case scenario, you probably should considering taking the risk of not having it.

My wife got me this shirt. 😎

Attachments

• diy-auto-mechanic-i-am-the-warranty-tshirts.jpg
    diy-auto-mechanic-i-am-the-warranty-tshirts.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 102
To OP,
Be aware that ext warranty does not cover bumper-to-bumper like the OE warranty does.
Most ext warranties exclude wear and tear items. Pretty much anything made of plastic or rubber is not covered.... suspension? likely not.
Read the fine print if you intend to buy one.

When I had my 1st BMW ('98 540iA), I worried about the reliability.
Indeed, it ended up an expensive ownership. :(

I purchased a 7yr/100K ext warranty from the dealer
(3rd party one ... BMW did not sell one at that time). It costed me $2500.
In short, I needed to spend about $2000 every year for repair (after 4yr OE warranty).
Usually, only about 50% was covered, and the other 50% came out of my pocket.
For example, the coolant pump and pipes were replaced in three separate failures.
Only the water pump was covered.

Quick-to-fix was also an issue. Pre-approval was needed.
One time, the wiper motor failed before Christmas time. It was raining hard these few days. The 3rd party company was in holiday shutdown for one week. If I wanted to have it fixed, it would have to come out of my pocket.... So, I did.

Just to give you an idea.

In the end, I doubt I got my money back considering the interest rate, etc, even for such a problematic vehicle....

To OP,
Be aware that ext warranty does not cover bumper-to-bumper like the OE warranty does.
Most ext warranties exclude wear and tear items. Pretty much anything made of plastic or rubber is not covered.... suspension? likely not.
Read the fine print if you intend to buy one.

When I had my 1st BMW ('98 540iA), I worried about the reliability.
Indeed, it ended up an expensive ownership. :(

I purchased a 7yr/100K ext warranty from the dealer
(3rd party one ... BMW did not sell one at that time). It costed me $2500.
In short, I needed to spend about $2000 every year for repair (after 4yr OE warranty).
Usually, only about 50% was covered, and the other 50% came out of my pocket.
For example, the coolant pump and pipes were replaced in three separate failures.
Only the water pump was covered.

Quick-to-fix was also an issue. Pre-approval was needed.
One time, the wiper motor failed before Christmas time. It was raining hard these few days. The 3rd party company was in holiday shutdown for one week. If I wanted to have it fixed, it would have to come out of my pocket.... So, I did.

Just to give you an idea.

In the end, I doubt I got my money back considering the interest rate, etc, even for such a problematic vehicle....

NEVER buy a third party warranty. Their business model is to rip you off and deny coverage.

Back