CX-5 Tapping noise

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
Ok. Engine has been making noise for some time now. Indy mechanic last year said its just injectors. Took to dealer last year to have whole car checked out and said check the engine for any problems, especially cracked cylinder head. Vocally mentioned the sound and was told it's the injectors. They had the vehicle and heard it running.

I usually jump in my car and startup and then drive.

So today, while checking the brakes, left vehicle idling to go get my wheelchocks, and heard this from 60 feet away.

Sure sounds like the valves to me.

Also if you listen you can hear both the injectors clicking but you can also hear the tapping noise.

And it hasn't thrown any engine related codes.

Any opinions?
Lifters, HLA's or injectors ???
Thanks.

Last edited:
IMO, revving the engine to get rid of bubbles is only a temporary solution. That’s why Mazda came out the second TSB replacing switchable HLAs for the tapping noise. I can tell you the noise will come back at certain point. Keep us posted.

I believe the whole issue of this tapping noise started from the reprogramming of the oil pressure feeding to those SHLAs from the safety recall where Mazda was trying to resolve the fallen rocker arm problem on 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation. The change of oil pressure definitely affected the original SHLAs causing bubbles, and it could be something even the newer version SHLAs can’t be functioning properly sometimes.

My biggest concern is the impact this may have on the longevity of the engine. Is the oil getting to all the critical parts in the top end of the engine when it needs to, i.e. startup? Is it possible when you're running less than half the oil capacity in the pan that it affects the oil pressure, which in turn causes the top end to get noisy? Lots of questions I don't have answers for...

This is the 1st Mazda I've owned and sadly, despite the nice drive and features, it may be my last. In fact, I may sell it now, while prices are still good in the resale market.

I will be keeping my eye (and ears) on this and keep the forum updated.

Upvote 0
2018 with the same ticking noise
Video with sound of ticking
Oil(?) stain here, I didn't notice tons of oil around the engine, but I also didn't look super close.

Described in TSB 01-002/21

Bleeding procedure didn't help. Oil level perfect.

Brief chat with dealer said 2 hours of labor + part, so around $500-$1000. Is this the same issue being described in this thread? Do folks have an idea on cost and whether mazda would cover it if I'm at ~6 years ownership / 55,000 miles (just outside of the 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty?)

Any tips dealing with Mazda to get help?

Upvote 0
Oil(?) stain here, I didn't notice tons of oil around the engine, but I also didn't look super close.

Brief chat with dealer said 2 hours of labor + part, so around $500-$1000. Is this the same issue being described in this thread? Do folks have an idea on cost and whether mazda would cover it if I'm at ~6 years ownership / 55,000 miles (just outside of the 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty?)

Some dealers will go to bat for the customer. In the event that they don't, the next step is contacting Mazda Corporate. Referencing the TSB and having a detailed service history on hand while being calm, polite, and rational with the Mazda Corporate rep is about all you can do. Being able to reference other instances of this failure may help your case as well.

Upvote 0

Sounds like the HLA problem per the TSB. Has it just started? Normally it's most noticeable when you first start the car (more pronounced in colder weather). After driving around, it often dissipates. Regardless, sm1ke provides some good advice on next steps.

As for the possible oil leak, might just be some left over oil from the last oil change. Best advice there; remove the oil pan/filter plastic cover and check it out. Also, the crushable copper oil drain plug gasket will leak if it's not changed periodically, which could be your issue. Had it happen to me.

Upvote 0
The stain isn't from the oil drain area. I'll have to take a closer look.

Noise was there this morning and over weekend when temps were below 45 F, even after trying the air bleed thing. This afternoon temp is 55+ F and noise went away.

Anyone know how serious the problem is? Ok to drive generally or risking major damage?

Upvote 0
The stain isn't from the oil drain area. I'll have to take a closer look.

Noise was there this morning and over weekend when temps were below 45 F, even after trying the air bleed thing. This afternoon temp is 55+ F and noise went away.

Anyone know how serious the problem is? Ok to drive generally or risking major damage?
What brand and viscosity oil have you been using?

Upvote 0
I've been using Kirkland or Pennzoil 0W-20 with the OEM mazda oil filter. I changed the oil about a month ago using the Wix CX5 filter and Kirkland 0W-20.

Upvote 0
I've been using Kirkland or Pennzoil 0W-20 with the OEM mazda oil filter. I changed the oil about a month ago using the Wix CX5 filter and Kirkland 0W-20.
How long have you been hearing the ticking noise? Can you correlate the start of the noise to a change in oil brand, or even perhaps the noise getting more or less frequent with a change in oil brand?

Upvote 0
Can you correlate the start of the noise to a change...
I've used Kirkland for the last 3 oil changes. Noise has been happening for maybe 2-3 weeks. Might be correlates to the newest oil change with WIX filter but it could be a coincidence.

Upvote 0
I've used Kirkland for the last 3 oil changes. Noise has been happening for maybe 2-3 weeks. Might be correlates to the newest oil change with WIX filter but it could be a coincidence.
That's a really easy one to prove out, either way. Just spin off the WIX and go back to the Mazda filter (or whatever else you had been using previously). Very little oil will be lost, and you can just top it off as necessary.

Upvote 0
Back